HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:51 PM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Discussion
Swift Boats in NYC Harbor?

Just finished watching (again) "National Treasure". In the harbor scene with the carrier Intrepid, there is a shot of what looks like a Swift PCF, very brief shot. Did the NYC Harbor Patrol ever use any surplus Swift PCF's?
Dave
a67ems is offline Find More Posts by a67ems
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:02 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
I don't think NYPD used surplus PCF's. The PCF was a COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) type purchase for the Vietnam War. The USN bought modified oil rig crew boats from boat yards on the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of yards produce similar looking designs - and they are used for various jobs around the waterfront.

Here's a link to sme history of the NYPD Marine Units.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:46 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems
Just finished watching (again) "National Treasure". In the harbor scene with the carrier Intrepid, there is a shot of what looks like a Swift PCF, very brief shot. Did the NYC Harbor Patrol ever use any surplus Swift PCF's?
Dave
Bob's right, Dave. There were no surplus Swifts. All of the boats afloat in 'Nam were turned over to the Vietnamese Navy in 1972 so you know where they are now. PCF 1 & 2, the training craft at Coronado were sent to the Panama Canal for patrol duties by the Panamanian government but were recovered during the Noriega operations and returned to Little Creek Va where they were overhauled and one was dedicated at the Washington Navy Yard in 1995 on permanent display (after we got to drive our wives & other significant others around the Patomac at the very first Swift boat reunion), the other sold to the University of North Carolina (I think) as an oceanagraphic research vessel. PCF-104 was recovered from Bremerton and made into a memorial with other brown water navy craft at the Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado, CA.

John
Swift16 is online now Find More Posts by Swift16
Last edited by Swift16; Mar 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 09:01 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
The R/V Matthew F. Maury (ex-PCF-2) is operated by Tidewater Community College in Virginia and is the last running swift boat afloat.

capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift16
Bob's right, Dave. There were no surplus Swifts. All of the boats afloat in 'Nam were turned over to the Vietnamese Navy in 1972 so you know where they are now. PCF 1 & 2, the training craft at Coronado were sent to the Panama Canal for patrol duties by the Panamanian government but were recovered during the Noriega operations and returned to Little Creek Va where they were overhauled and one was dedicated at the Washington Navy Yard in 1995 on permanent display (after we got to drive our wives & other significant others around the Patomac at the very first Swift boat reunion), the other sold to the University of North Carolina (I think) as an oceanagraphic research vessel. PCF-104 was recovered from Bremerton and made into a memorial with other brown water navy craft at the Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado, CA.

John
There are surplus swift boats in florida. the millitary had them built during the end of the war and never payed the manufacture there are nine and in the companny ware house with out weapons or engins I know ive seen them
mikedarrow is offline Find More Posts by mikedarrow
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedarrow
There are surplus swift boats in florida. the millitary had them built during the end of the war and never payed the manufacture there are nine and in the companny ware house with out weapons or engins I know ive seen them
Can you get us some pics?
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:26 AM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedarrow
Since Sewart Seacraft built the US Navy Swifts they also built Mark II versions for other countries. Bit, I am surprised to hear of other new Swifts in storage, much less nine of them. Who has them warehoused? What city?

John
OinC, PCF-16
Swift16 is online now Find More Posts by Swift16
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
I have a question. Wasnt the Swift boat hull a generic hull and then modified for the military? These boats in the pic look like they can pass for Swift boats.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Last edited by gpzy; Jul 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM.