HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2008, 02:15 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Ya got that right Dave, for real fun, it's gotta......'float like a butterfly and sting like a bee'.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2008, 04:36 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Jim W,

I see some UFO reports in your towns future.

Nice Nite Ball
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old May 13, 2008, 03:46 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,898 Posts
I decided to up the size to 32"... 5 1/2 sq ft area ... I am going to add the top 50% KF step which will also stiffen the wing, but to keep with rudder and elevator. With a bigger power system I am hoping for an auw of under 17 oz ..arround 3oz sq ft wing loading
my only worry is that such a large area will be too affected by any wind... still its worth a go.. I expect with this design I wont get any problems

......... dave
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old May 13, 2008, 02:36 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Ya, it's me again.... Need some answers, Fank....
How come?????????????? Flew my new NB, 20"er today for the first time... My nerves aint settled yet!!!!!!!!!
First, it's the 20" NB, motor is the 17gr from Lazer, prop (was) an 84 grey, not APC, ESC is the 6amp from Lazer and two GWS pico servos, GWS 4 channel receiver.... All on one 7.4, 800MaH lip, from E-Flite (outta my heli)
Now, turned on, full throttle, launched........ Whoooooooooah... loops, rolls like crazy and wouldn't stop rollin (Who said these things don't roll????).
CG was roughly 28% and changed to 30% after first flight... Still rolled like crazy.. Wind was around 14 to 15K's..... Even launched at 1/2 throttle, and it still rolled... Hard as all heck to get straightened out, which only lasted for a split second then back rolling and looping.... Elevator set at neutral, a little right rudder, little I said...
Got any idea what the problem is?
Flew my SlowEPoke and no problem, perfect flights, all 6 of em over 8 minutes each
Gad, my eyes are still rollin!
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Last edited by artlane; May 13, 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Prop
Old May 13, 2008, 03:12 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Hummmm???? Somethin' aint right. What ever it is, it sounds excessive.

Is the centre wing section dead flat? If not, that will make the tips out of kilter, causing a turn/roll. I had to add a 'X' brace to the bottom of NB #1 because of the problem with 6mm EPP being sooooo floppy.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2008, 03:30 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Mid section

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Hummmm???? Somethin' aint right. What ever it is, it sounds excessive.

Is the centre wing section dead flat? If not, that will make the tips out of kilter, causing a turn/roll. I had to add a 'X' brace to the bottom of NB #1 because of the problem with 6mm EPP being sooooo floppy.
By gad, will check that... I think I did see a bit of an undercamber, like an airfoil, but will check..
Wondered if I put a 9/4 in place of the 8/4, now defunct, would that draw too many amps or can I squeeze it??
Yes, I know, WATT METER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aint in the hobby shop yet... Jerks!
Pics of my fleet today... SlowEpoke flew great, so did his brother, untill the pilot made that bad mistake, SMUCK!! The little Orange Bloke flew almost as good, windy tho.. Then, all S*** hit the fan with the 20"er......
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old May 13, 2008, 03:30 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,898 Posts
our 24" ers are seriously stable, but both pulled up like mad at the beginning and needed about 3mm down trim on the elevator for nice level flight at 1/2 power... full power results in a climb again.. its strange but on take off this doesnt happen so bad.. the just fly away easy, leaving the ground without pulling up too much...

sounds like its seriously warped... put the cog back to 25% to start with ..hold the thing at arms length in fornt of yourself use one eye and check for warps...all should look level on the flat section...and you should see equal ammounts of the upraised tips towards the back of the plane...

I always glue my depron up and apply my tape decor using a nice flat glass table, to avoid any warps.. with tape decor... unwind the tape from the roll, then give the tape a minute to return to its original length before you stick it on.

my 32"er with a KF step is mostly built, now it needs just tail and elevator added plus the radio gear.... weight at the moment is 7oz ....looking good

good luck .....dave
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; May 13, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,946 Posts
Hi Dave
keep us posted on the 32" sizes please

regards jeff

\do you think a little blu will pull it? what about a bp21?
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Last edited by Upup; May 13, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Art, I am having some flexing problems on my 20ish" version, but that is with a high torque motor.

I simply can't stop smiling when flying my 17" NB with the 17g lazertoyz motor. I use 5g servos, and their 500 2s battery. I use their 12a esc and a vampower rx. The motor spins a gws 7060 prop. Small enough to take and fly about anywhere. It really clips a long with the 7060 or flies nice and slow. I follow Dan's specs on the motors he sells since I don't yet have the wattmeter.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 13, 2008, 08:57 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Art: That's a lot of fin area ahead of the rudder, cut it back like #8's in your picture. My 20 incher has a height of 5 1/2" from the base to the top of the rudder, with both the fin and rudder being 3" wide.

Dave: Maybe a bit more down thrust will tame it down.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2008, 09:03 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
I changed the motor on my 17 incher from a GS18 to the 10g Silver Bullet and now to the 16g on a 7 X 4 with 2S. Wow........there's no substitute for horse power, ten times the fun now.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
As much fun as the NB is just putzing around in the small tree surrounded confines of my back yard, it's a blast in the openness of an athletic field. I flew 2 packs tonite at sunset and just ripping around the skies, doing irreverant things, chopping power from waaay up high and holding the rudder over to spin her down, was too much fun!

Learning to keep it inverted, needs the battery back and only a moderate speed. It's tough to do!

Mine's getting kind of ratty looking, dings and glued up tears in the LE, and the rudder has been re attached at least 10 times! Still flies like I just made it.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old May 13, 2008, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Frank, what 7x4 do you use and what kind of amps. Have you tried any three bladed props on this. The 7x6 and 17g (1700Kv) is promoted by Dan's tests at 252g of thrust at 7.5amps and 53 Watts. How does your setup compare? Still need to tweak my larger one to act the same. One thing I can say for Dave's rewound motor is how smooth it is. Both of the motors I have from him are much smoother in operation than is the stock motors I have.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:47 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Adding the heavy 16g motor drove the weight up to a massive 4.4 ounces RTF and increased the wing loading to a whopping 3.5 oz. per sq.ft., but I can live with that.

I'm using those el cheapo SF props from HC. The 7 X 4 pulls 5.2 amps and drops the volts down to 7.1 when the lipo is hot off the charger at WOT. That equates to 37 watts of horse power, for almost 135 watts per pound. So you can see what I'm now dealing with........rocketship to the moon kind of fun.

I tried a GWS 7 X 3.5, but not quite enough zip.

I must get my act together and build a thrust stand some day. For now, I just hold the model up in front of my face and if the prop wash takes my breath away, I know I've got it right.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Have you tried a gws 7060 sf? My only concern with those is that there is not much plastic at the hub. They break instead of popping over on a the prop saver.