Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:52 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,373 Posts
Caveat Emptor.

I have heard several unfavorable comments about the poor quality of the t-shirts from Cafe Press. While I haven't seen one myself, I have heard enough to look elsewhere if I wanted a bunch of shirts printed.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:08 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,194 Posts
T-Shirt?

I have a feeling that we had better accomplish the task before we congratulate ourselves with a trophy.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:14 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,084 Posts
I want a T-shirt to commerate the ATTEMPT - to hell with a "trophy". If I can get a photo of me flying the WAA Squirt in my WAA SHIRT, even better. I would be happy to pay a premium for the shirt to help cover any costs that Frank incurs during the administration of the project - phone bills, Tylenol, etc.

Jim
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
Rio Rancho, nm
Joined Mar 2003
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Got it Jim, thanks! You can delete the personal info if you'd like. Can you PM me a street address please?

Thanks,

Frank
I'm JimNM's dad (bob) and I have a couple of questions. 1) is the idea to get the maximun numbers of pilots to fly the bird-IE have ten pilots fly it at the field in an hour? 2) I'm only three hours from the "Four Courners" and an willing to drive there and fly over all four states and belocated in all four states in the same flight ?? 3) I suggest a patriotic theme covering the plane . Thanx miracleman
miracleman is offline Find More Posts by miracleman
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:51 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracleman
I'm JimNM's dad (bob) and I have a couple of questions. 1) is the idea to get the maximun numbers of pilots to fly the bird-IE have ten pilots fly it at the field in an hour? 2) I'm only three hours from the "Four Courners" and an willing to drive there and fly over all four states and belocated in all four states in the same flight ?? 3) I suggest a patriotic theme covering the plane . Thanx miracleman
Hi Miracle guy!,
Welcome to RC groups.
Your questions are easy, so I'll answer them on Franks behalf:

1)No. The idea is to fly at least once in each state. Of course if a number of registered volunteers can meet up at a single location, that's fine. But no passing the plane around a club for everyone to fly!

2)The goal is to have a pilot from each state fly it in his state. As of last week, we have a volunteer from each state, though some need more to reduce driving times.

3)Absolutely--this will be a happy red, white and blue plane. The planes donor, Bill Stevens at Stevensaero is doing the covering. We are all excited to see what it looks like, but rest assured, it will look like the 4th of July.

Thanks for your participation! -Steve
Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Apr 20, 2008, 02:05 PM
upstate NY
Joined Mar 2005
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
I want a T-shirt to commerate the ATTEMPT - to hell with a "trophy". If I can get a photo of me flying the WAA Squirt in my WAA SHIRT, even better. I would be happy to pay a premium for the shirt to help cover any costs that Frank incurs during the administration of the project - phone bills, Tylenol, etc.

Jim
I'm with you Jim on the attempt. This might be a good idea too. Have a envelope in the plane transport box to put in a donation to the event. (You'll get a lot more in donations out of pocket than you will asking them to be sent in)

When you get the plane check the amount listed in the log book. If you add a donation you can log it in so the next pilot knows how much is in there. Checks and balances. Figure a donation of $5 per pilot times 200+ pilots.... We are honorable people after all are we not?

Just a thought
Tim
Tim Pease is offline Find More Posts by Tim Pease
Old Apr 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
United States, NJ, Bridgewater
Joined Nov 2007
61 Posts
Donations

Why not just setup a paypal account for donations and put a link at the beginning of the thread. Most people have one setup already anyway and even if you dont, you can make a contribution with a regular credit card. It eliminates the need for everyone to log and count money.

Warren
Grumpy Monkey is online now Find More Posts by Grumpy Monkey
Old Apr 20, 2008, 02:42 PM
upstate NY
Joined Mar 2005
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Hi Miracle guy!,
Welcome to RC groups.
Your questions are easy, so I'll answer them on Franks behalf:

1)No. The idea is to fly at least once in each state. Of course if a number of registered volunteers can meet up at a single location, that's fine. But no passing the plane around a club for everyone to fly!

2)The goal is to have a pilot from each state fly it in his state. As of last week, we have a volunteer from each state, though some need more to reduce driving times.

3)Absolutely--this will be a happy red, white and blue plane. The planes donor, Bill Stevens at Stevensaero is doing the covering. We are all excited to see what it looks like, but rest assured, it will look like the 4th of July.

Thanks for your participation! -Steve

In regards to item #1 above

"…But no passing the plane around a club for everyone to fly!"

Just my 2 cents but I think this should be left up to the registered participant. If, if the plane comes to me and there are two or three of my flying buddies going with me to the field and they're good pilots who want to take a lap I think they should be able too. We'll take a group photo and list their names, etc. However I do think that the registered pilot is ultimately responsible whether he/she fly alone or lets his/her buddies take a lap.

Look as stated in some of the earlier posts this plane might be brought and flown at few national flying events around the country. You think when the plane gets there and the registered pilot gets asked by one of the top notch, well known competitors permission to take a lap on the WAA-08 plane that the registered pilot is going is going to say "No, you can't fly it because you're not registered" I don't think so. I think the same should apply at my local field. I will however follow the rules as stated in the guidelines once they are finalized.

I also don't plan on flying WAA-08 plane like I do my others planes. I plan on a hand launch and about two or three laps around the field and pack it up.

I think a rule of thumb should be "one takeoff, one landing" You fly it more than once you playing with it.

Tim
Tim Pease is offline Find More Posts by Tim Pease
Last edited by Tim Pease; Apr 20, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:01 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Week four newsletter has been sent!

A lot of exciting stuff in this issue.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
We are down to 5 states with only one pilot in them.

I know someone must know someone here on RCG that lives in one of those states. Sure would be great to get a backup pilot plus to help share in the driving duties.

State # of Pilots
KY 1
ME 1
MS 1
ND 1
UT 1

Frank
Hi Frank,
I am the Maine pilot (#34)- the only one so far. I have forwarded info to another local pilot but he has not responded as to if he will join us. Also sent the info to a hobby shop in the Portland area. I really doubt we can find anyone in the western part of the state between me and Vermont.

Right now, it looks like my drive will be to Vermont - actually the far side of Vermont - about 225+ miles - up thru the White Mountains. If that is the way it finally works out, I think I will just take my wife and make it an overnight trip. We'll buy some great Vermont Maple Syrup!

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Joe,

I appreciate your attitude and am glad to hear it. You have a big responsibility on your shoulders being the lone Maine pilot. Thanks for helping us out!

I've been emailing and PMing folks to help in your area but no response yet. Hopefully we'll get your drive time down and you can take that overnighter sans plane.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:39 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I got the email Frank...

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:41 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
I got it twice actually. Of course that sure beats not at all!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
So far so good. I got the usual two kickbacks but no surprises yet.

Thanks for letting me know.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:53 PM
United States, NJ, Bridgewater
Joined Nov 2007
61 Posts
I got the Newsletter also,

Thank You Frank.

Warren
Grumpy Monkey is online now Find More Posts by Grumpy Monkey