SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2008, 08:33 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
For a 20 incher, I would recommend 9mm, 6mm is far too floppy and you'll need loads of CF for support. The extra support needed will be heavier that the difference in the weight of the two sizes.
I will be building mine out of FFF and was wondering if I will have an issue with it being too floppy. I just received notice that my shipment from HC is on the way so I'm ready to start building. I have plenty of cf rod available to brace it where needed. I was wondering if I might need to add one spar running down the middle from front to rear of will the wingtip dihedral be enough to keep it from flexing?
woolebugr is offline Find More Posts by woolebugr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2008, 08:58 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
"Balance at 25% of the root cord to start."

How sensitive is the center of gravity? I followed post #1. Now if the wind will stop.

My 21.5" diameter fanfold NB just came in at 8.5 oz AUW with landing gear and bat.

Motor BW 1700 kv with
Lipo 2s 1200 wt 2 oz (it's all I have in 2S) or
Lipo 3s 750 also close to 2 oz
12A ESC
2x HXT 500 servos
Berg 4L receiver.

Wing loading about 3.4 oz/ft2
Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 07, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 11:27 AM
Foam Junkie
USA, WV, Weston
Joined Nov 2006
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
"Balance at 25% of the root cord to start."

How sensitive is the center of gravity? I followed post #1. Now if the wind will stop.

My 21.5" diameter fanfold NB just came in at 8.5 oz AUW with landing gear and bat.

Motor BW 1700 kv with
Lipo 2s 1200 wt 2 oz (it's all I have in 2S) or
Lipo 3s 750 also close to 2 oz
12A ESC
2x HXT 500 servos
Berg 4L receiver.

Wing loading about 3.4 oz/ft2
Lee

Lee, I would start out at 25% (about 5 1/3"" from the leading edge) and slowly work my way back. If the battery is mounted with velcro it will be only a few seconds to land, move it back a bit, and take to the sky again. I have a 22"er that came in at 7.35 Oz. AUW. She is a real floater. Depending on my battery, I usually have it between 25% and 28%. You can tell a BIG difference moving the CG a half inch or so. Remember that a nose heavy plane flies poorly but a tail heavy plane flies ONCE! ~ ThickThumbs
ThickThumbs is offline Find More Posts by ThickThumbs
Last edited by ThickThumbs; Jun 07, 2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old Jun 07, 2008, 12:51 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Hey there Lee, how about posting some pix of your FFF NB for Woolbugr to have a look at. If no can do, where did you add the bracing on yours?
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jun 07, 2008, 05:53 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolebugr
I will be building mine out of FFF and was wondering if I will have an issue with it being too floppy. I just received notice that my shipment from HC is on the way so I'm ready to start building. I have plenty of cf rod available to brace it where needed. I was wondering if I might need to add one spar running down the middle from front to rear of will the wingtip dihedral be enough to keep it from flexing?
I built mine from floor insulation that you can roll up, still flies well. brace it with some cf and cross brace the centre section (see first posts) if you need, you will be fine

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Jun 07, 2008, 09:56 PM
Breaker of Stuff
Australia, TAS, Somerset
Joined Feb 2004
610 Posts
Here's the video of my nutball.
The quality isn't the best, the nutball get's a bit lost against the sky in places.
I've been trying to upload a higher quality version to vimeo for the past 2 days, but it keeps failing for some reason.
I'll post the better quality version if I can get it to work.
Enjoy!
Cheers,
Tas.
The NutBall! - Scratchbuilt EPP Foam R/C Plane. (6 min 47 sec)
Tasmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Tasmaniac
Old Jun 07, 2008, 11:03 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
Great video Tas.

We have done quite different things with the same plane. Yours hovers better than mine but I set up for more speed. I was flying in 10-17 mph wind.
I set mine up more as a sport flyer with a 1300kv and a 3 cell with a 7x6 APC prop. Enjoy!!!

Other than one quick flight to set trim this is the first flight with my new NB.

Nutball Maiden Flight 6-7-08 (4 min 12 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jun 11, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 11:22 PM
Breaker of Stuff
Australia, TAS, Somerset
Joined Feb 2004
610 Posts
Thanks Lee.
Cool video, nice rolls! I need to practice them more, as well as inverted.
Inverted is a bit tricky on my NB. It seems the less input the better.
I like your landing gear/fuse mod. The red looks great on the bottom too.
Cheers,
Tas.
Tasmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Tasmaniac
Old Jun 07, 2008, 11:54 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Lee, do you have onle rudder on there or are you running elevons too?

Mine will not roll with just the rudder. It'll turn on a dime but not roll...
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Jun 08, 2008, 12:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
I am only using a rudder and elevator. I built the plane as a test platform and I am pleased with it's performance. I was flying fairly fast with a 3S battery and high pitch prop. The higher speeds translate into higher roll performance.

I tend to push the limits of most of the planes I fly. I was trying to see if it would break in the air with high Gs. I let 5 other flyers in our club fly the plane and all were pleased and surprised.

I only am using 2 of the cheaper HXT 500 servos.

There was a fair amount of wind. the plane flies so fast in the video you can hardly tell.

The tall fuselage was designed that way to protect the prop for the beginners. I got the idea from the Q Butterfly and have used the idea on other designs. The small wheels didn't take off of grass.

My ESC kicked out at the end due to low battery in the wind. There was no damage to the plane.

Great design Gold Guy.
Last edited by Lee; Jun 08, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 01:32 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Mine will not roll with just the rudder. It'll turn on a dime but not roll...[/QUOTE]

Should roll almost around it's axis, something's not right, keep fine tuning.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jun 08, 2008, 08:28 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Roll? Ha, mine is like a corkscrew, even now with the mods I made to the motor mounting...
Rolls, loops, and you name it, it does it!!! Actually, it's almost too fast and wild for this ole fart... But, being a NB myself, it really suits me...
Like Frank said, keep tuning, it'll surprise you one of these flights!
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Jun 08, 2008, 09:14 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Awsome video Lee! Could you take a photo of how you did the bracing on your NB for me? In the video I couldn't see any spars or bracing of any kind. The FFF I will be using for a 20"er looks way too flimsy to go without any bracing at all. Great flying by the way. I can't wait to get mine in the air.
woolebugr is offline Find More Posts by woolebugr
Old Jun 08, 2008, 09:57 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Wool, if Lee doesn't get some posted before I do later after church, I will post my bracing on my dollar tree foam. Should be close. I have a spar on the LE, one 1/4 back under neath, one down the fuse, and one at the TE before the elevator.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jun 08, 2008, 02:56 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Wool, here is my bracing, This really helped with my over powered motor. It is all split bamboo as CF just seems to expensive. I soaked the LE bamboo and taped to a bucket of similar diameter as the stress was to much otherwise.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf