HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
94 Posts
Nose Heavy!

It just hit me that 25% of CG on a 20 inch nutball is 5 inches, so mine set at 4 inches makes me nose heavy...

Flies GREAT. Maybe that's why it was so nice in the wind.
dmedlock4rc is offline Find More Posts by dmedlock4rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
Something that looks and flies more like a real airplane and has ailerons might be better to show them how real airplanes work.
This is just for an inside on site demo, we (the volunteers) always try to take them out to the club field and let them fly Sig LT-40's, we even help them build them during the year for educational purposes. We can't really fly outside at the Aviation Vo Tech since its on an airport!
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:49 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedlock4rc View Post
It just hit me that 25% of CG on a 20 inch nutball is 5 inches, so mine set at 4 inches makes me nose heavy...

Flies GREAT. Maybe that's why it was so nice in the wind.
wow, that's way nose heavy, there is a whole new plane lurking in there. try it !
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,726 Posts
In NYS anyhow, some clubs are at small airfields/airports (I find that odd/surprising, but so far it has worked out OK). I was at one field when a full sized plane was circling to land, it's a bit scary. To top it off, you need to drive over the runway to get to the R/C field. A car was crossing it when the plane was pretty low readying to land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
This is just for an inside on site demo, we (the volunteers) always try to take them out to the club field and let them fly Sig LT-40's, we even help them build them during the year for educational purposes. We can't really fly outside at the Aviation Vo Tech since its on an airport!
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:40 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,726 Posts
I have some foam board (the stuff with paper on both sides). Is that what you guys are using (when not using EPP)? Do you leave the paper on it?
I bought a similar $15 plane from lazer toyz at the ENAT fair 2 years ago, but the EPP was so fragile that it fell apart even on good landings. So I could use those components on a small nutball...the motor barely has 10oz of thust, it's a 20gm motor (2204?), not 26gm (2208?).
Modifying the nutball is tempting - make it more peanut shaped...well, airplane shaped.

In the video, the hot glue seems to be the way to go (to quickly fill in the gaps for the dehedral for example). I don't even own a hot glue gun - been using epoxy and Sumo/Gorilla glue all these years.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
Beginner RC Pilot
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined May 2012
92 Posts
Some take the paper off to loose the weight. The smaller indoor versions might work better without the paper. If you are headed outside with your nutball, my recommendation is to leave the paper on as it ads a lot of rigidity to the foamboard. To increase the longevity of your plane, run a bead of hot glue along the circumference of the circle. This will secure the paper in place for a more rugged flyer.

Most stores sell hot glue guns for just a few bucks and you can find them almost anywhere. The sticks are inexpensive as well. I like to get mine at Hobby Lobby because of the selection. If you are planning on working with foam a lot, I strongly suggest that you either buy the low heat version or one that has variable temperature settings as hot glue can melt foam if it's too hot.

I use a lot of gorilla glue as well, but the advantage of hot glue is the instant results and the easy cleanup. It won't hold quite as well and it does not expand. Worst of all it's heavy by comparison.
achurin is offline Find More Posts by achurin
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Leaving the paper on the Dollar Tree foamboard, its almost like plywood with the layers, its pretty strong, I've built a few pizza box flyers out of it with no reinforcement at all. Cover it with packing tape adds almost no weight, but adds to the durability, and the added color can be nice also.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,180 Posts
+1 on the paper. at least on the dollar tree stuff, some have reported other makes w/ much thicker/ heavier paper that might want to be removed, but for me it stays on the d/t board.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, NC, Bear Grass
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
I chose to remove the paper after making all my cuts on my second nutball. I would guess that the paper would come loose if I landed in wet grass too often. I then gave a good coating of packing tape over the whole top of the wing to stiffen things up a bit. I only used a low temp gun. You could easily save some weight by using gorilla glue but it's the wait to cure that I don't like. The glue gun is almost instant and repairs are super easy and fast with a glue gun.
melloyello is offline Find More Posts by melloyello
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:52 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,149 Posts
Mounting an AR6400?

How do you mount an AR6400 to foam? I'm using this receiver for my 11 inch Nutball but with all the lumps and bumps on the bottom getting it mounted flat appears to be an issue. Any suggestion appreciated.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:20 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
452 Posts
ar6400

[QUOTE=swimmer;22675165]How do you mount an AR6400 to foam? I'm using this receiver for my 11 inch Nutball but with all the lumps and bumps on the bottom getting it mounted flat appears to be an issue. Any suggestion appreciated.

Allan[/QUOTE

I built a 12" NB using ar6400. I simply sliced a piece of balsa about 1/4"x 1/4" thick and using UHU I glued a strip down each side of the brick underneath.
Don't worry about the electrics on the brick, the UHU insulates them OK (at least it has for me).

After the 2 strips are dry, simply glue the brick to the NB. Using UHU or similar allows removal a lot easier than CA

Good luck

geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,289 Posts
I just used a few blobs of hot melt glue. It's easy to remove later with alcohol.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
looking for 30" dimensions

EDITED:
Originally I posted looking for 30" NutBall plans.
I now have what I need :-)

I just scaled up the 17" version...

Thanks.
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
Last edited by danford1; Sep 08, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:11 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,626 Posts
Anyone know where i can find the instruction manual for the budgetrc 20" kit? I have the original kit from the company.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, IL, Hanover Park
Joined May 2005
140 Posts
Scott,

Try out this link :

http://web.archive.org/web/201104221.../instructions/

If I got it correct, it should take you to a WebCrawler archive of budget-rc's site, and specifically their instructions page. You should then be able to download the instructions pdf for any of their planes. The Nutball's down towards the bottom of the list of instructions.
gstreaks is online now Find More Posts by gstreaks