SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2008, 11:05 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
Jake: Go with 24 degrees or 1 7/8" is about right.

Upup: I bought rolls of party streamer from a $$$ store and sliced it in half by sawing through it with a long sharp blade, since as is, it's too wide. This way you get twice as much, just your 'cup of tea'. I have yet to see a NutBall, no matter what it's made of, or how well build or or how heavy it was, that didn't fly well. Yes, the lighter ones do fly better, but as long as it works and your having some silly fun with it, that's what it's all about. NutBall are all about flying, not building. Cheers
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2008, 12:23 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
Sweet. Im going with HS-55's and Rimfire 370 motor swinging a 10x3.8APC SF prop on 2 and 3 cell 800mAh E-Flight batteries, shoudl come out at about 8oz. with the 3cell battery as thats what my 32" Diablo indoor 3D weighed in at made from 3mm foam.

If I can find my sisters camera i'll get some ix and vids of my first real NB as my PZ cessna gear 8" NB didnt have enough power, nor did my IPS powered 15" NB.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old May 30, 2008, 01:15 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
My 17 incher weighs in at 4.4 ounces RTF, has a loading of 2.9 oz. per.sq. ft. and is powered by one of those 16g motors on 2S 460s turning a 7 X 4 HobbyCity SF prop. Flys like a dream, floaty or balistic vertical and likes inverted, and all that other silly fun stuff.

My 20 incher weighs in at 6.9 ounces RTF, has a wing loading of 3.2 oz. per sq. ft. and is powered by a 1300kv Blu Wondr on 2S 730's turning a 9 X 3.8 HobbyCity SF prop. Flys like a dream, floaty or balastic vertical and doen't like inverted very well, but all that other silly fun stuff.

Hi all....

taz...I like the bright color scheme

upup...jeff enjoy your plane, but how long till youve built two? they are so addictive

just for info...
my 24" goes well at 3.2oz sqft. when you load it over the 4oz sqft it still flies ok but wont float as nicely
my 32" flies at 3.6oz sqft ..at 20oz AUW it does it all ok and handles more wind easier
neither will twinkle roll, they only roll at about 1 per 1.5sec

keep them as light as possible for the most pleasure.....

....dave
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old May 30, 2008, 07:17 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
Got to fly a 9 oz. 22 incher last night that was way overpowered and it was a hoot, best one yet. The owner had the CG perfect and it would roll around it's axis perfectly, both ways. I guess I need to do some more fine tuning on mine.....and add more horses.

I mentioned that NutBalls were about flying and not building.......well, I've got three more to build for FBs........they offered $$$, so what ya gonna do?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2008, 06:36 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Jake: Go with 24 degrees or 1 7/8" is about right.

Upup: I bought rolls of party streamer from a $$$ store and sliced it in half by sawing through it with a long sharp blade, since as is, it's too wide. This way you get twice as much, just your 'cup of tea'. I have yet to see a NutBall, no matter what it's made of, or how well build or or how heavy it was, that didn't fly well. Yes, the lighter ones do fly better, but as long as it works and your having some silly fun with it, that's what it's all about. NutBall are all about flying, not building. Cheers
Hummmmm I suppose that IS easier than sticking together disused party popper streamers Any combat video?

Attached is a two minute video our FAH (fat and heavy) NB with its little 1500kv motor clawing at the air I did try to grab it but just out of reach and we know that "white men can't jump" especialy over weight ones

YELLOW DISC RC PLANE (NUTBALL) 30.MAY 08 VALENTINES PARK ILFORD ESSEX UK (2 min 12 sec)

CHEERS Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old May 31, 2008, 07:01 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Motor mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
Art, here is what I was talking about on the motor. Look at my pictures of the squirt. at post #219. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...83#post9381083 and read Gene's lesson about motor mounts below it. I raised the centerline of the motor up to the wingline and kept the down thrust. Kept wanting to fly up prior to this. My darts fly fine with the motor mounted lower. Maybe its the 2* incidence difference on the tail of them. All I know is put the motor at the wing line and the NB will fly better, and keep the 5* down thrust. My uniformed $.02.
Ya knows, the more I read this, and look at that other post, I'm beginnin to understand why my NB does nothing but hang on the prop!!!!
Silly me, it only understandable that when the motor is lower than the wing, it can't do anything else except push the silly thing UP. Especially when I have 5* down thrust to. should have figured this out right at the onset of building my NB... Too used to Darts, where the motor is mounted low on the fuse....
So, hot gun out, melt the glue around the MM, clean it off, re cut the nose off a little for a clean spot again, and, Mount the motor HIGHER, almost in line with the wing .......
Now, as for weight, the only way I can get this one lighter is to soak the thing in hot water and peel..... Of course, that's with all the equipment off... I'm not that much of a Newfie!!!! (Oh oh, did I step on some peoples toes?) Never mind, Newfies are great people, just the rest of the world are nuts.. Look at all the NB flyers! And, I'm one of em.
Thanks guys for the info on MM mounting, I hope it works..... (It's gotta, it only stands to reason!)
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old May 31, 2008, 10:36 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
Jeff:

Next time, take your LAH NB up to altitude, under full power point the nose straight up, then instantly hit FULL down and left rudder, wait a second and watch it spin like a top. Throttle back and let it come down as low as your dare, as recovery is a
breeze. Easy and fun to do, make you look like a pro.

