HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:11 AM
Romeo, MI
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
Help!
Does anyone have plans for a Peanut Scale Nesmith Cougar?

Hi,

I would like to convert a Peanut Scale model into a small electric, and I was told that the Nesmith Cougar has the largest wing area available?

Does anybody have any plans of this aircraft that they would like to share with me?

If anyone has plans to any Peanut Scale models that have more wing area than the Cougar, that would even be better!

I know there are kits available from several manufacturers, but I prefer to scratch build these tiny little models.

Thank You,

Mark
3D Romeo is offline Find More Posts by 3D Romeo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:43 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Mark
The Cougar wing area is relatively small ---- if it's really low wing loading you're after, perhaps try a Lacey M10: although there is no dihedral it flies very well on rudder, and there is a peanut kit available from "Peck Polymers".
Here's a plan showing rigging angles which work!
http://peanut.scale.free.fr/p-laceym10.htm

Good luck

Peter
peter frostick is offline Find More Posts by peter frostick
Last edited by peter frostick; Mar 21, 2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:02 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Walt Mooney was a prolific Peanut designer, and pretty much started and fueled Peanut Scale in the late 60's and 70's. Most of his plans have been collected on the FAC Europe site. Their plans page is at: http://web.mac.com/tectonite/iWeb/Si...ns%20page.html
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:48 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
There's a few free Peanut plans available from A2Z (New owner of Peck products). I've read very good things about the new laser cut Peck kits that are now available.

http://www.peck-polymers.com/store/Category.asp?Cguid={09DA66CF-CA1C-4FB6-8707-AF3D03AC2BD1}&Category=ModelSupplies%3APlans

http://www.peck-polymers.com/store/Category.asp?Cguid={09DA66CF-CA1C-4FB6-8707-AF3D03AC2BD1}&Category=ModelKits%3AFF+Rubber+Power ed
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:50 AM
Romeo, MI
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
Thanks for all the feed back guys!

Our club has an annual indoor fly-in with two entry classes. One is for true Peanut scale models, and the other is a mini electric class. This year I converted an old Guillow's P-51 to an electric FF model using parts from an AirHog type infrared helicopter. This model was larger than Peanut scale (15-3/4" WS) because the radio gear was to large to fit into a Peanut sized model. Next year I would like to put together a true Peanut scale aircraft, and be able to control it in flight too!

I won't need the airplane until next February...So I got plenty of time to research this project.

Thanks again for all replies, and photos, and links!

Mark
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:48 AM
St.paul, MN
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
Mark,
did you do a build log for your p-51? I have some heli parts I would like to use too.!
tgg61 is offline Find More Posts by tgg61
Old Mar 21, 2008, 02:48 PM
Romeo, MI
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
P-51

tgg61,

I didn't do a build log, but I'll try to describe briefly what I did to modify the Guillow's P-51 to incorporate the R/C heli parts.

First off, I didn't build the airplane myself. The contest date snook up on me, and I didn't have time to build one myself. So I looked to a box of old rubber band models that my Dad, and younger brother built years ago. All of my Dad's models were to small to fit the heli gear in. So my only choice was to use the P-51 that my brother built years ago for a school project.

The only modification needed to the airframe was to remove one stringer between the firewall, and the first bulkhead, and the covering from this area.

As for the modifications made to the heli, I removed all the inner workings from the heli, and cut off the tail, along with the tail motor. Next I cut off all the parts of the heli frame that weren't necessary for the airplane. Which left basically the circuit board, battery, main motor, and geartrain. I left all these components attached in one unit. Next I removed the main blade along with everything else attached to the main shaft. Since the main blade is mounted on pivot pins on the heli, I had to remove the little retaining plate on the back of he blade, and make a small adapter to mount it as a fixed prop on the main shaft. This was easily done from a 1/4" dowel, and a lathe. I just glued it to the back of the prop. I actually originally planned on using the same Guillows Prop that was used for the rubber band version (because it fit the shaft perfectly), but I found out later that the motor in the heli turns the opposite direction as an airplane motor...the plane went backwards LOL! I had the gear all mounted in the airplane, and couldn't access the wires to reverse the direction of he motor. So that's when I decided to modify the heli blade to use as my prop. There was a spline in the main shaft. So I just needed to press fit the prop adapter I made for the prop onto the shaft (no glue needed). Oh, I did have to shorten the diameter of the main blade/prop, and reshape it a bit, using some nail clippers.

Since the heli shaft, and the airplane shaft, were the same diameter. I was able to use the shaft bearing from the Guillows kit. I just glued it to the firewall with a couple dabs of hot melt glue. I did have to shorten the back of the plastic bearing though (it interfered with the gearbox). The motor assembly fit like it was designed for this airplane! I just slid the shaft through the plastic bearing, and attached it to the inside with a couple dabs of hot melt glue. I didn't mount the battery anywhere inside the airframe. It just rests on the inside attached to the wires.

The spinner was the hardest part of the whole conversion. I couldn't use the spinner that came with the model because the heli blade's pitch goes the opposite direction (since the motor turns the opposite dirtection). Luckily, I found out that an old shovel handle was the exact diameter as the spinner. So I taped a block of regular old white foam from some packaging I had laying around, and turned the spinner on my lathe. You can rough it in with very sharp cutting tools. But they still tear up the foam pretty good. So don't get to close to the final shape. Next I went to rough sand paper, and then kept using finer, and finer sand paper until you reach the final shape. I was surprised at how nice I was able to get the finish from just regular old white foam! The hard part was making the cut outs for the blades though. I didn't time it, but it probably took me a couple hours to finish it! Normal spinners are hollow. So it's easy to just make the cut outs for the blades, but when you are working with a solid spinner it's definitely allot harder.

The AUW of the P-51 was 32 grams, and it balanced perfectly without having to add any additional weight.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos of the airplane, and the inner workings. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Mark
Last edited by 3D Romeo; Mar 21, 2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Just forgot a few things