SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:13 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Maybe just send plans for the box to the place the plane will be starting from. (or post the plans... since they could be adapted for other models for people who want to transport one)

Shipping the built box might cost as much as the materials to make it...

That might be the best way to go. They are quite light though.

These boxes take about an hour to build in my shop once the design is settled on, but for those with only basic carpenter tools, figure a long evening of work.

Here's the short recipe for a plane box:

1)On the corner of your workbench, layout the plane/gear in a mock up of how you want them to fit in a box. Measure Length, Width and Height needed.

2)Cut top and bottom from 1/4 ply to Length and Width plus 1.25" to allow for the thickness of the side panels.

3)Sides are 5/8" ply ripped to Height. Staple or screw sides together and then staple or screw bottom on.

4)Cut 1/2" dowels the same length as side Height. Arrange with pipe insulation to hold plane and stuff in place. Screw through bottom to hold in place. Use #8 screws and predrill a 1/8" hole in the ends of the dowels or they may split. Maybe fasten in a gear box to hold batteries, extra motor, props etc.

5)Hinges, a clasp and maybe some chest handles on the ends and you're done.
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Last edited by Griffin; Mar 24, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:31 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
Steve,

That's a mighty nice box you got there. This is definitely something I will look into doing. I appreciate the build details above.

ARCSC08 Pilots,

If you have not done so already, please PM me your email address.

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:50 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
I think you should use the Tyro 150 for this deal
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:55 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Many appropriate models to consider...

Pick one and go with it.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:00 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,601 Posts
My vote goes to the SQuiRT 400 as well. Tough little plane and can be equipped with a brushed outfit.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:00 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Smaller size would make it easier to transport and could reduce the cost of building and equipment as well. But would make wind more of a factor in flying each flight. And with the WTTM that was a big factor for some of the flights.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
Aircraft Change

Although I really like the SA SQuiRT and think it is a fantastic plane, I have reconsidered using it for the ARCSC08. I'm going with the Mountain Models Tyro 150. Overall, I think it will be a much more capable flier although it's size might be a factor for some.

If anyone has to drop out due to the fact that this is not a beginner plane or might be too big for their park field, I certainly understand. Just let me know.

I appreciate all the PMs and emails so far to date.

Frank
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:15 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Well, sending around a bigger plane means that it's less likely to be grounded due to wind. I think it's a good idea and I am pretty sure that the fuselage and wing will fit in the hatch of my New Beetle...

I would like measurements on the box you're planning to ship it around in though to confirm that it'll fit.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:29 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Squirt looks good to me. Small, simple and easy to fly.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:43 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
If you are going to consider a Mountain Models plane you might look at the SmoothE Easy to fly. Easy to transport and will handle a fair amount of wind. Pretty durable too.

And it does not need anything expensive to set up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
If you are going to consider a Mountain Models plane you might look at the SmoothE Easy to fly. Easy to transport and will handle a fair amount of wind. Pretty durable too.

And it does not need anything expensive to set up.
Dang Wes, I had my mind made up already and know you go ahead and say a crazy thing like that. You might be right though. I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Frank
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Having built about half a dozen SmoothEs I can vouch for them! They can be built in a few days time.
Nice thing too is that if you need to remove the landing gear it hand launches easy and can be belly landed if the ground is not suitable for rog and wheeled landings. Not hard to tell I like them is it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:52 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
The SmoothE would be a bit more durable/easy to fix for most folks. Not as cute as the previous two choices though. The Tyro 100 would have been a better candidate size wise. There are many birds out there that would fit the bill. I'm game no matter what you want to use. A 40% Carden would be good for me.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:07 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
my suggestion for box size: Golf Club bag. Even the smallest of cars usually use that as the benchmark "smallest parcel space"

Agreed about larger plane for wind handling. Around here I think 1 in 7 days is <5mph, but I'm hoping that improves as summer approaches. Never paid attention before November - haven't been doing this long enough!

edit: added "space" behind 'smallest parcel', to point out that's the smallest they'd make the parcel space, rather than the largest they would allow some crack or void to be, such that a "smallest parcel" might be lost inside it...
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Last edited by habitforming; Mar 25, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
"Minimum parcel clearance" (or some other term... that means the trunk has to hold something That large... or larger.

"Smallest parcel"... means they don't expect you to put something smaller in.... so that would be how big the largest allowable crack ism for it to fall in and get lost...

(OK... nitpicking)

Anyone else remember the HUGE trunks of 1950's cars? '59 Plymouth I had... you could almost fit the front half of a VW bug in it. A few straps and you COULD haul the front half of the bug home with it.

Good times...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771