HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2008, 01:06 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
wolf:

Side thrust is not so noticeable during flight and is used to offset the torque from the prop when hitting the throttle during taking off. I think you just need to stiffen up the fuse/spine.

Now down thrust, that's a different story. A FB built a NB and complained it flew like crap (exactly his words) and he was right, it did. He was trying to use elevator trim to sort things out, which is not the same as down thrust. I checked it over and the motor was set at 0/0, so I scolded him for not reading the instructions in this thread and set him back to his workshop.

The next time we flew, he took back his comment about the NB and said it was a thing of beauty and that he had fallen in love all over again.

So, this got me to thinking, why don't I try some down thrust on my Yuk 54, which I did and wow, what a difference. It tamed down the pitch problem and made flying inverted possible without any elevator input. I'm going to experiment a bit more and then change all my PBFs.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2008, 01:27 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Dave: Glad to see someone who designs his own foamies enjoy the NutBall too. I've had your Estratos design in my favorites for over a year now and guess it's time I build one of yours. I especially like the looks and the tractor arrangement (easy to balance), as it's not as loud and adds another dimension to flying a wing.......high alfa/prop hanging. I think I'll put all my other projects aside and do one this weekend......with a Canadian flag on top, it's much easier.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; May 03, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old May 03, 2008, 01:29 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Oh Rats...... I was looking forward to seeing the new Demon Delta, Frank
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 03, 2008, 01:43 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Oh Rats...... I was looking forward to seeing the new Demon Delta, Frank

Well, it's a long story. I took a small flattie delta with a mid pusher configuration and modified it to the Demon layout. Easy to do with EPP, hot melt glue and a Monokote trim iron. Just take it all apart using the iron, heat up all the excessive glue and pick up with a piece of terry cloth towel. Comes out just like new. Anyways, to get it to balance it would end up looking like Pinocchio. Even by adding more sweep, I still can't get the CG back far enough. Got really mad at it and set it aside for now.

I've got a perfect DIY motor for Dave's design that needs a home and I need a gofast fix right now.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2008, 01:47 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Hummmmmm, Canuk flag on top? We are true Canadians, aint we????
Rainin here now, n windy, so, back to the workshop and the 25" NB...
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old May 04, 2008, 12:17 AM
Nanaimo BC Canada
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Sep 2007
36 Posts
Frankenfoamie

More nutball finesse
Nutball 2 (1 min 37 sec)
Rotatto is offline Find More Posts by Rotatto
Old May 04, 2008, 12:25 AM
Nashua NH
Joined Jan 2007
307 Posts
Very nice Rot..A new version of the "touch and go"...catch and go!

David
DavidWent is offline Find More Posts by DavidWent
Old May 04, 2008, 05:20 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,027 Posts
To be honest...At the moment I prefer the nutball to the estratos, (apart from inverted)..Its strange, but its both more manuverable yet also more stable.

That said the estratos is a nice flyer, its just normal, rather than extreme

I tried a couple of loops the other day with not enough speed, the nutball got upside down then had itself a twitch and flew itself away the correct way up, self righting or what?

Ive just got to move the COG back a bit to the optimal location to get a good glide slope and more response elevator and rudder. At the moment its nosing down into a steepening dive when the power goes fully off and is a bit slower than I want to the rudder. The rolls are not as good as yours on your video

Despite needing some tweeking away from its safe start up settings, I stand by my previous evaluation ....excellent
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; May 04, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old May 04, 2008, 07:41 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Hey, Franks boomerang DID come back, and out, n back... Nice launches and catches..
Now, am I seeing double, or was that a second NB in the air with you??
Luck guys, weather like that has the rest of the country mad....
But, it's comin....
Old May 04, 2008, 11:49 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Gary: Can you post where I was trying to land on Bob's back? The AMA and MAAC would like a copy of that as a 'what not to do'!!!!

Art: I think there were three NBs that evening.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,027 Posts
Had another flying session. Myself and friend Richard (who designed my vulcan).... Two nutballs together...

Richard prefers his planes very steady, just like to get high up there and float arround. He likes old timers and especially powered gliders, easy fliers, so we dialed his nutball down to low rates on the rudder and about 60% on the elevator, also used exponential..... He loved it..

It has been a much better day, a steady slow breeze made slow low passes a dream, harriers were so easy, vertical landings were made, even a hand catch, and the only problem was I had to quit and do the food shopping, still, the batteries did need a charge.

ps. love the hand launch and catching video........dave
Last edited by davereap; May 04, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old May 04, 2008, 01:23 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
I tried a couple of loops the other day with not enough speed, the nutball got upside down then had itself a twitch and flew itself away the correct way up, self righting or what?
I have gotten something this with various planes (both real and on the simulator), especially ones with dihedral:
I start the loop at not that much speed. Somewhere between nose-up and starting to be inverted, it suddenly drops to low angle of attack and rolls to un-inverted heading about back where it came from.
One nice way to think about it: that 'automatic' roll just converted the 1/2 loop into sort of an Immelman
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old May 05, 2008, 07:26 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Old Timers

Dave, he likes old timers eh? Well, how bout this one... A Jimmie Allen Skokie, enlarge to 30" and built of ALL foam, Depron..
This model was done 3 years ago and our SAM club holds competitions throughout the summer and one of the events is the Jimmie Allen Skokie, RC..
I was a firm SAM believer, till Darts and NB's came along altho, I still fly my Dallaire Sportsters ocassionally, both 1/2 and A classes.. Nitro, ugggggg!

Richard prefers his planes very steady, just like to get high up there and float arround. He likes old timers and especially powered gliders, easy fliers, so we dialed his nutball down to low rates on the rudder and about 60% on the elevator, also used exponential..... He loved it..
Old May 05, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,027 Posts
Nice one.. richard would like that

heres one for a puzzle...
after getting a very loose engine mount I epoxied it back with much too much right thrust.. The nutball now rolls left ok but full right rudder only gets it inverted and there it stays... as soon as you let go the rudder it comes back the right way up... other than that it flew ok and we had another fun session.
We love the way its so stable at all speeds and how its so easy and controllable at such low speeds.
We tried loading it up with some bigger batteries today, since we were getting knocked about in the wind. 1800 lipos made it a bit better/smoother in the gusts but slightly reduced its manouverability. Mind you, we are still flying with the cog in a forward location
My best results are using a 1000-1200 lipo and with the cog 1/2 to 3/4 inch behind the 25% line....on a 24" nutball

richard also flew his powered glider today..flight time 45mins on an 1800 lipo, no lift arround...but its just what he enjoys, although he gets a stiff neck
Last edited by davereap; May 05, 2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 06, 2008, 06:30 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,027 Posts
I realigned the sidethrust after the last session..took it all out but left the downthrust in place.. Also I have increased the rudder area slightly as my nutball still is slow on the roll.

Had another fly this morning in a stiffish breeze....video 1 slow flying is a breeze

nutball rc flying saucer (1 min 12 sec)