HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cloud-9, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:26 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Discussion
Brushless Motor for Hobby Zone Super Cub

Here is the brushless motor and mount for my Super Cub brushless upgrade. This is modeled after Chuck's (NoFlyZone) mod here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=106813

The stock black motor/gearbox housing was used as a base, to retain correct thrust angle. A Dremel was used to remove the shaft housing and motor mounting sections. Two sheets of 1/16 basswood were CA'd together with grain at right angles, and painted yellow with artist's acrylic and brush, to form a mounting plate for spacers, X-mount, and motor.

I'm using a larger diameter motor and thus a larger X mount, and the bottom mount bolts were more widely spaced and intersected the walls of the mount, so I cut that area of wall away. This made the mount weaker and prevented these two bolts from holding the housing and yellow mount plate together as with Chucks, so I CA'd the mount plate to the housing. It's essentially one solid piece now.

The entire assembly is 16 grams lighter than the stock assembly (the third pic shows the two systems as weighed side by side). The motor is this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3530-10-Outrunne...742.m153.l1262
and I am using the X motor mount and the prop mount shown there.

The aluminum spacers are 3/4" long, with 4-40 cap screws. These were selected to put the propeller position in the same place as the stock setup. I ground a corner off the two top nuts in the back to clear the housing.

================ FLIGHT REPORT ==================

Just thought I'd post a flight report. I've now had a couple nice long flight days with the new motor, one with the first ESC 25a, which appears to have been damaged, even though my Emeter says the max amps I was drawing was 15. Now I am using the 32 amp Power Up ESC I bought with the motor from Heads Up RC. No problems since. We had finally a calm day, 3-4 mph. I went through 4 packs today.

Clearly, the motor is much more powerful than the stock motor with a lipo. I would say the difference is about the same as going from the stock motor/battery to the stock motor with a lipo. The new power is most evident in climbing ability. On half throttle, the plane flies level. On full throttle, it pitches its nose up about 45 degrees and just takes off. If I keep the wings level so it doesn't bank, it will stay in this climb indefinately. I can reach pretty high altitudes in no time at all. It is really great!

It also solves both problems I bought the larger motor for. At the end of the day, the wind started kicking up, pulling the ribbon out to about 15 degrees down from horizontal, so I'm guessing 15 mph. The cub with new motor had no trouble at all flying into the wind, whereas with stock motor + lipo, it would have been struggling to make any headway in similar wind.

Second, on several occasions I got pretty close to the ground. As long as the wings were near to level, I could simply go full throttle, the plane would pitch up and climb and in no time be 20 or 30 feet high. I avoided several crashes today using this, especially once I got used to it.

I really think the new motor has significantly enhanced my enjoyment of the plane. Still, I can just keep it at half throttle, and it just putts along, but silently, without the racket of the stock gearbox. And though I did not time them (next time I will), I was getting very long flight times. This may in part be because it climbed so fast I got in the habit of getting up high in a few seconds, then gliding back. I think gliding is a good way to get to be a better driver just using controls without using power to do things. Besides it's really fun. And even when the wind kicked up it wasn't a problem, if I drifted too far away, a quick burst of power would bring it right back over me.

So, all in all, definitely worth the effort and a gratifying modification indeed. I'll fly this plane like this for a while, get better, then the next fuse and wing are ready for the new motor and will get ailerons. I'm piling up planes in boxes but the SC will be my plane for a good while yet as I learn to fly.
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Last edited by cloud-9; Apr 19, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2008, 05:21 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,898 Posts
These little birds fly just fantastic in stock form; I can imagine the fun of the extra oomph and runtime you'll get with this setup. I'd love to do something similar to this to my little old ParkZone J-3, especially now that the factory is providing these with brushless motors and li-pos. Keep us posted, OK?
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:52 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDrive1061
These little birds fly just fantastic in stock form; I can imagine the fun of the extra oomph and runtime you'll get with this setup. I'd love to do something similar to this to my little old ParkZone J-3, especially now that the factory is providing these with brushless motors and li-pos. Keep us posted, OK?

Will do. I'll post on the trials and tribulations of actually flying it :-).

People but brushless motors in everything, so it should be possible to put on in your J-3.

Jim
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Clean, colorful, and precise. That's a nice looking job you did, Jim!

Man, I just looked up the specs for your motor. You plan on hauling passengers??? LOL

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:25 AM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Clean, colorful, and precise. That's a nice looking job you did, Jim!

Man, I just looked up the specs for your motor. You plan on hauling passengers??? LOL

Chuck

Hey Chuck. Thanks a lot! Means a lot coming from you.

Well, I want brushless so I can try to power through my wind, and I figured better to over estimate than under. I have a few motors now (they're almost as addicting as the planes) and can scale back if I need to.

With the ESC in the (widened out) tunnel that carries the wires from the motor, and the 2150 lipo mounted vertically at the front of the battery box, the COG is spot on.

Jim
Old Mar 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Have you gotten to fly this setup yet? It sure looks compelling. I am considering this when I decide to jump to 2.4 or 72 with my SC.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Mar 29, 2008, 04:31 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Hi, no, I went out a couple days ago all set to try it but the battery in the TX I got off Ebay died after a few minutes (had been on the charger 2 days) so I am waiting for a TX battery. I'm in the desert and it's March so 20+ every day so may have to wait for a calm day too. Eager to try though.

Jim
Old Apr 05, 2008, 12:41 AM
Oregon
Joined Mar 2008
40 Posts
Have you flown it yet?
rab_bit@msn.co is offline Find More Posts by rab_bit@msn.co
Old Apr 05, 2008, 01:35 AM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Heh, no, I also upgraded to a used JR TX and a Hitec RX. And when I went to the field, the TX battery was dead. So I bought a replacement battery and a charger, and a power supply from Astro flight. They never sent the power supply or charged my card, so I'm researching a good power supply. So will be at least another week before the maiden....

Jim
Old Apr 05, 2008, 01:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi Jim,

I hate to keep butting in on your thread, but couldn't help notice that you were researching a power supply. I myself am very pleased with my 15 amp 'switching' power supply (as opposed to the cheaper, but less effective linear regulated types). I got it at Radio Shack after doing a little research myself on various types and brands.

There are lots out there, and I'm sure there are some that are better, and some worse, than mine; but for what it's worth, mine works very well, and will power all my chargers at the same time.

Just my opinion...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:47 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Here's my setup... just in case you're interested...

Chuck

Hi Chuck, I missed this until now. Thanks much. In fact that looks just like the PS I got at RS. I think I am going to get a Mastech though. It's a bit more expensive (well more than a bit) but eventually I'll need it for A123s for my bigger planes, and I might was well get my $100 back on the RS one while I can to invest in the Mastech. Actually I will buy the Mastech on one of my grants as I may use it in my lab too.

Jim
Old May 03, 2008, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2007
31 Posts
Super Cub Brushless Question

Read and printed out your well illustrated info on brushless conversion and the flight report. You said near the end "next fuse and wing are ready for the new motor". Am curious what the new motor would be". Would you have gone to the 480 brushless. Just received a new wing to flatten and install alerions(?) and hollow carbon rod
Colvid is offline Find More Posts by Colvid
Old May 11, 2008, 12:02 AM
Flying Low & Slow is Fun
Albuquerque NM
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
SC Brushless conversion

cloud9 :I really like the variation you did on Chucks design.

Your choice of headsup motor is a good choice also.
They give such good tech info.

I'm now well informed how to beef up the SC power.
I never find stock motors that do the job here in New Mexico.

I'm located in Albuquerque at 5512 ft.

Where abouts in NM are you located?
Ernie

PS: Where did you hide your ESC?
Slowdoc is offline Find More Posts by Slowdoc
Old Jun 01, 2008, 10:08 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colvid
Read and printed out your well illustrated info on brushless conversion and the flight report. You said near the end "next fuse and wing are ready for the new motor". Am curious what the new motor would be". Would you have gone to the 480 brushless. Just received a new wing to flatten and install alerions(?) and hollow carbon rod

Hi Colvid, very sorry I did not notice this til now.

The new plane will take the same motor pictured here. Still haven't put it in, jut put ailerons in the wing, got distracted with a flat foamie 3D plane, with no success, so back to Super Cubs for a while.

The motor here is pretty close to an Eflite 480, and I think it's fair to say it is a 480 BL size.

Have you posted in the Super Cub group (3rd thread)? Come by and say hi to the gang!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852122

Jim