SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2008, 07:26 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Art, I have found that leaving the paper on is problematic due to weight and due to the fact that is less resilient in crashes. I would think that coroplast would be lighter than leaving the paper on and tougher. Haven't weighed the two of course. Use a 7x6 prop on that motor as recommended by lazertoyz it will handle it and really does well on my 17" paperless board NB, MY FAVORITE PLANE!!!

P.S. Your motor is mounted too low according to the master's teaching unless you have added in more than the recommended down thrust.

Of course mine ramblings are only to help and can and should be corrected, but I believe I am correct.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Last edited by tymbrewolf; May 29, 2008 at 07:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2008, 07:42 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Black wire syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Where's all the GWS prop experts?

The black wire syndrome mostly effected the negative wire where DC power was being used. Way back when, it seemed to be a problem in transmitters. Although the last time I encountered it was an AC extension cord. Not being an electrician, not exactly sure about what causes it.
Yes, I remember the problems with the transmitter connections... Happened especially in the older transmitters, but haven't heard of any problems since..
It was a real question then, to what was causing it.
As for AC, the houses that were wired with the aluminum wiring have turned out to be a real problem now.. Wouldn't want to have to replace my wiring in the house now, Real expensive.... Never mind the extension cords. Probably was somebody out to make a quick buck and didn't give a hoot as to what they used...
Post 770 has my revamped 17"er... And, still, problems, altho it dont' screw and loop like the other one did... Now, it just hangs on the prop!! Am I using too big a prop?? 7/3.5.... Maybe a 6/4????
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old May 29, 2008, 07:44 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
Art, I have found that leaving the paper on is problematic due to weight and due to the fact that is less resilient in crashes. I would think that coroplast would be lighter than leaving the paper on and tougher. Haven't weighed the two of course. Use a 7x6 prop on that motor as recommended by lazertoyz it will handle it and really does well on my 17" paperless board NB, MY FAVORITE PLANE!!!

P.S. Your motor is mounted too low according to the master's teaching unless you have added in more than the recommended down thrust.

Of course mine ramblings are only to help and can and should be corrected, but I believe I am correct.
Motor mounted too low? It's got 5* downthrust.....Hummmmmmm. Will find out today with the lighter battery... and, more forward!!
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old May 29, 2008, 08:36 AM
Breaker of Stuff
Australia, TAS, Somerset
Joined Feb 2004
610 Posts
Tasmanian NutBall

Hey guys,
I got my 20" NutBall finished and maidened today.
Ended up flying it for most of the day.
What an awesome little plane!
Flew beautifully only had to give it a few clicks of up trim and it was perfect.
I like how it handles in a hover, really cool.
Will try and get some video.
Specs :
10mm epp
1300kv blue wonder
10 amp esc
1047 prop
900mah 2s lipo
corona rx
5g servos
AUW 8.2oz
Thanks goldguy for the great design! Mine flies as advertised.
Cheers,
Tas.
Tasmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Tasmaniac
Old May 29, 2008, 10:35 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,257 Posts
thewz and tas: Glad your enjoying the NB. It's all about having fun.

Art: You don't seem to be having any fun lately. You really need to put your foamies on a diet, as I'm sure that's a big part of their problem. Weight is our enemy, so built to fly, not to crash. Trying to pull around extra dead weight uses up gobs of thrust, more amps thus heating up the motor, ESC and lipos, all wasted power for shorter flights, causes more damage when crashed and has to fly too fast to stay aloft.

There is absolutely no comparison between flying a light NutBall and a heavy one, one is fun, the other frustrating. As a matter of fact, this applies to all aircraft, big or small, regardless of it's power source.

My 17 incher weighs in at 4.4 ounces RTF, has a loading of 2.9 oz. per.sq. ft. and is powered by one of those 16g motors on 2S 460s turning a 7 X 4 HobbyCity SF prop. Flys like a dream, floaty or balistic vertical and likes inverted, and all that other silly fun stuff.

My 20 incher weighs in at 6.9 ounces RTF, has a wing loading of 3.2 oz. per sq. ft. and is powered by a 1300kv Blu Wondr on 2S 730's turning a 9 X 3.8 HobbyCity SF prop. Flys like a dream, floaty or balastic vertical and doen't like inverted very well, but all that other silly fun stuff.

Hummm? Did I just repeat myself? Oh well, repetition for emphasis.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; May 29, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:32 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Gold... there are still a lot of otherwise very good modellers out there who still have not got the message on weight....maybe they never will...

My thoughts on the subject are these:-
1. Buy a set of electronic scales that weigh in oz and grams (should read down to 1g and up to 16oz.)

2. Weigh all the bits take no notice of what the manufacturer/vendor say the weight is..... check for yourself...they lie! include the foam, horns, wire, wheels etc connectors and battery.

You now have a very good idea what the minimum weight will be.... add 1oz for paint and glue... worst case senario.

Make any adjustment you require to get to your target.

How do you know what the target weight is. Often it's no more difficult to find than reading the thread for the plane you intend to build.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 29, 2008, 11:40 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Nice looking NB Tas!

I gotta make another one, mine has had the rudder grafted on 8 or 9 times, the fuse under the wing in in the same condition. I've really beat on it, flying in a confined space off my deck. The beauty is when it's windy I can fly in the yadr cause the tall trees shelter the yard.

I have a 15' thin branch I keep handy to poke it out of the trees.

Guess it's time for a EPP one.
Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old May 29, 2008, 02:50 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlane
I remember a few years back, there was always talk about the "Black wire syndrome". Has anybody heard of reocurrances on this??
I did a little searching. This seems to be from electrolyte leaking from NiCD (and possibly NiMH?) cells
(and not from solder or flux used for solder):

http://www.barbadosrc.org/misc/blackwire.php

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/blkwire.html
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old May 29, 2008, 05:53 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,257 Posts
dekan: I'm the same as you, I weigh everything first, then build the size I need to give me the lowest wing loading possible, afterall, the foam weighs little and a few square inches makes a hudge difference.

Well, it off to charge up batteries for tonight, it's perfect out there, so we should have a hudge nut cluster show up. I've got the streamers.............
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 29, 2008, 06:07 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,941 Posts
Another over weight NB I am afraid ( bit like me) but thanks goldguy for the great design and thanks Dave Reap for the link to this thread.

No epp no depron other than burger boxes (that will do for the rudder)

Wheels hummm 1" hole saw through a scrap piece of upvc door

Tyres slice off two bits of pipe insulation and shape to suit

UC those old bike spokes will do

Fuse/wings..... didn't I have some soft (swim noodle like) under floor sheet foam (yelofon hd10) here somwhere?

This foam warps a bit brace it like goldguy but with garden strimmer line yup that will work plus a couple of pieces of 2mm cf one front and back

hinge the elevator with hot glue

Horns .....shape them from bits of upvc

Well heavy @about 13 oz but indestructable

It will hover and still a fun plane my grandson and I tested it am today before the clouds opened up and it poured with rain

Needs a bit of cog adujustment (very sensititve to this )but no time today here is the result

I love makng stuff ,out of stuff you should not make stuff out of

1500 blue wonder 9046 slowfly prop 900mah 2s generous 5 degree down thrust

Thanks again goldguy and Dave

This is the maiden, first time it had power in anger straight out of the back of the car slapped on the batery balanced it on my fingers at 6" and put it on the ground

24" NUTBALL SOFT FOAM RC DISC PLANE (3 min 35 sec)

I am not realy tight with money ...honest

Goldguy what are you using for streamers???...... now what did I have at the back of the cupboard up stairs
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Last edited by Upup; May 29, 2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old May 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Art, here is what I was talking about on the motor. Look at my pictures of the squirt. at post #219. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...83#post9381083 and read Gene's lesson about motor mounts below it. I raised the centerline of the motor up to the wingline and kept the down thrust. Kept wanting to fly up prior to this. My darts fly fine with the motor mounted lower. Maybe its the 2* incidence difference on the tail of them. All I know is put the motor at the wing line and the NB will fly better, and keep the 5* down thrust. My uniformed $.02.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 29, 2008, 09:24 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Man...it's been so windy I can't fly....tried today....looked like a kite off the string. It was a handful to get back on the ground.....
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old May 29, 2008, 10:22 PM
Foam Wrecker
3710'36.54"N, 116 2'46.08"W
Joined Jun 2002
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewz
Man...it's been so windy I can't fly....tried today....looked like a kite off the string. It was a handful to get back on the ground.....
I never noticed how windy my area is until I got into RC. Now, it's really annoying.
BillBlair is offline Find More Posts by BillBlair
Old May 29, 2008, 11:54 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlair
I never noticed how windy my area is until I got into RC. Now, it's really annoying.
Took her up again anyway...to heck with the wind!

Went through 2 batteries.....

Love the super slow high AOA fly-bys....now everyone in the neighborhood wants one...
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old May 30, 2008, 09:05 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
I just cut out my 1st big one (21")

What should the tip dihedral be in inches on a 21" NB?
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake