HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2008
18 Posts
Discussion
Anyone use those crash protection thingees? Can anyone recommend?

Greetings,

Some of the sites that sell Helicopters also sell these things they call crash protection.

They are beams with orange plastic balls on the end that would stick out past the rotors.

Has anyone used them? Anyone recommend them?

How about for using with the 5g6? How about with a cheaper Heli like the Micro Mosquito?
bengaldave is offline Find More Posts by bengaldave
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:58 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengaldave
Greetings,

Some of the sites that sell Helicopters also sell these things they call crash protection.

They are beams with orange plastic balls on the end that would stick out past the rotors.

Has anyone used them? Anyone recommend them?

How about for using with the 5g6? How about with a cheaper Heli like the Micro Mosquito?
Training gear. I don't know if there are available TG kits for such small helis as the 5g6 or MM. But you could just as easily make them out of plastic rods and balls, secured in whatever fashion it takes.

Training gear is a good investment for anyone not familiar with helicopters if replacement parts cost and waiting time for such is an issue.

The idea is to provide a much wider lateral surface for the heli to land on if one goofs. This significantly reduces the risk of damage to the helicopter in comparison to the narrow skids they are equipped with.

Regards
rbinc is offline Find More Posts by rbinc
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
784 Posts
They're a reasonable deal for the first time flyer. 1st, they provide a much wider landing stance and a shock absorber - if you come down hard or at an odd angle m the heli won't smash the skids or tip over. 2nd, they provide a bit of protection from blade strikes against walls, etc. You can't plow full boogie into a wall and expect much, but in a light brush the balls hit first. 3rd, the extra weight means higher rotor speed adding gyroscopic stability.

I'm an absolute clutz and was a complete virgin to helicopters. The training wheel set came free with my CX2, so I put them on. After 4 battery packs, they came off. Of course, every crash afterward, I wish they were there, but only for that instant.

If you use them, make sure to keep the center of gravity the same. Usually this means the crossing point of the rods is directly inder the shaft centers, and that the balls are even distances from the center.
41North is offline Find More Posts by 41North
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I use them a lot, on single rotor helis. They keep the tail off the ground, lower the COG, provide cushion and a much bigger footprint for landing and don't snag in grass or rugs on takeoff. They hurt performance and response, but I've got a way to go before I'm good enough for that to be an issue.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
I don't think the 5-6 would do very well with them, it needs the power it has to fly.
vaporboy is offline Find More Posts by vaporboy