HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2008, 08:12 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,986 Posts
I'm using both the Turnigy 6A and 10A, and the Castle Creations ThunderBird 6A and 9A. If you go for the Turnigy from Hobby City, get a program card, nothing is more simple.

I also have the Powerpro 12A, but don't like the hard cutoff.....they're gathering dust.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2008, 01:10 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Total now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps:>)
“dekan: I'll get some pics to post soon of the delta, **maybe start a new thread**. I love deltas (have four)” goldguy

“Gold... I currently have 5.....building 2 more..may freeze production at 10..” dekan

** maybe start a new thread** goldguy . . .

deltas: I’m excited.

May have you beat, three powered . . . fan-fold ‘chuckers’ seven total!

Why stop at 10
Huh, one gramps to another... Last count I have 5 Darts, 1 Skokie and 5 NB's
Total = 11 now and two more on the drawing board, one a profile "Jack" and the other is a Chubby cubby, ala Gene's design....
Now, beat that!
By the way, Frank, my 17"er has been replace with anther one, same size only out of the "ArtBoard" foam.... Tougher, and heavier!!!! But that 17gr. motor will fly this or my name isn't, Try try again Art. Just figgerin out the
specs on it now.... Hummmmmmm, did I say heavy? Oh well.
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old May 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
OK, you motor/engine guru's, what do I replace my Cox .049 nitro with, for electric competition flying... !/2 A Texaco.....
2804 too big?
I'm limited to an 8" prop..
Quick, I want to fly in our clubs competition this Saturday.....
Last edited by artlane; May 22, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:12 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,986 Posts
'2808' doesn't tell us much. What flavor, how much does it weigh, what size props does it turn, at what amps and how many cell does it take? Anyhoo, sounds too big for 1/2A Texaco. I'll bet it weighs over a 1 1/2 ounces.

Or maybe it's a Blu Wonder your asking about, that's different. If so, give it a try.

Always start with the prop and work backwards, this goes for all setups. So you want to turn an 8" prop. Start there. Now, find a motor that will turn that prop using the batteries you have, 2S or 3S. But, I thinking your limited to two cells for that class. Am I right? Now you need to determine what the amp draw will be on this setup. If you get a low amps draw and lots of thrust, you can use smaller lighter batteries. Your looking for a light setup because your going for altitude and duration.

Just a guess from here, especially without testing it on MY wattmeter (hint, hint) but I would think a CDRom based motor in the 50 watt range would be the ticket.

It's still all about the trust, so you'lll need to do some test flights or use a thrust device. I just run a beam off my bench, place my scale on it and hang the model for a loop of string that goes over the scale. Works fine.

Keep records, write everything down for future use.

www.zebrahobby.ca has wattmeters for about $60 if your still waiting on that LHS. He can have your one in three days.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; May 22, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 06:12 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,518 Posts
The big 32" nutball has flown... and very nicely too.

The modifications on this were the KF step at 50% and a slightly taller rudder.
AUW 20oz COG at 25%

The flight was in a 5-10mph breeze. Take off was slightly slower than the lighter 24" version.. more mass to accelerate.. Initial high rate climb was soon trimmed out, similarly to the 24" about 3mm down was needed for level flight at 1/2 power.
The elevator was very powerfull and I downrated to about 60% and added expo -70 to soften the response ...the movement measured 30mm each way
The rudder was 1 1/2" taller than the scaled 9" from the plan ...movement about 40 degrees each way... Rolls are slowish but ok, better at full speed
Slow speed manouvering great...hovers nicely in the breeze slow enough to go backwards or hand catch.

The KF step hasnt made any noticable difference to the flight when compared to my 24" version... it does however make the wing stronger and stiffer

the bigger version handles the breeze better..

all in all I am very happy with this one.. it gives me something to run my larger batteries on that flys well when a lighter plane would be knocked about a bit..

again thanks for this design
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old May 23, 2008, 06:28 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
1/2A Texaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
'2808' doesn't tell us much. What flavor, how much does it weigh, what size props does it turn, at what amps and how many cell does it take? Anyhoo, sounds too big for 1/2A Texaco. I'll bet it weighs over a 1 1/2 ounces.

Or maybe it's a Blu Wonder your asking about, that's different. If so, give it a try.

Always start with the prop and work backwards, this goes for all setups. So you want to turn an 8" prop. Start there. Now, find a motor that will turn that prop using the batteries you have, 2S or 3S. But, I thinking your limited to two cells for that class. Am I right? Now you need to determine what the amp draw will be on this setup. If you get a low amps draw and lots of thrust, you can use smaller lighter batteries. Your looking for a light setup because your going for altitude and duration.

Just a guess from here, especially without testing it on MY wattmeter (hint, hint) but I would think a CDRom based motor in the 50 watt range would be the ticket.

It's still all about the trust, so you'lll need to do some test flights or use a thrust device. I just run a beam off my bench, place my scale on it and hang the model for a loop of string that goes over the scale. Works fine.

Keep records, write everything down for future use.

www.zebrahobby.ca has wattmeters for about $60 if your still waiting on that LHS. He can have your one in three days.
I knew I'd forget the most important part, info!
It's a 1/2A Dallaire Sportster, weight is 17oz, wingspan is 50", Area is 325 sq. in, Balsa/covered with LiteSpan. (That's with the old way, .049, battery, nicd, switch.) The weight dropped to 11 oz. after all that was taken out and rough estimates of ESC, Lipo, 2408 TP motor, no switch.
With the .049 Cox, I was using a 7/3.5 prop (Max is an 8" prop) and yes, I will be using a 2C Lipo, 800mAh max..
The 2408 (I typed it wrong) I spoke of is the TowerPro motor from Lazer, ESC is the 10amp TowerPro.
Since it's mounted in my 27" Dart now, I haven't any idea of weight. Probably around the 1 1/2 oz, looking at it and guessing.. I use an 8/4 slow fly GWS on it and it flies good with that... Amps draw? Dern, don't know for sure, but it doesn't get hot, nor does the ESC/Battery. (your suggestion, the Watt meter from Zebra sounds like the way I'm gonna have to go, thanks to our local HS.. )
OK, is that enough info now?
Last edited by artlane; May 23, 2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
By the way, here's the new 17incher, my grandsons 25", both NB's, and the Dallaire I spoke of.. (I know, the Dallaire should be in the other forum, but this is easier and I don't have to look very far...
Old May 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,986 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track, so go with that. I converted a 1/2A Texaco Brigidier some time ago to a lowly Speed 300 on 7 cells and it works good. Not sure, but I think the flying weight was 16 ounces.

Hummm, a NutBall with a fuse on top. I like the look.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2008, 07:42 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
NB with fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Sounds like your on the right track, so go with that. I converted a 1/2A Texaco Brigidier some time ago to a lowly Speed 300 on 7 cells and it works good. Not sure, but I think the flying weight was 16 ounces.

Hummm, a NutBall with a fuse on top. I like the look.
I did that for more strength, it's a biggie and still floppy for 5mm EPP.. Old brushed GWS motor with a 10" prop..
Off to the contest.... Will try the NB when a chance arrives..
Old May 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Art, looks like you left the paper on panda one. 1/2 a bamboo skewer in front and half at the tail for spars works great without paper. Leaving the paper on will crinkle it more as well.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Last edited by tymbrewolf; May 24, 2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: lots more weight too.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:42 AM
Nashua NH
Joined Jan 2007
307 Posts
Just got my Watts-Up watt meter from UH this morning. $47. shipped. Way to windy to fly today so I'll be reading through the 35 page manual and get this going. arrrggg more soldering. The worst part about this hobby imho

David
DavidWent is offline Find More Posts by DavidWent
Old May 24, 2008, 09:22 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
Hey Dekan,

I got in my Blue Wonders from Lazertoys yesterday along with the lipo's and
props you recommended. I dropped one into a 20 inch Nutball I had waiting
for it and when the wind died out this evening, I had a ball. That darned combo
was great. Much more active than the 30 inch I'd been flying. About half
throttle was all I needed, but I could use it all without flutter. I had a lot of
fun with it until darkness shut me down. Gotta put some lights on it. I really
appreciate your recommendations on motors/gear. You done good by me.*G*
Warm regards, Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old May 24, 2008, 09:30 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
Oops! Double post.
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old May 24, 2008, 11:16 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
History repeats itself!

This could easily be mistaken for a NutBall but it's a Hoot circa 2005.

Good news for those still flying brushed, it's powered by a Johnson 250. Join the fun!

Here's the thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316794
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Last edited by paulo810; May 24, 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:50 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,986 Posts
soldering......the worst part about this hobby imho.......David[/QUOTE]

One thing about 'E' power, you have to learn to love soldering........
RCG Plus Member