HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2009, 01:41 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,210 Posts
If using EPP, I melt out a 'V' grove with a modified solder iron tip, prop up required distance, run two beads of hot melt into the slot and smooth with a Monokote trim iron....total time to do, less than 9 minutes tops.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 02:19 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,210 Posts
The prototype NutBall for manufacturing will be beamed up next week to be probed, test flown, evaluated and programed into THEY'RE system. Things for THEM are smoking busy right now (space travel over many light years to attend 'E'fest and such), so look for it's launch to the modeling public by spring.

The marketing/advertising will be extensive, so you'll know when it arrives on planet earth. It's a must that it still be a contender in the 'Most Fun Per Buck Club', so your looking at a retail price of around $30 USD (??????).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:43 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Frank.... Thats what I should have done, but I only had enough Epp to make one wing panel on one bit of a sheet and the other had to be made on another bit....left over partial sheets from another build.

What the best way to add a dihedral brace an Epp Dart wing?
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 01, 2009, 09:54 AM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
482 Posts
Yes this a good model to kit,20" size i have found from 5 builds would be most popular for starters. i would consider a larger size for outdoors,possibly alittle heavier for windy conditions with correct power system .these two sizes would offer indoor and outdoor flying completely to all interests.everyone loves a great model for in and outdoors.
MYHELIGUY is offline Find More Posts by MYHELIGUY
Old Feb 01, 2009, 12:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Frank, I would be happy to test one at a reduced testing price. I got a 1200 bW, an open esc and rx as well as two 5g servos just waiting to go.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Feb 01, 2009, 03:25 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,808 Posts
Ive finished putting the lights on the Nutball ...NK2 ... A total of 34 lights which draw 0.6A when running
The lights are fixed on the top surface

pic 1 is the view from below
pic 2 is the view from the top
pic 3 is the normal day view

At night its only the lights that show, so how you arrange them makes your plane
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Feb 01, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:31 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Frank.... Thats what I should have done, but I only had enough Epp to make one wing panel on one bit of a sheet and the other had to be made on another bit....left over partial sheets from another build.

What the best way to add a dihedral brace an Epp Dart wing?
For the Dart wing I glued CF flats to the LE and TE, them added a music wire brace between them, attaching with carpet thread.

Can't seem to get the pix to work here, but you'll find it on page 163, post 2441 in the Dart thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:45 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,210 Posts
TW:

The design has been well tested here, but the kit cutter has a expert flier who wants to wring one out to see if it holds up to my claims and use it for a promotional video. It will also provide building techniques to be adapted to the CNC cutter and determine their actual costs in material.

They're far too busy to build one right now running 1 1/2 shifts, 7 days a week, so I'm providing it.

When things are bad, hobby sales pick up. Things are bad and only going to get worse. Hopefully, the timing will be right on, for something that can provid a few chuckles.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:48 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,210 Posts
Dave: Fly that outside at night and the UFO hot line will be lighting up too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2009, 02:51 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,808 Posts
goldguy..
.......check these kites out..watch the videos... well good...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post11388315

That would be good for a laugh...

I am just waiting for it to stop snowing and blowing .... winters

I will post video as soon as possible
Last edited by davereap; Feb 02, 2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:35 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,210 Posts
Winter, I'm sick of it. It's finally starting to rain here, which is our usual winter. Only got to fly outside once in months. Good thing we have indoor to ward off cabin fever.

Then there's the opposite extreme..........Australia!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:53 AM
The Hippy
Perth - Australia
Joined Nov 2008
233 Posts
Just built one of these puppies

But the wind is strong at the moment.
Opposite just a bit GG, hit 40 degrees celcuis here.

But yes, this summer the wind has been extreme it seems, makes for some interesting flights.

Judging from some of the videos, this can be flown in extremely small spaces, might get it up today
ddoth is offline Find More Posts by ddoth
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:18 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Speaking about winter.... we have had our first serious snow this year last night...

Which for the UK is a major problem as any Brit will tell you, as the countrys transport systems comes to a complete stand still... No trains or buses running today in the South of England....and planes grounded.

But hey whats the point investing in snow plows and road gritters... it only happens in the winter....
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:43 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,808 Posts
Flying in wind...all these years and ive just realised ...the COG makes all the difference..
On my nutballs first flight the COG was at a rear position ..the plane was sensitive to the elevator, very tight loops but flyable.. The wind however was giving me no end of problems. When you think of it if the plane is easily moved by the elevator then the wind will unbalance it easily as well..
ok I added 1.5oz lead to the nose.. The plane was then no problem, in even more windy conditions.
video in the wind

Nutball Night Kite NK2 (3 min 12 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Feb 04, 2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:44 AM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
You increased the wing loading as well wit the extra weight. Have you tried just moving the CG?
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333