Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2009, 09:24 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Sleepnomore

How did you do the face paint job in post 2296?

It's great!!!!

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:47 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPJB
Any comments from those who have tried a canopy on a NB about how it affects handling?Peter
Built the 17" and the 20" with no canopy. Then built a 16" with canopy and liked the results, so added it to the 20" as in post #1.

What makes the difference, is that the side area gives the rudder something to work against and makes it more responsive. If you find it's 'a little over the top', give the control surfaces less movement and make sure the CG is not too far back.

At our last indoor I was demonstrating just how stable the NutBall is after hearing someone comment that the NB doesn't glide. That comment from non flying, non building, non informed expert, who doesn't get it in the first place, but thinks he does. I moved the battery forward to about 25% CG and proceed to chuck it around in the gymn in free flight mode to nice gentle landings every time.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Feb 08, 2009, 11:04 AM
Enjoying the nice weather
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,650 Posts
I made a 20" nutball can I use a TP 2410-08, 2 9gram servos and a 2s battery that weighs 3.130oz Tired of waiting for my parts. Is this to heavy? or should I just wait?
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Feb 08, 2009, 12:20 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Battery and the motors are too heavy IMO for a 20"WS NB...24g motor and 1.5oz battery are more appropriate....BTW Frank the 18" I built my FB, glides very nicely thank you
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 08, 2009, 01:11 PM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Bromley, England
Joined Nov 2006
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden
Thanks dave

At last a cheap source for Depron now if I could find some EPP that would be nice

Regards

Terry
http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/i...p?cPath=87&osC
Bravedan is offline Find More Posts by Bravedan
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:36 PM
Qualicum Beach B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2008
85 Posts
No problems gliding my Nutball either. Kinda need to glide when you're 200' in the air and you run out of juice!

The Nutball was my first ever scratch built rc plane, only Air Hogs and Stormlauncher up till then. (differential thrust)

The Nutball is what got me hooked. After flying Goldguys @ indoor one night I started building, I don't think I've stopped since.

GoldGuy's Nutball (1 min 59 sec)

Thank you Goldguy and Jonesymj for the inspiration, and by the way we missed you on Saturday @ the new spot, it's just not the same without the Nutball with his Nutball! LOL

Geoff Kee aka Supraman359.
supraman359 is offline Find More Posts by supraman359
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:14 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782
I made a 20" nutball can I use a TP 2410-08, 2 9gram servos and a 2s battery that weighs 3.130oz Tired of waiting for my parts. Is this to heavy? or should I just wait?
Weigh the works. Now, if you have around 8 ounces, that will give you a wing loading of 3.67 ounces per square foot, acceptable, but not great. Doesn't sound like much, but closer to 3 is best.

If you can't wait, give it a try and then when you get your lighter stuff installed, you'll really appreciate lightness after experiencing the difference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2009, 11:14 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,840 Posts
Nice commentary on the vid

That is the smallest gym I have ever seen flown in...just a little taller than my garage
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:23 AM
Vancouver Wa
Joined May 2002
9 Posts
Just wanted to say THANKS! for the great design. I just finished up a 20" out of dollar tree foam board, with hxt500 servos, 24g blue wonder motor, ar6100 receiver, and 2s-460 battery. AUW is 5 3/8 oz

I can't believe how long it flys on the 2s, and when I stick the 3s-610's in it, it's a real hoot. I've never had so much fun with $1.00 worth of foam.

Thanks again,

Jeff
jeffery_1965 is offline Find More Posts by jeffery_1965
Old Feb 09, 2009, 01:05 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,197 Posts
That's the first time I watched it with sound. Is that how we really sound?
Someone needs there mouth washed out with soap. Bringing a bar next week for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 11:16 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,798 Posts
Much more entertaining with the "technical" language thrown in

I had another fly of the nutball..32" Kite version (see post 2294)... its all trimmed for a nice flat glide hands off.. but power up and it wanted to climb like mad and turn to the left..so I packed the mount to give more down and right but I couldnt get enough in.. There was an improvement but it needs the same or more again... so I am going to have to make some major adjustments to the thrust lines by removing and retying the motor mount tube..
Rest of flying great, this one rolls fast and loops tight.... all fine there.... but with a forward COG it wont spin, just a flat small circlular flight path....I do like the nutballs...
Once the thrust lines are sorted I will be trying it out at night with the lights going...
But for now its pouring down and windy...at least down in this part of the UK we have been spared the snow
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Feb 09, 2009, 03:18 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
I've seen the PZ brick equiped NB's, but has anyone made a big one?
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:05 PM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
482 Posts
My 20" NB flies slower with a 10x47 prop ,i enjoy this.thats the thing with theses NB'S,they are just great fast ,slow,prop hanging,i think there's no limit-i hope not.we are having a blast.
MYHELIGUY is offline Find More Posts by MYHELIGUY
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:04 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Much more entertaining with the "technical" language thrown in

I had another fly of the nutball..32" Kite version (see post 2294)... its all trimmed for a nice flat glide hands off.. but power up and it wanted to climb like mad and turn to the left..so I packed the mount to give more down and right but I couldnt get enough in.. There was an improvement but it needs the same or more again... so I am going to have to make some major adjustments to the thrust lines by removing and retying the motor mount tube..
Rest of flying great, this one rolls fast and loops tight.... all fine there.... but with a forward COG it wont spin, just a flat small circlular flight path....I do like the nutballs...
Once the thrust lines are sorted I will be trying it out at night with the lights going...
But for now its pouring down and windy...at least down in this part of the UK we have been spared the snow
Dave, we mentioned you really quick on ATTF this week (episode 81) for the ultra cool kite version of the nutball. I put it in the show notes links as well, and the RC kites in the night flying section. The nutball is great fun and I really like your design. Want to see it all lit up in the sky!!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:21 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
741 Posts
Not to mess with near perfection, but...

I just built a 20" EPS Nutball yesterday...BW,9G servos,6100E, 3s460mah...176g AUW=2.8oz/sqft...flew it today for about 1 hour on several packs, including an 800mah (204g,3.3oz/sqft)....actually liked the heavier loading, especially when pouring on the juice....I really love this thing!! its almost impossible to fall out of a hover and not flip upright instantly! thanks!

I am going to build it in EPP next (I proto any new bird in EPS first, then if its a keeper...and Nutball is definitely a keeper! then commit to EPP)

but as I was hovering about a foot off the ground, trying to get spontaneous, axial,torque rolls to occur (they will if perfectly vertical) the nasty thought of evelons to ease this move came to mind....
I don't think another 10g will hurt this puppy at all by adding the third servo and splitting the elevator into evelons, but has anyone tried this and do you get any better rolls?
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli