189 Posts
Come on, any video yet?
dean_85 is offline Find More Posts by dean_85
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:13 AM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
Those of us who are in the frozen north (Michigan) have to fly vicariously through your videos done by those of you who live in locations conducive to flying presently. It is still in the 20's here (that's F, not C) and we got more snow last night. Help us! Post your vids!
Thanks...arniep
arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:19 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
Today I am going to the LHS to pick up a motor, esc and two battery packs for my 20" NB. Getting a E-Flight Park 300 Outrunner, E-Flight 10 amo ESC, and I have the choice of either a 730 mah Thunder Power or a 800 mah E-Flight Lipo 2 cell packs. Question, what prop would you guys recommend, the Park 300 prop saver is said to favor the APC props. And which battery pack would yall favor!

Thanks
Bobby

Go with the lighter battery. I have the TP730s and they seem to be of high quality, not sure on the E-F. The motor instruction will tell you which prop size and sometimes recommends a certain brand as well. The APC hold up well to abuse, the GWS don't. Also, the same size prop, but made by different manufactures, will vary in amp draw and thrust.

Fine tuning the prop sizes requires a wattmeter and then flight testing. One thing about electric is, be prepared to be the proud owned of a very large collection of props.

I bought a load of those cheap SF props from HobbyCity, even though many commented on a balance problem. I have a TF magnetic balancer and have checked about 10 differene ones so far and found most are dead on. Most sizes are under a buck each and are very well made from a more durable material than the GWS and are more flexable than the APC.

Have fun: Frank
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:15 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
I shall try a 22" mod and see what we get,I too have larger motors/Batts.Regards EPP,FFF I'll go with the FFF I build A Lot and I crash a lot,
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Mar 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
fun = win
United States, OR, Sisters
Joined Oct 2004
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnormal
...I build A Lot and I crash a lot,
Bob
You too? Lol! I just "freed up" some gear out of a Depron Duplex Delta this morning! I've decided to jump on the LARF bandwagon. Mine is mostly round, like the Nutball, 21" in diameter. I will be using a 1700kv "Blue Wonder" Hextronik motor, a GWS 8043 prop, and a 3s700 LiPo, controlled by a pair of HS-55 servos. I'd like to get a wattmeter and start a string of tests on various motor/prop combos, but my planes just don't survive that long to make it worth it!
Bearweasel is offline Find More Posts by Bearweasel
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:01 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
David,

Both orders I have received from rcfoam came in 4-5 days. On the first order, I orderd at night and they shipped it in the morning. The morning counted as the first day, and I got it in the mail on day 4 or 5 (can't remember). The transit time was the same on my second order, from March 17 to March 21 (5 days), but it took them one extra day to get it in the mail. In general, pretty quick!

I'm using 9mm EPP on my NutBall, along with a 1300 kv blue wonder (and esc combo from lazertoyz), 2 cell 910/1000, 3 cell 900, hxt500 servos, ar6000 rx. Total equipment weight is 4.5 oz. It's really less than that, I'm just being conservative. What diameted Nutbal should I make? I could calculate wing loading but I know that doesn't mean EVERYthing.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Mar 22, 2008, 05:37 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Wind may die down before dark, mine's ready to go.

20" Blucor foam
7.4oz AUW, with:

souped up BW (13 turns, 9050 prop) 7.2A and 12.3oz thrust on my stand
1.4oz 2s battery
9gr servos

here's hoping the wind dies!

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Last edited by praymond; Mar 22, 2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 05:40 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jan 2007
307 Posts
G'luck Paul

Still pretty breezey here

David
DavidWent is offline Find More Posts by DavidWent
Old Mar 22, 2008, 05:49 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Ya you're right, it's howl'n !

10 min later:--------------

Ok couldn't wait, next door is a small parking lot, set it into the breeze and let it rip! jumps of the ground in 2 ft, did an oval 6ft off the ground and landed, breeze knocked it over on landing, set it into the breeze and waited till a lull. jumped her up and lapped the small area again looped it at about 20' seemed to loop tighter than the old standard dart.

Got about 12.5oz thrust at wot, so it didn't need a lot of throttle.

Wind picked up again so i laped around a few more time and called it quits!

Frank--- looks like you've done it again!!!!!!!!

Not much of a test, but I think the old liter dart wouldn't have flown so well in the breeze.

Try again in the morn early (after I hunt for eggs--LOL)

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Last edited by praymond; Mar 22, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:41 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
Confetti!

I ended up with a 21" plane,very cool,all my friends,wife and all ask me "why don't you paint your planes?" SHUT UP! here's a painted plane,Confetti,I don't know if this scheme has been done but I like it,Tool rocks,I'll be back
Now I'm back This plane is in the same vein as the thread represents,check it out,
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:36 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,257 Posts
Bob: Looks like a Pablo Piacco Plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:51 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,257 Posts
What diameted Nutbal should I make? I could calculate wing loading but I know that doesn't mean EVERYthing.

- Jeff[/QUOTE]

Big balls are always better and when using foam, extra wing area and lower wing loadings are almost free. Go with a 22 incher. That would give you 2.64 square feet and at a 9 ounces flying weight, that's a loading of 3.4 ounces per square feet. That's indoor territory. And, if it comes out lighter all the better or if heavier, still acceptable.

I alway shoot for about 6 to 7 watts of power for each ounce (just a guide, nothing scientific here) , for ballastic performance at WOT. So, if your motor is pumping out only 6o watts, that's should be more than enought for big fun.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
yep that's what i thought goldguy. i always scale simple designs like this way up to get a super low wing loading. probelm is i keep going up, in. by in., cause like you said it's almost free! juste wasn't sure if it would change the flight characteristicse at all. probably won't roll as good...then again maybe it will. who know until i try it out

unfortunately there are NO indoor clubs were i live in the Bay Area in California. Do you think this is flyable in a two car garage? (without just harriering around, that is)

- Jeff
Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:21 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
I cut out the pieces and am putting it together right now. I'm using 1.9 9 mm EPP, but I am wondering if 6 mm would cut it? Also, 1.3 or 1.9? Is there something that's sort of standard for planes this size? Or to each his own?

Is there any reason I could not use a piece of 6 mm depron for the bottom lateral bracing since it's stiffer than epp?

This is my first EPP build...What are some particular places that need bracing?
Last edited by jkarnacki; Mar 23, 2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:07 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Pictures of my 12 inch NB with the mod to the motor mount..
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane