HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:07 AM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
Income taxes are almost done, then build build build... and maybe even fly some.... But there is the little problem of a vacation in Mexico, March 1 - 16... darn!!!! I am 80% finished with my full fuse version of Chara's Biplane made from black meat trays... Then I will experiment with the short radius wire cutter to make a full airfoil NutBall.
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:39 AM
Lets break some props :D
United Kingdom, Liverpool
Joined Jun 2008
4,567 Posts
how will you cut the foam to make the aerofoiled NB?

oh and have you got a link for that "Chara's Biplane made from black meat trays"? pleeease?

...just curious...
joseico90 is online now Find More Posts by joseico90
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jun 2008
4,567 Posts
JetBall

Couple of flights today with the JetBall, tried rearward CG...not good, too windy.

Short video of the second flight with normal CG, too windy...landed and went home with model in one piece.

Flying the JetBall on a windy day (1 min 14 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
Here is the link to the thread.. the plans are on page 4... it is a cross profile, but Jurgen and others have made full fuse versions just by cutting double copies of vertical profile and making formers between them... The black meat tray thing is my creation... Here is the link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497522

Here is a link to a picture of the cowl of my slowly, but the "meatball of the sky" or "the flying steak" (not sure of the name yet) it is in post # 387 on that page... When I get back to it, I will do some build photos.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...686460&page=26
Gary
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
Jose.. just watched you video... you are a great builder, and a greater flyer....
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,567 Posts
cool, thanks Gary!

Had a look at those two threads, I've been very close to building that Bipie for the last,,umm over two years, is a real good looker (to me anyway)

BTW couldn't find out what those meat trays were, I'm always open to using new materials if I can get them over here.

And you din't mentioned how would you do the aerofoil Nutball thinggy yet?

Cheers !
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:59 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,454 Posts
A flying buddy has been after me to build a bipeball. Done some preliminary design work, but a lot more to do before cutting foam.
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
Meat tray Biplane

The meat trays are what most markets use here to package meat on... usually beef, chicken is yellow... Pork can also be black... Any how it takes six T-Bones worth for each wing... etc.. or three large packs of ground beef...

Here is a pic of the progress and the remnants of the trays..
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:10 AM
Joined Jun 2008
4,567 Posts
def not suitable for vegetarians! I consider myself lucky to be able to buy Depron easily over here.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:43 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseico90 View Post
def not suitable for vegetarians! I consider myself lucky to be able to buy Depron easily over here.
And for those of us who get weirded out by e-coli / salmonella possibilities, I sure hope you wash those meat trays well

I do applaud the ingenuity and making do with what's at hand.... and, heck, (for a meat-i-tarian ) an awesome excuse to enjoy a few extra BBQ dinners! LOL

Cheers,
J
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:11 AM
Flying one day at a time....
United Kingdom, Pardshaw
Joined Oct 2012
1,465 Posts
Hey there, guys!

I've been storing up this idea for a month or more, hoping it would go away. But now you are all thinking BipeBalls I have to set it before you and see what you think........

What you need to know is that I have two identical 17 inch Nutball ariframes that I never kitted out with electronics or servos. So they are "virgin" Nutballs. My idea - just tell me its really dumb - is to set each 17 inch Nutball on the dihedral tips of a 25 inch Nutball. They would have to be aligned so that the two 17 inch Nutballs had their 25% CG directly on the 25% CG of the 25 inch Nutball.

The result would be a sort of TriBall (not Tribal, though thats not a bad name.....).

You could even give the two 17 Nutballs a slight +ve incidence (1 degree) to the main "mothership" Nutball.

And if you really wanted to get complicated you could link rudders and elevator surfaces....

Well, I feel a lot better now I've got that off my chest.

Dave
pardshaw is offline Find More Posts by pardshaw
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:22 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,594 Posts
TriBall eh? You could just stack them like one of those old ww1 triplanes... would be easier to mount I suspect. Though it wouldn't look as Nutty ;-).

I think you should build it and upload pics to Phoenix - ROTFL!

Or just build it anyway. That's what this is all about - fun and experimentation.

Cheers,
J
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Jun 2008
4,567 Posts
first thing comes to mind is the turning....you'll need to link the rudders..and elevators..obviously the model will need more room to turn.

second is power..one big.. and tow smaller motors? or just three small ones.

the turning... the dihedral of the 4 middle wing tips are all useless now, just the two at the ends will do something.

I'd get the two 17" ones and make a Bipe instead..
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Jun 2008
4,567 Posts
oh and setting the two outward NB's with positive incidence is asking for trouble..

if the both ends are at greater angle of attack the will be more likely to cause tip stall, not ideal.

Best to set all wings at same angle of attack and if you really want to go town...get some washout built in.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
I still like the duck-balls.... esp the one pulling the three smaller ones.....
As to the full airfoil cutting... If I could draw, I would send a pic... Basically I will cut the 17" disk from 2" high density foam (because I have a lot of it) then cut it in half on the table saw.... Then make a 17" airfoil template out of plywood and pin it to the cut edge of the disk....

Then take about 1 meter of NiChrome wire, attach one end to a pivot point about 6 inches away from the disk, opposite the cut edge where the the template is attached, energize the wire and follow the template... Not sure it will work, but worth a try,,,

Process very similar to the video posted above where he is making solid wings... not sure how it will work on a circle... but will try soon.... Still avoiding finishing tax work..

Gary