Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:18 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I might be able to help out.

Southern NJ, 08029

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Last edited by BD Flyer; Mar 24, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:24 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
Tyro...cool. Count me in if a none AMA field is OK.

Greg ...Hickory Flat , GA. thats in North Ga.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,740 Posts
Count me in for Central MA - 01519.

-Mark
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:47 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
I have a SmoothE and can confirm the quick build, solid airframe and quick to cover foam wing. I have packed mine in a sport tube and taken it on the airplane with no problems.

Mine has no landing gear. I have a prop saver on it so when I land the prop will give if it hits the ground.

I would suggest you select your plane based on how well it will fit in a shipping box. Check with USPS or UPS to see what their critical dimmensions are. No doubt someone is going to have to ship it at some point. If you exceed some special dimmension the shipping goes way up real fast.

Build the box strong but light to hold the plane, radio, battery, charger, whatever. A foam box would be best. A reinforced cooler would work well. This way no matter if it is carried in a car or shipped it will travel well. You can't assume people will drive 12 hours to hand off. I won't.

I would say my absolute max drive would be 4 hours. This is going to take some careful planning to minimize shipping or travel.

You might want to plot a path around the country and suggest people who live near certain areas. You don't have to be rigid about it but otherwise this is going to get expensive.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 24, 2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:08 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Bill,

I'll leave you off until you decide for sure.

Greg/Mark,

Thanks for volunteering. I got you signed up. Please spread the word around as we can use all the pilots we can get.

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I have a SmoothE and can confirm the quick build, solid airframe and quick to cover foam wing. I have packed mine in a sport tube and taken it on the airplane with no problems.

Mine has no landing gear. I have a prop saver on it so when I land the prop will give if it hits the ground.

I would suggest you select your plane based on how well it will fit in a shipping box. Check with USPS or UPS to see what their critical dimmensions are. No doubt someone is going to have to ship it at some point. If you exceed some special dimmension the shipping goes way up real fast.

Build the box strong but light to hold the plane, radio, battery, charger, whatever. A foam box would be best. A reinforced cooler would work well. This way no matter if it is carried in a car or shipped it will travel well. You can't assume people will drive 12 hours to hand off. I won't.

I would say my absolute max drive would be 4 hours. Figure that at 400 miles round trip. That is going to cost me $75 in gas plus about another $30 in tolls. Toss in lunch and such and you're looking at $130 and a full day on the road. I can probably ship it for less than that.

This is going to take some careful planning to minimize shipping or travel.

You might want to plot a path around the country and suggest people who live near certain areas. You don't have to be rigid about it but otherwise this is going to get expensive.
I really, really want to avoid mailing the plane if we can. I know that is a very aggressive goal, but I am confident we can pull this off with enough "legwork" and "publicity" here on these RC forums. I'd hate for anyone to have to drive too far out of their way especially at today's gas prices. That's the beauty of this project if it comes to fruition is that we will have effectively linked a whole lot of RC pilots around the USA focused on a single goal.

Signed,

Keeping my fingers crossed in VA
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:33 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
Out west is where the distances will be an issue. Lot of open nothingness out there.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Well, sending around a bigger plane means that it's less likely to be grounded due to wind. I think it's a good idea and I am pretty sure that the fuselage and wing will fit in the hatch of my New Beetle...

I would like measurements on the box you're planning to ship it around in though to confirm that it'll fit.

sweet im not the only one with a beetle as a transport vehicular
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:18 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
"Minimum parcel clearance" (or some other term... that means the trunk has to hold something That large... or larger.

"Smallest parcel"... means they don't expect you to put something smaller in.... so that would be how big the largest allowable crack ism for it to fall in and get lost...

(OK... nitpicking)

Anyone else remember the HUGE trunks of 1950's cars? '59 Plymouth I had... you could almost fit the front half of a VW bug in it. A few straps and you COULD haul the front half of the bug home with it.

Good times...

you really have A LOT of free time, don't you? editing post (and I'll be sure to point out my edit, so history is always aware of my glaring mistake...)
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:39 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
That's the beauty of this project if it comes to fruition is that we will have effectively linked a whole lot of RC pilots around the USA focused on a single goal.
Frank, I keep wondering if it would be possible to add something simple to your idea to make it even more of a chain of contact between people.

One idea: ham operators exchange "QSL cards" when they contact another ham operator, especially in a distant location. Could we borrow their idea and have the pilots exchange, say, a postcard from each every time there is a hand-off of the model between two pilots? Or do a virtual version - have each pilot do one post here on RCG in a special thread for the purpose, mentioning a little about the exchange with the pilot they got the model from, and the pilot they pass the model on to? That way we all get to share a little bit about each interaction.

Just some ideas...I keep thinking there is some simple thing we can do to make your idea a little more of a huge collaborative art project.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:08 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
you really have A LOT of free time, don't you? editing post (and I'll be sure to point out my edit, so history is always aware of my glaring mistake...)
The beauty... and the curse... of retirement is... time.

You have lots of time.

Often little to do...

If you do a special thread to track the plane...

Moderate it (you can make yourself nmoderator of a thread you start)

And limit the posts to just those that give the plane's status.

it will be much better overall...

We could accumulate the tracking of the plane's progress and then burn it to CD's to give to each pilot when the mission is complete...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:17 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagle
Frank, I keep wondering if it would be possible to add something simple to your idea to make it even more of a chain of contact between people.

One idea: ham operators exchange "QSL cards" when they contact another ham operator, especially in a distant location. Could we borrow their idea and have the pilots exchange, say, a postcard from each every time there is a hand-off of the model between two pilots? Or do a virtual version - have each pilot do one post here on RCG in a special thread for the purpose, mentioning a little about the exchange with the pilot they got the model from, and the pilot they pass the model on to? That way we all get to share a little bit about each interaction.

Just some ideas...I keep thinking there is some simple thing we can do to make your idea a little more of a huge collaborative art project.

-Flieslikeabeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
We could accumulate the tracking of the plane's progress and then burn it to CD's to give to each pilot when the mission is complete...
You guys are reading my mind. I have those ideas already in the "Guidelines" document that I'll be putting out shortly. I just have one more co-coordinator to look it over and decide on a plane and equipment set up before I release it to the world.

I'd like to have a web site to dump pics and stories, but I'm not capable of doing that myself.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas fellas, it looks like we are on the same page.

Frank
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:19 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
Out west is where the distances will be an issue. Lot of open nothingness out there.

Good thing no one from Ft Stockton TX volunteered.

Frank
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:26 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
The only issue for me is frequency control.
I am 72mhz with positive shift.
Others are negative shift, spectrum, or synthesised.

How will this be handled?

Count me in for central-northern Mass. 01331
I'm pretty close to Keene, NH.

Regards,
Kenny Sharp
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:12 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
Been to Ft Stockton a few times for an over night stay. Long drive between San Diego and East coast. I was a young man then though. There are plenty of pilots out there I just hope they all find this thread.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins