HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2008, 06:38 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickThumbs
I think the increase in speed is the ticket. You need good airflow over the control surfaces.
You are probably right. I did notice that when it was flying faster, the rolls were a bit quicker. I've got about 45 degrees of travel now so it should roll a little quicker now.

I took it out today and it rolls much quicker now. In fact, the roll rate seems directly proportional to the speed unlike most of the flying wings I am used to building with elevons only.

I am still finding out what what this little plane will do. It is absolutely amazing. I was flying with a little bit of a breeze today and while flying against the wind, I was able to land it almost like a harrier. It would just float gently down. I even contemplated landing it in the open trunk of my car but thankfully made the decision not to.

I came home and flew a bit in front of the house. My next door neighbor was pruning her shrubs with electric shears and I couldn't pass up the chance to "buzz" her while she was concentrating on her work and she couldn't hear the NB in the air. You should have seen her jump
Now that I think about it, that probably wasn't the safest move in the world, but it was funny as !
woolebugr is offline Find More Posts by woolebugr
Last edited by woolebugr; Jun 16, 2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:01 AM
German Engineering.......
Auxsburg
Joined Dec 2007
448 Posts
i have a question to you nutball experts....

do you think somebody could learn to fly with the nutball??

i have do decide whether to bouild a 2-axsis trainer, or sth like the nutball.

what do you think???

thx
me
HugePanic is offline Find More Posts by HugePanic
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:18 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,798 Posts
YES...... but get someone to trim it out and reduce the control movements for you first...and do your flying on low power after you take off
We trim ours to fly with a slight climb at about 1/2 power.
On full power they will pull up into a steep climb and keep climbing. with no input from you it will gain plenty of height. it might wander in its direction but its not going towards the ground. Then when your height is ok reduce power and get in your stearing practice. If your setup is good reducing the power further will bring it down slowly. get your position right then reduce power again. we find they come in best with just a little power on.. If you get it wrong, stick on the power and it will take itself up again..at the end just a little bit of up, before it contacts the ground will soften the landing
What I love is holding a bit of up and playing with the power. it will harrier in a slight breeze, then as you lower the power it will lower itself to the ground

My flying buddy is very heavy thumbed and loves gliders etc. because they fly themselves... He just loves the nutball, it can be so stable yet will manouver easily.
dialed down you wont even be able to roll it, and it rights itself to a large extent.
He now flys his every outing.... highly recomended..and so easy to build...

try a 24" made with depron..then you dont have to worry about keeping it too light ..use the little blue motor..5gm servos 12A esc and about a 1000ma 11.1v lipo

that works for us.....dave
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jun 20, 2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:37 AM
German Engineering.......
Auxsburg
Joined Dec 2007
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
try a 24" made with depron..then you dont have to worry about keeping it too light ..use the little blue motor..5gm servos 12A esc and about a 1000ma 11.1v lipo...
that is the answer for my next question...

no problem with adjustments! I will do all the stuff! the learning pilot is my girlfriend...

i just need something to distract her from my warbirds...
HugePanic is offline Find More Posts by HugePanic
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:20 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Hey Frank, and the rest of ya's, I broke down.... Yep, finally got me a WATT Meter... An E-Flite one... Now I know who, were, why and whatfor, on these wee monsters...
First thing to do is get connectors on it to fit all my models, then, out to the garage, use my hold down cord, and test, test, test.... I can see a whole new pile of props coming!!
Whatttttt did I ever do without it?????
Anyway, finally took yer advice Frank...... Happy now????

I am....
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:23 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Hello!

I managed to break(tear) my first NB(don't ask.. Whacked the neighbors gate mid takeoff )
So I decided to make a new one

Last time I just buried the entire mount in hotglue hehe..
I would like to know how you guys mount your motors thats without the store bought mounts.. DIY stuff ??

I'm using the BW.. thats got a firewall mount..
how does using a CD Rom for a firewall sound? properly cut and shaped that is..

looking forwards to your inputs

-Ashwin
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:14 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,197 Posts
Ashwin:

I don't think a CDR would stand up to my landings.

I use 3/16"/3mm plywood purchased from a hobby shop to make a fire wall. I hot melt it to the nose, then add more blocks of foam and then shape it with a sharp blade. I also use one of those clamp mounts on a stick or a piece of brass tubing with a slit in the end and a home made clamp.

Art: FINALLY! Soon you will be able to walk the walk and talk the talk.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I use old credit or gift cards hotglued for firewall mounts. They have been working great for the past year.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:53 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
I use a 2.25 inch hole saw and some 1/8 inch plywood to make my firewall mounts. It even makes the hole in the exact center for the bit of motor shaft that sticks out the back.

I got a hole saw kit from Home Depot.....it has 1/2 inch all the way up to 2.5 inch hole saw drums.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Jun 21, 2008, 06:00 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
I Don't have a LHS here.. so gotta make do with the stuff I get!!
I Shall make it either out of a CDR or from the laminate type ply they use around here!!
The firewall mount is basically a disk right? with a hole in the center for the shaft and holes in the right place for the Motor to screw onto??

Thanks
Ashwin
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king
Old Jun 21, 2008, 06:32 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
What Meter?

Art: FINALLY! Soon you will be able to walk the walk and talk the talk.[/QUOTE]

Yep, tested my BullsEye dart yesterday and the SkyKnight.... SkyKnight on a Blue Wonder 2408, I think (first outrunner I bought, back when).... Prop is an 8/4 and got a reading of 5.2 amps while running, then tested the CD rhom motor, again around a 2408 version (home made) and with a 7/6 got 4.5 amps draw... Under 6 amps for both so I guess the props are the right ones... Both on a 11.1V 640 mah lipo.. I have a 11.1V, 500mah pack and find it gets drawn down too quick on the above motors/props combos.. So, I think this pack should be on the 17gr motors, 7/4 and 6/4 props, huh??
I can see I have lots of learnin to do with this meter... like what wattage they should draw and I see it gives you the voltage of each pack before running, etc, etc.... Don't know what I ever did without it, before... Howcome you didn't mention getting one before???????
OK, now, have to test my combination I have in my (not a NB or Dart, just a simple SAM model), Dallaire.... Motor is the 2408, wingspan is 72", all up weight is 3 oz., and I'm looking at a 9/4 APC to start.... Of course, I know I have to get a 3C pack of around 1000ma as the draw on this apparently is quite high... It's a climb and glide plane, 90 second motor run, max.. So, what should I look for????
I know I still don't know a hang about these things!!
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Jun 21, 2008, 07:51 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,553 Posts
Another good motor mount is made from kitchen cutting board obtained at Home Depot. Cuts like pine with a bandsaw and is quite light. Shaped like a T with the motor mounted on the top of the T. Main thickness is as the same as your foam. Sets back into the foam about 2 in. Foam or 1/64 ply laminated to each side for bracing. It will bend with a lot of effort but I've never broke one. Give it a whirl.

Gord.

OH, hi Frank
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:52 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugePanic
that is the answer for my next question...

no problem with adjustments! I will do all the stuff! the learning pilot is my girlfriend...

i just need something to distract her from my warbirds...

you will have to build two or you will be fighting over who has a go....
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jun 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,197 Posts
Hi Gord. I see the good ol' PBF is still one of your favorites. Me, I've got four of em'. But right now out here, we're having a blast flying combat with the Simple Delta and the H-29, they're the new flavors of the week.

The locals go through foam like sh*t through a goose and every week they show up with something different. We have 10 bundles of Protection Board coming, so that should get us through the summer......if we ever get any.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jun 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,553 Posts
My old P Box finally died of old age, Probably 6 or 7 yrs old. Making a new one from Don't know if you built any of the coroplast jobies But I still have a 46 size Spad 3D. Out of glow all together now so I'm making a foamy one for the Little Screamer. If it works half as good as the big one I'd be happy. Just a tough old kick in the chins type plane.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2