HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:09 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
I must say this is the easiest dart to build.... Watch that hot melt tho, it's rough on the fingers, OUCH!
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:27 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Frank, by the look of your one picture, I take it you mount the battery on the top of the wing?
I've a 7.4, new, 300mAh that I just got.. Should do the trick with the 5gr motor, huh?
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:59 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Looks like I'm gonna be in the 8 oz range on my 22 incher. Time will tell...tomorrow! Maybe I can be the first to put a video of this on here. Surely others will join the fun then.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:08 AM
Nashua NH
Joined Jan 2007
307 Posts
Congrats on the flights Paul, even if short. Windy AGAIN this morning . There's a small skate park down the street I like to go to early in the morning before the kids get there. But it is in between 2 tall apartment buildings that make it like a wind tunnel.

Happy Easter friends!

David
DavidWent is offline Find More Posts by DavidWent
Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2004
399 Posts
Mine's ready. 5.8oz AUW with a 2s 700mah battery. Just waiting for the wind to die down.
flipflop is offline Find More Posts by flipflop
Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:57 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
I put my wingtips on at 24 degrees as per plan. I used what I call an angle copier (it may have another name) to measure a 24 degree angle with a protractor and then layed the angle copier up against one tip at a tim. While holding it there I put a few dabs of hot glue to keep it in place and let it sit for a minute to keep the angle. After I did this to the other side, I layed the NB upside down and filled the gap (were I put a little hot glue) with gorilla glue and covered with blue masking tape.

A strip of 6 mm Depron a little over an in wide was used as lateral bracing, as well as to help mount electronics.

- Jeff
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:50 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
784 Posts
flipflop
Great looking NB! Is that a 20 incher? Give us some stats on it

Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:14 PM
Montgomery, AL
Joined Oct 2006
18 Posts
Thanks for a new experience guys! This is a quick build, low cost fun machine. I have access to a band saw which makes a perfect circle every time, no holes in the foam and square edges.
Thanks for the design. I let all who expressed interest fly my Nutball. No complaints, just smiles.
Artyfact in Montgomery

Artyfact is offline Find More Posts by Artyfact
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,416 Posts
Cool tailskid idea Arrtyfact.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Just got back from maiden flight and I am quite impressed! I would say that this is much better than the dart but I would be complementing and insulting you at the same time .

Wind was pretty steady and at least 10 mph. I did a few loops, inside and out. This thing does the best outside loops of any plane I've had so far, even at half throttle. It tracks all the way through without veering left or right (especially because the wingtip balance is dead on). .

It rolls, too! If you're going fast enough you can do consecutive rolls easily. They are almost axial. At slow speeds it just corkscrews but I expected that.

I was not able to trim out the tendency to turn left, so I must have to put a little more right thrust in.

It was getting dark already when I left to the park so no video.

- Jeff
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Well, I did get a little time this weekend to get a 17" NB cuto out of $tree foam. One skewer cut in half. One half on LE and one half on the bottom near the elevator. BTW, I have never had readiboard not come loose easily with 50% alcohol. This sheet just would not give up one side. Will only be a test plane as the bottom side paper removal just won't do in a keeper. Also re did dihedral on 18.75" Squirt to 24 degrees as well.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:27 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki
I cut out the pieces and am putting it together right now. I'm using 1.9 9 mm EPP, but I am wondering if 6 mm would cut it? Also, 1.3 or 1.9? Is there something that's sort of standard for planes this size? Or to each his own?

Is there any reason I could not use a piece of 6 mm depron for the bottom lateral bracing since it's stiffer than epp?

This is my first EPP build...What are some particular places that need bracing?

Seems your well on the way to answering your own questions. But, here's what I have found using EPP.......

The 1.3 is lighter, but much floppier, especially the 6mm, so it needs more bracing. Also, I've had problems with warps that are impossible to remove, that's why the 'X' brace on the bottom my NutBall. That pi**ed me off, since before that I was under 4 ounces and that was my goal. I stick to the 6mm for smaller models, like 18" and under, and the 9mm for the big uns.

The only bracing I added to my 17 and 20 incher was a CF flat just in front of the hindge line and one the same distance back from the LE, plus one along the bottom spline/fuse.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:34 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 24, 2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:52 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
Congratulations to those of you who have achieved your maidens and thanks for all the positive comments from everyone so far. It sure is fun seeing you guys have fun.

Great lil' flying machine eh? Just wait til you get some stick time in with it and find it's limits. I haven't found any so far. Ya well, sure it's doen't knife edge, not supposed to.

The NutBall could very well be the one to knock the R/E/T crown off the Smart Dart's head and relegate to second best. You guys tell me.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:28 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Time for some midnight fly-by-streetlight flying with the NB!

- Jeff