HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:18 AM
Spead Eagle, WI (about 2 hours north of Green Bay)
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Build Log
Homemade AP plane construction progress-finally complete and some first AP shots

I have finally started work on my new AP plane...it is basically a Shot Getter with some different construction techniques. The fuse is fan fold that I covered in a layer of carbon fiber cloth and epoxy for strength (and I think it looks cool ). The wing is all foam construction held together with gorilla glue besides the carbon fiber arrow and another carbon fiber rod that will be used to join the wing halves to the fuselauge. I built the two wing halves separately, the skin is 1 mm depron, ribs are 3mm depron, and the pink foam running the length of each wing half is fan fold. Even without completely skinning the wing halves yet they are extremely stiff and very light weight. To complete the wing construction I still need to carve some wing tips out of solid foam, install the aileron servos, and of course finish skinning them with 1mm depron. I also want to put a protective covering on them of some type, either a very lightweight layer of fiberglass or a regular covering film, to protect my hard work from minor scratches. Hopefully I will have this plane ready to fly in time for some spring AP!
Dan
Picoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Picoflyer
Last edited by Picoflyer; Jun 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:11 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
Oooo! Nice so far!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:37 AM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Thanks Qualbird,
I am almost done with the wing construction, but before I finish sheeting the wing I am going to need to install the aileron servos inside the wing first, and to do that I need to get some servo extensions so I am putting together an order from Hobby Lobby today. On my old AP platform I had used the "Nippy Black" 1812/100 outrunner, however this plane is going to be a bit larger and I plan to carry a heavier camera so I am considering ordering the 2510/114. The only concern I have is it says that the 1812/100 is rated for up to 12 cells while the 2510/114 is only rated for up to 10 cells. Will this be a problem with my 3 cell lipoly battery pack? It seems like its right on the border of being just a bit too much voltage. I am also going to order some covering film, now the question is what colors will be best for visibility...I kind of want to do just solid white, but it seems like this color would be nearly invisible, especially against a clear sky. I am sure there is a certain pattern of different colors would be ideal, but I would rather keep the wing one solid color.
Last edited by Picoflyer; Mar 23, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:51 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Picco , I hope you dont mind some constructive criticism ...after all thats what 'build threads' are about ect...

I would have put the long arrow shaft against the foam spar , where the two will add strength to each other , the front part will add a lot of torsional strength being a 'D' box when covered

also I take it you plan to use the carbon tubes to take rods to join the wing halves , well some tubes are mostly unidirectional fibers and will split in that situation , without being wrapped with kevlar thread and epoxied at the end , brass or ali tube is better to use for wing joining tubes...

Are those going to be just ailerons or flaps as well ???
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:13 PM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
I don't mind it at all, in fact I was hoping for some I definitely see what you mean about putting the arrow shaft against the foam spar, should have thought about it before but since its already in place I can't really change it at this point but I will keep this in mind next time I build a wing of this type. You are right that I was planning to use the carbon tubes to join the wing halves. I guess I will have to make a trip to the hardware store and find some aluminum tubing...I definitely don't want my joiner rods to fail during a flight! I am planning on just using ailerons.
Thanks
Dan
Last edited by Picoflyer; Mar 23, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:58 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picoflyer
I don't mind it at all, in fact I was hoping for some I definitely see what you mean about putting the arrow shaft against the foam spar, should have thought about it before but since its already in place I can't really change it at this point but I will keep this in mind next time I build a wing of this type. You are right that I was planning to use the carbon tubes to join the wing halves. I guess I will have to make a trip to the hardware store and find some aluminum tubing...I definitely don't want my joiner rods to fail during a flight! I am planning on just using ailerons.
Thanks
Dan
Thats good Dan , if you can slide the ali tubes over the carbon ones that'll work and i would run a sub spar against the rear wing tube as well , perhaps out to the start of the ailerons
prob put some foam/spar against the main front shaft then..out about 1/3 span... or just the next rib bay past the ailerons..
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
some more progress...

Well work on this project has been slow but I have finished sheeting the wings and sanding wingtips. Here is how the wings look right now...next I will pick up some light weight spackle and do some more work on the wingtips before covering everything with white polycover.
Old May 11, 2008, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Well progress has been slow but this plane is, for the most part, ready to fly. Today I set up the power system and figured out how I am going to lay out the rudder and elevator servos. The wing is completely done now, I will post some pics of it later. I decided to cover everything with .5 oz fiberglass and polycrylic. The tail assembly is built to be removeable, as you can see in the photo. My only concern is the whole tail assembly seems to be able to twist alot from side to side even though all the parts, as far as I can tell, fit very tight or are securely glued in place. I have never built a plane with only a boom before, maybe this amount of twist is normal It just seems like a strong crosswind gust could twist the whole assembly right off. I am considering cutting off a square aluminum length from an old SS fuse, gluing that to the end of my carbon boom, and attach the tail assembly to that because I know back when I had my SS flying the tail assembly didn't twist nearly this easily.
Last edited by Picoflyer; May 11, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old May 31, 2008, 11:21 AM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Well I did fly the plane despite the twisty tail...and it was terribly unstable like I expected. I suspect my arrow shaft that I used was just too weak, although it sure seemed strong when I bought it, I guess when it has to support the weight of this plane it just isn't enough. Well I got the plane on the ground saftely somehow and decided to quickly throw together a "solution" type fuse for this plane since after looking through that build thread it seems that the front mounting options of that plane are perfect for what I am trying to achieve with this plane. Dimensions are still pretty much the same as the "shot getter" and I used pink 2" foam since I can't seem to find any white bead foam anywhere in my area. Here is the completed plane, ready for its second maiden
Old Jun 01, 2008, 02:12 PM
If it floats, it's a boat. Eh?
Cary, NC
Joined May 2008
76 Posts
Me, being an aerial photographer, I've never seen something so beautiful
Flying Soapbox is offline Find More Posts by Flying Soapbox
Old Jun 29, 2008, 05:22 PM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Well I finally have something that flies well...to make a long story short I flew it with the wing detailed in this thread but I just couldn't get it stable enough to feel confortable flying an expensive camera in (I think this was partly due to the fact that I couldn't get the CG far enough forward with the rear mounted motor) so I did what I probably should have done from the beginning: built a hot wire cutter and cut a set of wings identical to the shot getters but with slightly more wing span. As you can see this wing has dihedral so it is now a rudder-elevator only setup. I also changed the motor mount to a tractor configuration, it is mounted high enough that the camera still has a clear view and I am finally able to get the CG far enough forward with both the camera and the battery mounted up front. I tested this new setup yesterday and it flew perfectly, just some vibration issues but I hope that I have solved that with some foam that I added underneath the camera mount, I am waiting for the wind to calm down today to do another test flight. For now I am using a Nikon 3700 but once I am completely comfortable with this plane I will be using a canon tx1 so I will be able to shoot some high def video I live in an area with many lakes and I want to add floats so I can fly from the water, does anyone have any ideas on how to attach a set of floats to this plane?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:00 PM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Well today I had another successful flight and I think I am just about ready to try the tx1 out...here are a few pics from this evenings flight.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
If you put a strip of basswood with some blind nuts imbedded in it along the bottom of your fuse you could attach some floats. You could also remove the landing gear and belly land it. I've got a plane that's set up similar but built from much different components. It flies great but it's so heavy that it's restricted to hard surfaces, at least dirt or small gravel. I like the tractor setup because I can hold the nose up and make it fly pretty slowly.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)