HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2008, 06:14 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCheetahs
What size should I build with a 2410-09y motor and a 1147 prop.
Also should I use 2s or 3s.
Thanks
That motor is about 65g. Pretty heavy if you ask me. You would have to build your NB pretty large (I'm guessing 30"?) to retain it's flying characteristics. Any chance you could pick up a 16g or 24g motor somewhere?
woolebugr is offline Find More Posts by woolebugr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2008, 06:26 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,931 Posts
Finally got my 32" nutball decor on... I used 2" wide colored packing tape as usual, and had to fly the flag again.... dave
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jul 01, 2008, 11:09 AM
Registered martian
Planet Mars... We come in peace
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
I will probably go with 30" based on my bigger motor and prop, through I do
have a b2208/14 1450kv?
Would bluecore work?
Thanks
FlyingCheetahs is offline Find More Posts by FlyingCheetahs
Old Jul 01, 2008, 07:22 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
CaptPJB - I can enthusiastically report that on a 2s lipo, you would have more than enough room and it's a lot of fun flying the NutBall as a back yard flyer!!

20" nutball, 24g motor 8x4.3 prop, 2s lipo and the nutball flew nice and slow, plenty of room, plenty of power to spare - I flew at significantly less than 50% throttle most of the time. The video was on 3s lipo and that landing was harsh.

Wish I had the time to post a decent short video of flying the NB on a 2s lipo - probably will in a couple of weeks or so.

My FFF NutBall is still flying and the landings are usually soft - Still waiting for the EPP.

Lots of fun to everyone - aeroknot
aeroknot is offline Find More Posts by aeroknot
Old Jul 01, 2008, 07:32 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
FlyingCheetahs - I'm no expert, but I think blue-cor would work fine at 30", but you might need one or two spars like the EPP build. My 20" FFF with no spars is a lot of fun.

To get the dihedral symmetrical, I got the appropriate height of books and placed the NB upside down on the books and then glued the dihedral cuts. (low temp hot melt glue the whole build, except my landing gear). Skin side is top on the plane, the dihedral cut only is partway through the thickness of the FFF (on the non-skin side), then bend over an edge to complete the crack.
aeroknot is offline Find More Posts by aeroknot
Old Jul 01, 2008, 08:54 PM
Registered martian
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Decided to build the 20" one.
Going to get a new motor which one should I get?
Thanks
Old Jul 01, 2008, 09:33 PM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCheetahs
Decided to build the 20" one.
Going to get a new motor which one should I get?
Thanks
This is the motor I used with this speed controller and a 9x7 prop. I use this 2s lipo and get plenty of flight time. Here are the servos I used.
Shipping from China is about $8 so for about $50 plus your receiver, you have an awsome flyer that can go from front yard to flying field and everywhere in between. Good luck, Murray
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:16 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Or virtually spend the same amount of money at lazertoyz.com buy from local U.S. folks with great customer service. Spend $50 and shipping is free. Their choices are somewhat limited, but between them, buying used from other members, and my closest LHS (40 miles), I have fought against buying outside the U.S. with complete success. I had a bw on my 20" and went for something bigger and hotter. Overpowered with out much more weight is even better. Just my humble opinion.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jul 02, 2008, 01:52 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,931 Posts
Another great session with our nutballs...

Richard has made another two ...one at 17" and one a 32"

His 32" is made all from 3mm depron in the near black color. He has put on a KF step at 50% which has made a nice and stiff light weight wing. His AUW came in at only 16oz which made the wing loading less than 3oz sq ft.
He used one of the little blue motors an 11.1 lipo and a 8x4gws prop
( for motor -see post by woolebugr.. weve been plugging these for ages,) which has made it poor on verticals, only 13oz thrust..but it flies just great for normal use..Again though it has roll problems, it just wont....However it glides a treat, and I would not be surprised if it doesnt thermal ok.

His 17" again from 3mm depron uses the same motor, it has an auw of 7oz flies at just under 5oz sq ft. It goes much faster and is highly responsive. His push rods were too bendy so he will replace them and we will be able to give it a better go. with a high power to weight (13 to7) the small version will be a blast...this one will roll I am sure...

If you are building with depron I recomend using the 3mm and also add the 50% KF step.. It makes for a lighter stiffer wing,

The picture shows my 32" and richard 17" versions ... the red white and blues are a highly visible colour scheme....
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jul 02, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2008, 04:55 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
Or virtually spend the same amount of money at lazertoyz.com buy from local U.S. folks with great customer service. Spend $50 and shipping is free. Their choices are somewhat limited, but between them, buying used from other members, and my closest LHS (40 miles), I have fought against buying outside the U.S. with complete success. I had a bw on my 20" and went for something bigger and hotter. Overpowered with out much more weight is even better. Just my humble opinion.
That's a nice concept, in theory, but where do you think they get their stock? It's all from China anyway so it really doesn't matter where you buy your rc gear, your money is still going overseas. Buying from a domestic vendor will save you about a week or so in transit time so it does have it's advantages. I will bookmark Lazertoyz.com, their prices are not too bad. Peace
Old Jul 03, 2008, 06:28 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Lazertoyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolebugr
That's a nice concept, in theory, but where do you think they get their stock? It's all from China anyway so it really doesn't matter where you buy your rc gear, your money is still going overseas. Buying from a domestic vendor will save you about a week or so in transit time so it does have it's advantages. I will bookmark Lazertoyz.com, their prices are not too bad. Peace
Been using Dan at Lazertoyz for over a year now, very satisfied with his stock and shipping, which is almost immediately..
He is getting more and more stock in each day, so, check him out, and tell him Art sent ya....
Darn nice pair, Dan and Dianne...
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Jul 03, 2008, 07:37 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Another great session with our nutballs...

Richard has made another two ...one at 17" and one a 32"

His 32" is made all from 3mm depron in the near black color. He has put on a KF step at 50% which has made a nice and stiff light weight wing. His AUW came in at only 16oz which made the wing loading less than 3oz sq ft.
He used one of the little blue motors an 11.1 lipo and a 8x4gws prop
( for motor -see post by woolebugr.. weve been plugging these for ages,) which has made it poor on verticals, only 13oz thrust..but it flies just great for normal use..Again though it has roll problems, it just wont....However it glides a treat, and I would not be surprised if it doesnt thermal ok.

His 17" again from 3mm depron uses the same motor, it has an auw of 7oz flies at just under 5oz sq ft. It goes much faster and is highly responsive. His push rods were too bendy so he will replace them and we will be able to give it a better go. with a high power to weight (13 to7) the small version will be a blast...this one will roll I am sure...

If you are building with depron I recomend using the 3mm and also add the 50% KF step.. It makes for a lighter stiffer wing,

The picture shows my 32" and richard 17" versions ... the red white and blues are a highly visible colour scheme....
Hi Dave

Nice tape work the "old glory" looks good but better fly the "jack" I suppose .

Was that on white depron or grey , I may ty that on bluecor

Is that a brace across the 32"? (details)

We were speaking about big, what about a 48" powered by two EDF mounted on the LE dont know if it would fly but sure would sound cool. (how big can we build this thing)

We went out two nights ago with the 24" NB and Olly nearly took my ear off .
I felt the wind of the prop as it passed me I have some video but need to edit as it is ten minutes long in all.

You were right about lifting abillity, the esc was playing up and it would not acept 900 2s lipos so ran it with some 1500 3s and then put on a 24003s and it still flew well (I couldnt say it was a floater but it still hovered, the speed increased somwhat)

Regards Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Jul 03, 2008, 01:26 PM
Registered martian
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
What size music wire should I use for the landing gear.
Thanks
Old Jul 03, 2008, 02:15 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
I use the marker flags (the small red or yellow flags used to mark sprinkler heads and what not in your yard) from Home Depot for the landing gear. They bend easily but support the weight of the plane and take the shock of a not so perfect landing.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Jul 03, 2008, 02:25 PM
Tornado Alley
Joined Nov 2001
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewz
I use the marker flags (the small red or yellow flags used to mark sprinkler heads and what not in your yard) from Home Depot for the landing gear. They bend easily but support the weight of the plane and take the shock of a not so perfect landing.
What a great idea, FlyingCheetahs go look for some construction sites and grab the flags they use for marking burried lines. Obviously ask if they are done digging first.
40acrefield is offline Find More Posts by 40acrefield