Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
nice pics Taz.... and a good color scheme dave
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2008, 05:17 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I believe I fixed my NB's split bamboo LE edge issues. Soaked new ones in water for a while and then taped them on a slightly smaller diameter bucket. Much less tension now on the tape or hot glue and same protection and even better support.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jun 04, 2008, 05:37 PM
Foam Junkie
USA, WV, Weston
Joined Nov 2006
98 Posts
More Nutballs

Here are my Nutballs.
The one out of FFF is:
22" WS - Hextronic D2730-1300 Kv - SF1047 prop - Polquest 2s1p 400 mah - Htx 500 5 gr servo X2 - Plush 10 amp esc - Berg microstamp4L.
AUW is 209 gr or 7.35 oz and comes in at 2.784 Oz/ ft^2. She is a floater.

The white one is her little sister. 17" epp, still waiting on the slow boat from China to finish. ThickThumbs
ThickThumbs is offline Find More Posts by ThickThumbs
Old Jun 04, 2008, 06:10 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,456 Posts
Hi

Maidened my 20" NB tonight, I have the 5degrees downthrust and 3 to the right - all it wanted to do was climb and turn over to fly inverted. I found it virtually impossible to control, anyone any ideas ???

BW 1500 2cell 1000 lipo 9x35 prop auw 8oz

Help!

Thanks Frank
frank48 is online now Find More Posts by frank48
Old Jun 04, 2008, 06:32 PM
Foam Junkie
USA, WV, Weston
Joined Nov 2006
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48
Hi

Maidened my 20" NB tonight, I have the 5degrees downthrust and 3 to the right - all it wanted to do was climb and turn over to fly inverted. I found it virtually impossible to control, anyone any ideas ???

Help!

Thanks Frank
Frank,
Is your CG about 5" from the leading edge? Is your thrust line about even with the wing? See post 791. Have you tried it at about 1/3 throttle or less to see if it wants to climb like that? ~ ThickThumbs
ThickThumbs is offline Find More Posts by ThickThumbs
Old Jun 04, 2008, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Frank48, I am sure some of the smart people here can help you out. Do you have a couple of photos to post. Where is the battery and motor mounted. Does it roll left or right. Does it dive hands off no throttle or nose up? What is your CG. Is your elevator Zero. Are you sure your servos aren't reversed? These would all be things I would be looking at if mine was doing something strange as these fly themselves when set up rigt. What wind were you in?
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jun 04, 2008, 09:17 PM
Breaker of Stuff
Australia, TAS, Somerset
Joined Feb 2004
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickThumbs
Hey, Taz,
Give us some specs. What motor, prop, battery, AUW, Wing Span, and how did you mount the landing gear? It looks great. ~ ThickThumbs
ThickThumbs,
Here are the landing gear pics.
Hope it helps. Cool design on your 17" NB.
Thanks for the comments on the pics guys.
Still working on the video computers!
Cheers,
Tas.
Tasmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Tasmaniac
Old Jun 05, 2008, 06:14 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
Quote:
Hi

Help!

Thanks Frank
The maiden flights on mine resulted in strong climbs but were easily sorted

first double check everything, thrust lines especially, and for warps. then set your elevator down from neutral by at least 3mm at the trailing edge..
both of my versions have the engine below the centreline and needed this down elevator to fly level at 1/2 power...
take off at full power then cut back to 1/2--3/4 to get it trimmed up

Also my versions also didnt need any side thrust, and too much side resulted in poor turns in one direction.

Ive still got to try more down thrust on my setup, but they fly so well i havnt bothered
...hope this helps
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jun 05, 2008, 07:53 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Gratuities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Art: Arn't you forgetting gratuities for the NutBall factory foreman?

Taz: Seems Nutballing has become a family affair. Fun machine eh? The more pictures and video that get up here, the more others will give one a go and join in on the fun.

At our regular twice weekly flying sessions, more NBs are showing up than anything else lately and more in the works. What most seem to enjoy is it's 'flyability' and what they can do with something so simple........cruise around or go crazy.

Just tuning up my float fly foamies for summer and have an extra set of floats, so.............

Ya, well I figured if I can get through it, then you'd get a percentage of the winnings, for designing a "Through the Barn flyer".....
Persentage, I said, aint figgered this out yet, but somethin.....
artlane is online now Find More Posts by artlane
Old Jun 05, 2008, 07:57 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Through the Barn

And, here's the "Barn" poster....
And, lookin at the picture, it's a horizontal hole, 2' X 4', so, my 17" NB should have no problem in going through, it's just the pilot, can he do it??????
Old Jun 05, 2008, 08:29 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
rollin and flippin

Re rollin and climbin and flippin, exactly what my 17"er did at first, then, after prodding from our NB guru, I changed the motor position, UP, in line with the wing..... Try it, mine flew much better.....

Quote:
Hi

Help!

Thanks Frank
Old Jun 05, 2008, 02:15 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Shucks! need an answer immediately!!!! Trying to get my A class Dallaire ready for Saturdays competition and am planning on using an old ASTRO 05, brushed, for motor, on a 11" prop....
Do I need an ESC or can I hook this directly to the motor on my receiver?????
Gad, two things, I know it's the wrong forum to ask this, and I've left it late to get this thing ready, but, SOMEBODY, Frank, Gene, or anybody else, can you give me an answer???????????????????????????????????
Boy, have I forgotten what I used in the old days!!!
Old Jun 05, 2008, 02:43 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
You will need a Esc for a brushed Motor. A 60A esc seems to be the recommended size

Rx only put out a 5volt digital signal used for driving servos or Esc,s
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jun 05, 2008, 02:52 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickThumbs
Frank,
Is your CG about 5" from the leading edge? Is your thrust line about even with the wing? See post 791. Have you tried it at about 1/3 throttle or less to see if it wants to climb like that? ~ ThickThumbs
Duh ... I set my CG @30%, seem to remember reading it somewhere in this thread, I never made a round flyer before

Reset it @ 25%, will try it later tonight - no wonder it was a handfull

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, much apreciated

Cheers

Frank
frank48 is online now Find More Posts by frank48
Old Jun 05, 2008, 04:23 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,293 Posts
EPP and glue foam tests

I have some 9mm EPP foam that I want to use to make a NutBall. From reading the forums there seems to be different ideas about the proper glue, so I did a test on some small pieces of EPP with some glues that I have been using for Protection board and thought that I would share my experience with others here on the forum.

I cut some small rectangles at an angle (shooting for the 24 degree for the Nutball) and glued them together with four different glues and let them set overnight. I used the following glues:

1. Dollar store super glue
2. 5 min. epoxy
3. Gorilla Glue
5. Wal-Mart Low Temp. hot glue

The first picture shows the squares glued together. Now for the torture tests! The second picture shows the Gorilla Glued squares bent backward over a Sharpie pen. The third picture shows the Gorilla Glued squares bent backward over an eraser (about twice the thickness of the Sharpie). The fourth picture shows the Gorilla Glued squares bent flat (looks good). The fifth picture shows the hot glue bend flat (looks good).

All of glues held on the Sharpie and the eraser bend. When I bent the squares flat the Gorilla glue and the hot glue held and the epoxy and the super glue failed. The sixth photo shows the break in the epoxy glued squares. I really do not think it was the total fault of the epoxy but also the foam failed on the epoxy/EPP test. The super glue broke but it was hard to tell where the failure was as the super glue did not show up on the EPP. Another thing to note is that when I used the hot glue I did spread it a little on one side, so there is probably some help in the glue also being able to hold a little on the surface of the EPP, kind of like a hot glue hinge.

Another thing noted. I did weigh all of the glued squares on my balance beam scale and they all seemed to weigh about the same except the epoxy, it was noticeably heavier.

I think I will go with the combination of hot glue and Gorilla glue depending on how much time I need before it sets up. I would like to use only hot glue, but I don't think I am fast enough to glue the body or wing tips on before it cools. I would have liked to try some of the Welder brand glue, but did not have any on hand.

I hope this is some information that will help others, or maybe I just need to get a life!

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'