Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 01, 2008, 06:44 AM
That's a lot of depron
Surrey, UK
Joined Jun 2007
50 Posts
WOW!!!

The nutball is fantastic, thank you goldguy.

I built the 17inch version yesterday and it was really underpowered with the first motor i used (towerpro 2410-8T), it was also very unresponsive to control inputs.

I switched to a 2408-21T i had on another plane and it is fantastic. It feels totally overpowered but is a complete blast. will hang on the prop with just a tiny amount of throttle and very fast when wanted. What a superb design and it looks like it will take a real beating. I guess it was unrepsonsive just because it wasn't shifting enough air.

I'm not a very accomplished pilot and in just a couple of packs i have started to get a taste for how capable it is. So slow when you want and then a complete speed machine too. Harriering is great fun and I've never hovered so easily.

Before swapping to the new motor i enlarged the rudder surface and have now dialed in some expo as i don't think it needed it. May leave it large though for now.

Great in the confined space of a small recreation ground next to my house.

An instant favourite, thanks again!!
skidder!uk is offline Find More Posts by skidder!uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2008, 11:28 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmaniac
Hey guys,
I got my 20" NutBall finished and maidened today.
Ended up flying it for most of the day.
What an awesome little plane!
Flew beautifully only had to give it a few clicks of up trim and it was perfect.
I like how it handles in a hover, really cool.
Will try and get some video.
Specs :
10mm epp
1300kv blue wonder
10 amp esc
1047 prop
900mah 2s lipo
corona rx
5g servos
AUW 8.2oz
Thanks goldguy for the great design! Mine flies as advertised.
Cheers,
Tas.

I noticed that you are using elevons rather than rudder elevator in post 784. Technically it probably will be more stable with the elevons with less erratic yaw and roll. Have you shot any video to share?
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 01, 2008, 11:38 AM
That's a lot of depron
Surrey, UK
Joined Jun 2007
50 Posts
Have just realised i printed letter plans A4 so mine's come out at 16 inches. I think it's pretty heavy at 7oz AUW but my motor is heavy and i am pretty sloppy with the glue gun!
skidder!uk is offline Find More Posts by skidder!uk
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:27 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidder!uk
Have just realised i printed letter plans A4 so mine's come out at 16 inches. I think it's pretty heavy at 7oz AUW but my motor is heavy and i am pretty sloppy with the glue gun!
Build a 20" plus version if you are using a heavy motor...you will love the results!

I know you most likely already know this but...

To get a 20" version just get an 11" sting and tie it to a pin. Stick the pin in the foam (about in the middle of the sheet). Tie the other end of the string to a pen leaving about 10" between the pin and the pen. Now just draw the circle...you have a 20" NB....

I did this to get my 23.5" version.....very floaty or very fast!
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:34 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Lee... I think you will find that Tas's plane is RET.

For Epp I recommend a template as it's a "soft" foam .... cardboard works for me..
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:37 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
As Epp is a "soft" foam I recommend a template.... cardboard works for me..
For hotwire cutting this is a great idea. if you are trying to use cardboard as a guid for a knife I wouldn't bother....just draw the line and follow it with the knife. Since this is a circle based plane I just use the string pin/pen method.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 01:01 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I just use the template fo marking out.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jun 01, 2008, 01:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
RET is what the Nutball is about!!!! It is about silly fun without elevons. I did elevons and rudder on a similiar plane, it sat without gear for a while and then was chopped up as the platform for my experiment on dihedralerons. Goofy RET is simple and simply more fun.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jun 01, 2008, 02:41 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,166 Posts
Great to see some new nutballs on board...........and thanks for the thanks. It's fun for me to see so many enjoying the best damn R/E flying machine ever.......at least that's my impression of the NutBall. In foury years of flying RC and about 275 models later, I haven't found anything that flys better as a rudder turner.

Have fun: Frank
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jun 01, 2008, 02:46 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Great to see some new nutballs on board...........and thanks for the thanks. It's fun for me to see so many enjoying the best damn R/E flying machine ever.......at least that's my impression of the NutBall. In foury years of flying RC and about 275 models later, I haven't found anything that flys better as a rudder turner.

Have fun: Frank
Thanks again Frank! I'm building one for the kid next door. Now that I fly in front of my house a lot of folks are more interested in RC around here.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 03:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,894 Posts
I've built many a RET. Pictured are a couple of recent ones. That doesn't mean I'm not curious about elevons and performance.

I actually have been considering building a NB RET with the rudder underneath the wing.

Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 01, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 04:54 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,904 Posts
Goldguy

As per your instructions hard down full left. My grandson Olly gets his video revenge.

Note the high precision landing, be it 15 feet off the ground

DISC PLANE RC (NUTBALL) 01.05.08 BRADWELL UK (1 min 17 sec)

Cheers Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Last edited by Upup; Jun 01, 2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 05:17 PM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna show my ignorance here (like I don't show it everywhere else ) and ask a simple question. What does RET stand for. I'm thinking the "r" stands for rudder and the "e" stands for elevator, but what about the "t"? Is it "tail" or "turn" or am I barking up the wrong tree? Murray
woolebugr is offline Find More Posts by woolebugr
Old Jun 01, 2008, 05:34 PM
Foam Junkie
USA, WV, Weston
Joined Nov 2006
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolebugr
Ok, I'm gonna show my ignorance here (like I don't show it everywhere else ) and ask a simple question. What does RET stand for. I'm thinking the "r" stands for rudder and the "e" stands for elevator, but what about the "t"? Is it "tail" or "turn" or am I barking up the wrong tree? Murray
Throttle, i.e., ESC or the way I fly it sometimes stands for TREE!
ThickThumbs is offline Find More Posts by ThickThumbs
Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:57 PM
Texas, Rio Grande Valley, Port Isabel
Joined Oct 2005
48 Posts
NB RET with rudder under

Lee - Tried that:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3633

JJ
jjjlaudenslager is offline Find More Posts by jjjlaudenslager