Once you get that figured out, you can now do low level snap rolls just a few feet off the deck and really wow the onlookers. Do the same as when at altitude, but only allow one rotation.

It's amazing what you can do with just rudder and elevator...........on a NutBall that is.

Have fun and keep the videos coming: Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2008, 11:27 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Frank, I have gotten my 20" NB going more dialed with its over powered motor I got from Dave North http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844637.

Flew a real hoot this morning early. Relay for life was still going on this morning at the football field so I flew at the highschool parking lot a block from my house and over the gym and tennis courts. For me, near full throttle is almost too fast for my thumbs. Don't need a park jet for this venue for fast. One quarter throttle and it can be floaty high alpha. WOT just zooms. Now as fun as the 17". Almost completely axial in rolls too. Little gusts are the only issue I ever see with this much dihedral. A variable wind in direction and gusts cause some issues landing or flying really low as you can get some nearly uncontrollable wing rock. Oh well no design gives you every thing and what small plane wouldn't have problems in high alpha a couple of feet above the ground with variable wind direction and gusts. Actually, since I haven't had anything else that I fly this low in high alpha, maybe the dihedral tames it. Hmmm...

The fun just contines.

Art, mess with the motor mount and you may put a way your darts for a while.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 31, 2008, 11:35 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
Art:

The big difference between the NutBall and the Smart Dart is, the NB has no tail, the SD does. A different kettle of cod fish for sure.......I'm a Blue Noser from NS and that's getting pretty close to NL.....oh, and L. So watch it!

Because flying wings, which the NB is, do not have a tail to stabilize it in pitch, other factors must be designed in. Depending on whether you want a go fast or a slow fly, or both, you use reflex, balance and thrust lines to accomplish this.

If your motor is about the wing, which mine is because of the mount I used, that OK, it's the same as adding bit of down thrust. But under the wing will negate some of the down you already have build in, because it's the same as adding a bit of up thrust.

I mentioned earlier about a flying buddy who told me his NB flew like crap and when I examined it, he had no down thrust. He added the DT and tool back what he said as it flew like a charm.

He didn't read the first posts on this thread and only looked at the plan.

OK, so you seem to be on the right track now, so I'll stop the naggin'.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2008, 11:44 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
Haven't flown my Darts in ages.........just a little bit boring now since NutBalls can do more.

Auctually, I stripped the gear from one for a backup combat NB.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2008, 11:51 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,239 Posts
wolf: I'm with you on that one, big power that is. After flying my buddies overpowered NB the other day, I'm upgrading.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2008, 01:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Yes and I am only flying 2s. My new motor has at least 5oz more thrust on 3s. I have some issues with my le split bamboo spar being peeled back in flight now. It is hot glued on. I have also added some stringed packing tape on the front as the corners seem to get some stress there from being blown over by wind and in fast rolls etc...
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 31, 2008, 02:04 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Yup, NB's are different, aint they? OK, 17"er all ready again, with motor moved UPPPPP
It's almost in line with the wing so this should do it... Heck, I might even strip some of my Darts for equipment and build more NB's....
As for readin instructions, you know what they say, "If all else fails f, er read em again and follow to a T..... Just had a dandy thunder dunder roll through here so I aint gonna go out and get wet....
Thanks guys, and especially you Frank... I'm a firm believer in NB"s now....
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old May 31, 2008, 07:48 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
Hey O' Golden One,

Flying my 20" BW powered nutball this evening. Took it to altitude, full up, then
full down and full left rudder. It spun like a drill bit till I tweaked the elevator and
let the rudder go. Fast too! I was pleased when the elevator reacted as
quickly as it did. I can now honestly claim that I have "spun" a Nutball.*G*
Warm regards, Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old May 31, 2008, 11:14 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hatch
Hey O' Golden One,

Flying my 20" BW powered nutball this evening. Took it to altitude, full up, then
full down and full left rudder. It spun like a drill bit till I tweaked the elevator and
let the rudder go. Fast too! I was pleased when the elevator reacted as
quickly as it did. I can now honestly claim that I have "spun" a Nutball.*G*
Warm regards, Jim
I've got to try this now...

I'll see if I can do it in the morning.

I love that I can fly it in front of my house!
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz