HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Thrust Guage

Ok, now, is there a thingamabob that a fellow can build to check the thrust of a motor with different props, that's already installed on a NB?
I am thinking of making a small table, sliding type, something like a dolly, to attach the plane to, with a fish scale, attached to the rear. to read the different poundages??
Or, as Frank would say, "Buy a watt meter" but I don't have one yet, and thought this might be another way to test different props and lipos, 2c and 3c
Huh??????????????
Betcha somebody out there has an idea, and never mind the remarks about me being so cheap! Heck, that's why NB's are so much fun, not expensive!
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Last edited by artlane; May 27, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2008, 05:09 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jan 2007
307 Posts
Thanks for all the solderin tips guys, great help!!!!

David
DavidWent is offline Find More Posts by DavidWent
Old May 27, 2008, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Art, I asked a few posts back if you took the paper off your artboard.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 28, 2008, 05:38 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWent
Thanks for all the solderin tips guys, great help!!!!

David
Lee mentioned using flux when you solder. This isn't necessary if you buy rosin core solder. The rosin is the flux and it's already in the solder.
woolebugr is offline Find More Posts by woolebugr
Old May 28, 2008, 06:48 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
Art, I asked a few posts back if you took the paper off your artboard.
Nope, left it on.. Wanted something STRONG this time, and it looks like I got it...
Hopefully will test fly today, no wind for a change, still cool tho..
I'm working on that thrust thingamabob.. Frank gave me the page number for it and hopefully, I can throw it together this morning before I go flying....
Will see.....
Old May 28, 2008, 07:56 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Solder with flux in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolebugr
Lee mentioned using flux when you solder. This isn't necessary if you buy rosin core solder. The rosin is the flux and it's already in the solder.
Ya, but sometimes you have to be careful with this solder... If your soldering joints on a circut board, it's not a good idea to use it... Will eventually work into the circut board, and KAPUT, yer receiver is done for.....
I remember a few years back, there was always talk about the "Black wire syndrome". Has anybody heard of reocurrances on this??
Old May 28, 2008, 10:57 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,380 Posts
Where's all the GWS prop experts?

The black wire syndrome mostly effected the negative wire where DC power was being used. Way back when, it seemed to be a problem in transmitters. Although the last time I encountered it was an AC extension cord. Not being an electrician, not exactly sure about what causes it.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 28, 2008, 11:00 AM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlane
Nope, left it on.. Wanted something STRONG this time, and it looks like I got it...
Hopefully will test fly today, no wind for a change, still cool tho..
I'm working on that thrust thingamabob.. Frank gave me the page number for it and hopefully, I can throw it together this morning before I go flying....
Will see.....
What's the weight?
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old May 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Just built a 23.5 inch version. Going to fly today if I feel up to it...darn flu....
Old May 28, 2008, 11:18 AM
Foam Wrecker
3710'36.54"N, 116 2'46.08"W
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
Quote:
GWS props have numbers on them that start with "DD", "HD", and "RD". I understand what the numbers mean (9070=9x7) but I don't know the difference between the DD, HD, and RD. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks
All I know is that DD stands for Direct Drive which, I gather, is for high RPM use, RD stands for Reduction Drive which is for lower RPM use on geared power systems and HD stands for Hyper Drive which I believe is also a high RPM direct drive prop, perhaps for non-electric power systems (just a guess)? I'd love to hear a much more in-depth explanation of these myself since I couldn't find anything on the GWS site about this when I looked there some time ago.
BillBlair is offline Find More Posts by BillBlair
Old May 28, 2008, 08:06 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlane
Quote:
Ya, but sometimes you have to be careful with this solder... If your soldering joints on a circut board, it's not a good idea to use it... Will eventually work into the circut board, and KAPUT, yer receiver is done for.....
I remember a few years back, there was always talk about the "Black wire syndrome". Has anybody heard of reocurrances on this??
When I learned to solder electronics (too many years ago to count),
rosin core solder was what one was supposed to use on electronics (was safe for electronics).
If the solder did not have a rosin core, then one needed extra rosin flux to clean off the surfaces for the solder to 'stick' well to those surfaces.
The solder to avoid using with electronics (would eat the electronics eventually) was acid core solder (meant for soldering copper pipes, which I have only done once or twice).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old May 28, 2008, 08:13 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlair
All I know is that DD stands for Direct Drive which, I gather, is for high RPM use, RD stands for Reduction Drive which is for lower RPM use on geared power systems and HD stands for Hyper Drive which I believe is also a high RPM direct drive prop, perhaps for non-electric power systems (just a guess)? I'd love to hear a much more in-depth explanation of these myself since I couldn't find anything on the GWS site about this when I looked there some time ago.
As far as I know:
- RD is also known as SF, or 'slow flyer'.
- DD and HD labels seem to sometimes be used interchangeably.
- For a prop with the same diameter and pitch, the DD/HD style will draw less current and give less thrust than the RD/SF style.
- The DD/HD style seems to have larger diameter holes for the shaft than a RD/SF style of similar size.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old May 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
There was a thread last year discussing the various GWS prop markings : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743674

A bit more info in Chuck's blog here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855805

Si.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2008, 12:26 AM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
The big Nutball flies like a dream. I think the smaller one was just too heavy. As a matter of fact one of my neighbors asked me to build one for his son....

I finally have a plane I can fly in my California size front yard!
Old May 29, 2008, 07:32 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewz
What's the weight?
Heavy! I just weighed it and it's a whopping 6 3/4 oz.... That Artboard is heavy! Another thing, I used Balsa, 1/2" X 1" for the fus stick, again heavy..
I flew it yesterday, unsuccessfully, with an E-Flite 7.4V 800mah lipo.. Had the CG set at 25% and kept moving is back, 30%, 35%, but all it wanted to do was nose first in the air... So, am changing the Velcro now so I can move it forward, to the nose!!! Seemed awful tail heavy and found that I had to put a lot of down in the elevator to get it to go straight... Again, today, am trying the moving towards the nose to see if that will get it flat flying.. and use a lighter Lipo, WOW 7.4 350mAh pack... 29gr vs 42gr.... And, as luck would have it, the winds are still calm!
It's the 17gr motor from Lazer, swinging a 7/3.5 prop, GWS Grey...Maybe I should drop down to a 6" prop??
Anyway, got another "Problem flyer" but am going to get it up, come hell or high water!!!!!!!!!!!!!