HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamieking
COUNT ME IN - I am a new guy to this hobby. Just started last year and have been helped by many of you getting my birds up in the air.

I would be HONORED to fly the same plane as you guys - my field is Indiana. I would drive a couple of hours to meet another pilot and hand it off.

Let's do this!
Got you added. Thanks!

Can you PM me your name, address, phone number, email address, and club field web site if applicable?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Choosing a model for this endeavor is a daunting task, and I'm glad it's Frank who has to make the decision.

-Steve
You bet it is. Very hard indeed. Good thing I have a good support crew helping me. And picking the plane is the easy part. Trust me. Lots of behind the scenes excitement going on. From after work when I get home to bed time. But it sure is exciting!

Just to add a few things to the discussion. I agree, it is not a race and we have time on our side. My personal goal is to see completion date before the end of the year. December 14th to be exact -anyone know why? I think driving the plane to each other "should" speed up the process.

I have asked FiremanBill to post a map of the USA with pins to show the current pilot volunteers. That way we can see the holes and where we need and don't need pilots.

Let me just say this. You guys are great and I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to participate in this adventure. I am stoked about it and I know this couldn't be accomplished without all your assistance.

Speaking of assistance, here are your POCs again just so you folks are aware:

Points of Contact for the ARCSC08

Primary: Murocflyer
Alternate: FiremanBill
Alternate: Griffin
Alternate: brucea

(and one silent partner)

These guys are helping me behind the scenes in the decision making process since one guy (me) is smart enough to know this can't be done alone.

Thanks to all of the ARCSC08 pilots and thanks to all the offers to help support the journey! More on that when I get a chance.

Frank
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:20 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
So how many are on the list so far, Frank? How many states are covered?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
So how many are on the list so far, Frank? How many states are covered?
Andy,

We have 55 pilots signed up. That's 11 pilots per day volunteering!

We still have zero pilots in these states though:

AR, CT, DE, KS, LA, MD, ME, NC, ND, NE, NV, OR, RI, SC, SD, TN, & UT.

Frank
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:40 PM
upstate NY
Joined Mar 2005
151 Posts
A couple more thoughts. I do think there should be an upper limit on the number of pilots per state. If you get too many pilots then the whole process will bog down and then a year or so from now there won't be much interest in where the plane is or who has it. You could however, have several pilots fly the plane at same location, eg., members of the same club. They could supply a group shot of everyone to post in the form. I also believe there should also be a schedule of some kind, an expectation of some kind just to keep it moving.

Since we're still in the early stages. Here's another off the wall idea. A little friendly competition. Have 2 aircraft. A West coast plane and an East coast plane. Both planes start from the same place. First plane to get back to the beginning gets bragging rights, a trophy, prizes or whatever. Everyone would still get to fly one of the aircraft in the competition and it would be a good motivator to keep it moving. This would get the planes through the states in about half the time (which will still be several months anyway) and let's face it who wants to be the one singled out for holding things up. I know I'd be more motivated to get my flight in and pass the plane on. Tracking both planes on a Web map could create a lot of interest for future challenges, donation , prizes, etc. Just a thought.
Tim Pease is offline Find More Posts by Tim Pease
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Tim,

I'm having a little trouble getting enough pilots for one trip and I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for both routes and pilots. It's tough enough having time for one. I would hate to build up any animosity among forum users also. This is supposed to be just a fun and exciting journey for a lot of RC pilots around the USA and I would hate to see a "race" ruin the enjoyment of it.

I have seen a draft copy of the map with all the pilots posted. That should help limit the number of pilots in each state and help recruit pilots in those empty spots in the country.

I will post a link when it is ready.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Frank

PS I would like to come up with a catchy name. I've been told that ARCSC08 does not grab anyone's attention. Can anyone come up with a good one?

Thanks,

Frank
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:59 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,887 Posts
Count me in for Northern California. Carmichael, a suburb of Sacramento.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Sure it does, but with your attitude ... why even consider the challenge?
I'm sorry, but evidently I'm just not getting through to you. This is not about my attitude - this is about an attempt to make an unemotional risk assessment, based on typical crash statistics all of us see at our flying fields and flying sites.

Frank pointed out that the World Tour Tiger Moth was crashed several times during the tour. I think that fact is a pretty good indication of whether I'm being "pessimistic" or realistic.

We can all be cheerily optimistic about never crashing, but how many of us drive without auto insurance? We have insurance because we know that we may need it some day (and most of us do, sooner or later).

It's exactly the same thing with Frank's project. We need "insurance" in the form of planning ahead on how to keep the project moving even if there is a crash, possibly a severe one. Franks guideline that any pilot who crashes the model is responsible for its repair is a good start, but realistically, if the model is built from a kit, there is going to be huge delay involved: the person who crashes the model has to order a kit and then find enough hours to build it (assuming he even has the skills to do so). I think this is just not practical, so my suggestion is to rule out any kit-built model and go with an easily replaceable ARF.

But as I said before, it's Frank's call, and I'm sure he'll tell us his decision eventually.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
Count me in for Northern California. Carmichael, a suburb of Sacramento.
Gotcha CC, thanks!

Frank
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:09 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer

PS I would like to come up with a catchy name. I've been told that ARCSC08 does not grab anyone's attention. Can anyone come up with a good one?

Thanks,

Frank
FAS (Flight Across the States)?
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagle
I'm sorry, but evidently I'm just not getting through to you. This is not about my attitude - this is about an attempt to make an unemotional risk assessment, based on typical crash statistics all of us see at our flying fields and flying sites.

Frank pointed out that the World Tour Tiger Moth was crashed several times during the tour. I think that fact is a pretty good indication of whether I'm being "pessimistic" or realistic.

We can all be cheerily optimistic about never crashing, but how many of us drive without auto insurance? We have insurance because we know that we may need it some day (and most of us do, sooner or later).

It's exactly the same thing with Frank's project. We need "insurance" in the form of planning ahead on how to keep the project moving even if there is a crash, possibly a severe one. Franks guideline that any pilot who crashes the model is responsible for its repair is a good start, but realistically, if the model is built from a kit, there is going to be huge delay involved: the person who crashes the model has to order a kit and then find enough hours to build it (assuming he even has the skills to do so). I think this is just not practical, so my suggestion is to rule out any kit-built model and go with an easily replaceable ARF.

But as I said before, it's Frank's call, and I'm sure he'll tell us his decision eventually.

-Flieslikeabeagle
FLB,

We have decided to have a spare ready for shipment -pre-built, boxed and ready to ship if needed. Hopefully it won't come to that, but we will be ready if it does.

Frank
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:12 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
I would like to come up with a catchy name. I've been told that ARCSC08 does not grab anyone's attention. Can anyone come up with a good one?

Frank
Hmm. The Flying Handshake? The All America Pilot Brotherhood tour? Little Wings Across America? The Flying Bucket Brigade? The Flying RC Patchwork Quilt? (each individual flight being one square of the "quilt"). The 48 State Flying Friendship Tour?

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,794 Posts
God Bless America Tour GBAT08 Robert
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:18 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
FLB,

We have decided to have a spare ready for shipment -pre-built, boxed and ready to ship if needed. Hopefully it won't come to that, but we will be ready if it does.

Frank
Frank, great idea. May I suggest one more step? Any person who damages the original to the point of needing the backup plane is responsible for buying a replacement kit and covering material, and will send that backup plane to you or a person nominated by you who has agreed to build the kit. (A designated builder, if you will.)

That way, if the original is used up and the backup is now on tour, there will be another backup being put together behind the scenes, ready to be shipped out should disaster strike a second time. And when the tour ends, the person who originally bought the (first) model that was crashed will have a replacement already built and ready for him.

I feel rather sexist using "him" everywhere, but I'm being realistic: it's probably a safe assumption no women have signed up to be part of this tour?

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
FLB,

Great idea. I'll have to put that in the guidelines. I like that!

Thanks,

Frank

PS No woman has signed up yet so "him" is fine. We can adjust if necessary.