HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2003, 05:55 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Cub carnage (or Why my user name is not Luke Skywalker)

I have this new flying spot up on a ridge by a dirt road. This morning I took the Cub and Beaver out. I was having a great time with barrel rolls and snapping out of half loops with a half barrel roll when I saw this gulch that was just calling my name. I had visions of running the Death Star channel so I dove in. Hugged the wall of the gulch most of which was visible from my vantage point, dropped my torpedoes and climbed up. Damn, torpedoes missed. Went in for the 2nd run and halfway through, felt a Tie fighter behind me. To throw them, I decided to try to fly inverted for a second and then outside loop out of the gulch. Unfortunately, I got disoriented and tried to do an inside loop instead which would've been ok if was 50 feet off the deck and not 10 feet. I lost sight of the Cub, cut throttle, and pulled up hoping for the best. Ran down and here is the carnage....
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2003, 05:58 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Tie fighter's view

Poor plane
Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:02 PM
Pembroke Pines Florida
Joined Jan 2003
498 Posts
A little ca and your back in business!
alvinm is offline Find More Posts by alvinm
Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:02 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
From the wreckage... Ultra-Cub will fly again...

Gotta love GWS planes... A little bit of epoxy, microballoons, some spare foam, strips of balsa, new dowels, electrical, packing and strapping tape, and she's back to normal. Heavier (I prefer to say, "She handles wind better with the extra weight) and stronger....
Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:04 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Oh yeah... New APC prop as well

Decided to go with a simple black (Sharpie) with red tips.
Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:50 PM
jsc
Where does it all end?
Boise/Nampa Idaho
Joined May 2000
592 Posts
Where about in Boise do you live? I just moved here from Texas about 9 months ago and have not had alot of time to do some flying, but the schedule has eased up alot. Just looking for some flying partners. Try some foam safe CA!
Jeff
jsc is offline Find More Posts by jsc
Old Jan 07, 2003, 07:28 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Yo

I live with my girlfriend in the North End of Boise (my house is in Southeast Boise). Today I flew up in the foothills (8th street), but I normally fly at a park for Peewee football off of Hill Road...
Did you bring your planes with you?
What part of TX where ya from?
Old Jan 07, 2003, 07:49 PM
jsc
Where does it all end?
Boise/Nampa Idaho
Joined May 2000
592 Posts
I have a few planes, zagi, x250, 77" twin islander, 100" wing sr. telemaster, and some others. I moved here from Waco, didnt do too much flying during the summer due to camping and other mess, plus I got kinda burned out there for a while, but the modeling flame is burning pretty hot now!! Ever done any slope soaring, I am really wanting to do some. Maybe we can get together and do some flying. I am a member of the Nampa club, but have not been out there in a while. Any others from the Boise area that fly electric?? Thanks for the reply.
Jeff
jsc is offline Find More Posts by jsc
Old Jan 08, 2003, 01:18 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
I just got into the hobby around September (10 planes ago)

Talk to Jim at Boise Hobby, he is the Electric plane guy around here it seems. I've been flying early mornings but I think that's about to change because of the job situation. I travel out East every week so will only be able to fly on weekends... Bummer... I haven't done any slope soaring as I'm still trying to master this electric thing as you can see by the pictures above... I'm not sure about anyone else flying electric around here although Jim is probably your best source. I've seen a few folks flying Firebirds and a Slowstick but that's about it. Maybe it's because I fly when most people are normally at work...
I'm up for hooking up for some flying but I'm not a member of the Nampa field although I've visited the field to watch the IC guys....