Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:11 AM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Bromley, England
Joined Nov 2006
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale
Just finished my first Nutball. It'll be used to teach 11-year olds to fly at school after they have mastered the Parkzone Vapor. At the same time they will be building their own Nutballs.

I chose to make a 20" model using 3mm Depron and the rtf weight is 3.82 oz (108.3g) so it should fly nice and slowly in the gym. Test flight tomorrow and I'll try to keep you posted regarding the project with the students - hopefully they will know their lefts from the rights!!

Mike
Hi Mike,

Been running a school club for three years now. Found that modified X-Twins with the "Toolbox" Tx Mod so the throttle works on the steering stick and does not have to be held on to steer (which of course is unlike "real" RC) works really well to get the orientation issues out the way. I always insist they have some RC CAR racing experience first, too. Saves a lot of dings................
Bravedan is offline Find More Posts by Bravedan
Last edited by Bravedan; Jan 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:40 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,759 Posts
Heres the video of the Carbon Fibre nutball kite..the NK2..
It was very windy and bitterly cold.
I had moved the COG forward for this the second flight and it was much improved in its flight..No problems despite the higher winds, with a forward COG the wind has less effect than when ballanced to close to the over sensitive point(most rearward COG) ..and it still rolls well

Nutball Night Kite NK2 (3 min 12 sec)

I am pleased now I have to work on the night flying lights
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:20 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,759 Posts
Here another take on the CF nutball for Night Kites
Richard has made his differently. It is a simpler construction, held together with cotton and CA. His has a much stiffer feel to the airframe, even without the tip braces..
He has covered his with solartex and this has given a superior finish, no wrinkles, and the LED's illuminate it nicely and they also shine through well..
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondohead
gold- you gota show me some picks!!!
ive been thinking for several months now how to make a rc velocity for swooping. got it all figured out in my head for front riser turn/dives to build speed for landing and rear for breaks/flair. motor for climbing to alti. and wight.
real loaded canopys swoop best at 1.5-2.0 lbs per foot wing loading.
some calculations tell me that would be a heavy rc vehicle for the projected size of 3-3.5 sq ft
My last attempt was the third one I built and is now history. It landed in the salt chuck from a malfunction and by the time I retrieved it, got it home for a fresh water bath, it was too late for the radio gear. It was a Mickey Mouse plush toy with the innards removed and the flight pack installed inside. It was deployed with the drogue out in the breeze, which activated the main canopy opening from a container via a servo operating a pin as per 1:1 scale. It was lots of fun and a big hit with the kids at model airshows. I do have plans to give it another go this summer. I'll have to rethink it somewhat, because that was back in my glow days and I used a 82" span model as a jump ship. So, I'll not only have to build a new sky guy, but an airplane to get him some altitude. Of course, there's always base jumping and there's lots of mountains here to chuck him off, which happens to be the name of my very first...Chuck. Mickey Mouse was anything but and out shined "Chuck The Brave' by ten fold.

By the way, have you ever seem a 1:1 scale 5 cell ram air in action? Scary sh*t. I modelled mine after a 5 cell Astro Cloud, renamed the Astro Rock by guys that dared to use one, if that tells you anything. It was just easier to build....er, sew together.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:27 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,169 Posts
OK guys n' gals, I would appreciate your input on this one..........

Considering the simplicity and ease of construction of the NutBall, do you think there's a market for a kit? It would include all materials......precut foam, carbon fiber, wheels, control linkages and instructions. And, what size do you think would be the most popular?

If there's enough interest and positive input here.......it will be done.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
20-22" should be all right for any motor up to about 35g...

Maybe standardise on 20"WS for a BW
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:16 PM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
I think it would be great. My NutBall not countign airframe or reciever cast $30.80usd from Hobby City. AUW 3.3oz 13" diameter. Oopps, forgot to add micro deans connectors @$1.50. or the cost of a JST for the ESC. I'm sure I could build it for less than $40.

UH 10g outrunner
Turnigy 6a
Rhino 4602s
2X HD 3.7g servos<-- I would not sell those in a kit tough....
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:02 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,169 Posts
It seems everyone has a BW (or similiar) and 750/800 lipos, and there's more flying outdoor than in, so yes, about 20" sounds right.

I have been approached by an established kit manufacturer with a web store on this idea and am just testing the market here. They will only consider tooling up, if it's worth their effort. They're off to a few of the big electric events, hopefully a few NutBall fanatics will show up and they can get some input there as well.

So, keep the input, ideas and recommendations coming.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jan 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,808 Posts
I say go for it. Everyone who has seen my Nutball fly has wanted one for themselves but most of them are not really into scratch-building. If it came in a kit form, I'm sure they would jump at the opportunity to build one for themselves.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:16 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Are you looking indoor or outdoor to kit. I would think 10-16g motor on 16-17 diam would sell more kits if being marketed indoor to compete with vapors and such. I would also want the price to be comparable if I was a consumer to the bnf version. If out door, then of course the 20" and bw would also be great. In the end, you know your design the best, market what you like and fly the most.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:30 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,829 Posts
Well ideally size it to meet both types of flying - indoors and out. Maybe the risk is that a jack of all trades is master of none?

I've taken my little 8" NB to 2 indoor sessions and everyone likes it...but nobody has built their own yet
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:08 AM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
What type of motor batter combo do you use on the 8". Wats the weight? Sounds like a good size for a Vapor brick....
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:37 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
189 Posts
I was wonder what is the best way to create the dihedral ?
dean_85 is offline Find More Posts by dean_85
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:43 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Groove one side with marker but not all the way through, apply PU/H2O, prop the tips up and done. No cutting, aligning, glueing, slipping, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_85
I was wonder what is the best way to create the dihedral ?
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Dean, Gene bond taught to prop up your center section on books 2x4s what ever to get your tip height, cut a partial slit in the foam, weight down the edges and apply hot glue in the open groove. I have a razor blade with all but the tip taped for a depth guide. I now use a homemade jig to get the proper angle. Using a compass, I draw out the appropriate angle on paper. For a NB, it is 24 degrees. I copy it on to the jig. This same jig now has several stops for different plans. I Slit the foam, bend using the jig apply dabs of hg. Hold til set, then fill er in.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=235
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf