HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:17 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
Help!
help me get some 7th & 8th graders into RC

I've created a monster. Well actually a few of them. I am friends with a science teacher here in Fresno and she asked me to help with their kids free-flight planes. So I helped them design and build their little freeflight duration stick and tissue gliders. They won 5th place!!

So now they want to get into an electric rc plane. I need some help! I am going to donate some of my stuff I'm not using. I want them to build a slow stick - so the teacher is going to buy the slowstick with motor, I am going to donate an ESC, BATT PACK and 2 SERVOS, and a LOT of my time in the form of building help and flying lessons; but what I am asking is if anyone has a little radio with a micro RX that they can donate.... the kind with the throttle on the side would be ok, but I think a 2 stick radio might be better.

If anyone can help please let me know. If not thats ok.
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:43 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
I have a Hitec Neon-SS Ch 37, with micro receiver,
waiting for you to PM your address.
Regards,
Rick
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Mar 22, 2008, 05:07 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
Ok thanks RIck, PM returned with address. As soon as this gets going I will be posting to the forum with pictures.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
15 Posts
Neon was my first radio. Fantastic 1st radio with great quality parts.
\Edge540/ is offline Find More Posts by \Edge540/
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:27 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
Someone gave me my first radio, it was an ace stomper- it was a single channel radio with rudder only. At least the escapement mechanism was electric and not a rubberband powered gizmo.

I put it on a 049 powered schoolboy. Flew awesome. Its amazing how much fun you can have with rudder only.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
hey guys here is an update. No pictures today, I will have some tomorrow.

I suggested that maybe the kids work and save up for the plane, so one kid (Chris) actually worked and saved the money and we ordered a brushless slow stick. The plane arrived last week and we couldnt start any building until this weekend, but those things build fast.

Rick Benjamin donated the radio, I donated a lipo battery, charger, power supply, ESC and 2 new HS55 servos. I have been letting the kids do all the building - I just sit back and read the plans, show them the plans and then kinda point to what they should do. They get it really quickly and in basically 2 days of building it's almost done. Tomorrow after work I am going over and we will probably get all the RC gear ty-wrapped up to the plane and get the CG figured out.

They are really excited, and I'm going to take the flight lessons slow, I dont want them to get discouraged by a crash. I set up the controls, because they had never even seen a servo or control rod or control horn, but I have the throws tamed down.

The teacher is supplying all the stuff like scissors and packaging tape and ty-wraps, plus a great place to build and store the stuff. It's fun to listen to the boys imagine what its going to be like flying it, although they have had some experience down at the local hobby town USA on the realflight sim. I havent brought my computer home from work yet so they havent flown mine yet.

Its also fun to see them pick up on terminology that we have all known for years, but its their first time- stuff like lithium polymer, control horn, center of gravity, fuselage, vertical stabilizer, servo.

I will post some pix as soon as I get them taken tomorrow, possibly the first flight.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:42 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
I would suggest GWS Beaver's, as they are fun to build and make excellent trainers. Also, they are cheap $$$
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Well, they have a GWS Slow Stick, so that's what they're going to be working with for now.

Wow, in 7th and 8th grade, I was just getting into electric planes, and abandoning my glow fueled aircraft.

Should be interesting to see a student built plane fly. Watching a new timer fly is almost more fun than actually flying.

Have you shown off to them with some aerobatic/3D flying, like this:

DW Foamies Yak 54 (2 min 46 sec)

If you haven't, show them videos, like this, and they will be a permanent member of our exciting hobby. I wish you guys luck with your first flights.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:02 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
If the slow stick works okay, ignore this. However, my J3 Stick was odd to fly, so I cut in some polyhedral (about 2/3 out on each panel, an inch is plenty), now it flies like a really good, stable, model, and is a great trainer.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
here are a couple of pix from todays last minute building. We got the CG worked out and its all charged up. It was very windy today in Fresno, like 25 mph so we couldnt take it out and fly it.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:29 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Weather for tomorrow looks to be windy also.
Wednesday, looks to be nice and mild
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KFAT&state=CA
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Apr 19, 2008, 02:03 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
I was out of town this week and just got back. So We went out and got the first flight in. The slowstick flew very well, very docile- I do have the throws turned way down for the kiddos. Well the flight wasnt very long because the plane was being played with during the week and the battery packs were left plugged in. So it was only about 80% charged and the flight only went about 5 mins.

Chris did very well on shallow bank turns, keeping the wings level. He stalled a time or two but I was able to get it back from him in time. Then I did a demo flight on my T rex helicopter. THey all loved that.

So all in all, a good first flight experience.