HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
David: Tape & Sprayed on Glue = Added Weight.

I use a good quality marker as found in craft supply stores. 'Prismacolor Premier' marker come in all colors, they're a bit expensive, but last four times as long a the Sharpie brand. The problem with markers is that it will constantly come off on your hands. Here's the solution for that. After it has dried for about one hour, I paint on a very very thin coat of clear urethane, thinned about 50% with water. You can buy it in the craft store where the acrylic paints can be found. It's usually labelled 'clear varnish". This method of trimming your foamies only adds a few grams, where paint and tape add much more.

Just weigh the before and after if you try both methods. One ounce saved is like adding 1 1/2 volts to your battery pack in performance and the best part, it's free horse power.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 27, 2008 at 03:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:43 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
YouTube Upload is down right now. Darn! It's pretty funny... I left the choice words and some extras in this time. I must have been wearing the hat a little low tonight, as the plane spent most of the time at or above the top of the frame. Oh well, it's better than nothing! (or it will be, when I get it uploaded)
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:15 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Caught a few minute break in the wind and flew mine tonight. Am very impressed (ok I impress easily!). Flies eally slow and stable. Turns and loops on a dime with 5 cents change.

Don't get how you guys make a RE control plane roll. When I hit full rudder it just kind of spins around into a spiral? Hints??

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Rd, here is a description from the dart thread awhile back on how to roll. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2424
Here is another http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62641

Here is telling you why it spirals etc... Mainly about vtail but discussion fairly well fits. http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/d...dervators.html

Got motor mounted and LG made. Time for bed. I guess the NB will have to wait. Went and played Cub scout den leader tonight. I think my priorities are right. Children first before I play. At least that has worked so far.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Mar 26, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:17 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
RdJay:

With the way the NB is set up, the tall rudder and the right amount of dihedral, it should roll almost around it's axis, but that's if the CG is correct. Also, it could be too much rudder throw, as you said "full rudder". Keep fine tuning. Mine rolls perfect, although better one way than the other because of the excessive dihedral and the prop torque, which means I should have given a little more right thrust to the motor mount.

Both my 17" and 20" NBs fly exactly the same way, so as designed, I know it works as advertised.

I noticed some have changed the rudder/vert. stab profile, so I'm interested to see if their flight reports differ from my findings.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:21 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Got the video uploaded:

NutBall Maiden (5 min 40 sec)
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:04 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Nice Gene . Looks like it's very stable in HiA. I wonder what those drivers thought seeing you talking to your plane with a block of foam and camera strapped to your head? .

BTW, I think the title of your Youtube vid might attract the wrong kind of people

Si.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:17 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Flying NB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond

Ouhhhhh, awwwww, ouch, yikes, ahhhhhh, oppps, darn trespassers on my flying site, ohhhhhhh, ouch ahhhhhhh that's better, Yipes, hummmmmm flips and dips n dives,
Well, you certainly put on a show..... Now, does it fly straight and level? and that camera, you gotta lower it, either that or lower yer cap....
Nice shots of houses, and no SNOW either.....
Thanks Gene that was worth a thousand words, and no cussin.....
Art.
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:22 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Thanks for the great demo, Gene.
My timing is real poor. My little parts are about to arrive just as indoor season is over.
Looks like you had zero wind there, especially between the house and the RV.
BTW, what are you using for the hubs of the foam wheels.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:25 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
There was a question as to what is root cord a while back. I don't see that it was ever answered. On this plane I have been counting the entire circle diameter as the root cord (including the cord of the elevator). Is this correct. root cord on a 17" is 17".
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:29 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
OK, now my first attempt, with the 20"er..... (Damn, no pictures, forgot the camera at home!)
I drove over to the local school yard, weather was almost perfect, sunny, low wind, but still cold... Got the stuff out of the car, set it on the snow, took off, and wow, all over the place... Then, the **** hit the fan.... A cop drove in, watched, then got out of his car, came over to me and said, "You know that's illegal to do this in the city?" To which I replied, I'll only be a minute or so.... So, he stood there, watched, as I tried to get it in the air again, but to no avail.... Seems my wee batteries didn't like the cold, and went POOP! After talking to the cop for a few minutes and explaining what I had going, and the story of the plane, he said, I think you better pack up, go home, charge again, and I'll meet you here later....... I too, want to see that thing fly.
Well, as luck would have it, kids came out of the woodwork and it was impossible to do any more, so, got home, checked my batteries and found them almost kaput.. (2-3.7Volt cells, 200mAh pack that I used on my Hangar Rat, tied together to give 7.4V, wasn't enough, so back to the new 7.4, heavier, 300ma... But, it got colder, windier, and I said, forget it......
All in all, it was an experience, that I don't like outdoors this time of year, so, will wait for milder weather this weekend, to do it, LEAGALLY, at our field..... By the way, I think I've got a new member for our flying club.... That cop was really interested....
So much for the first attempt.....
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:47 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Walt: Those wheels are EPE from some packing material. The hubs are some plastic sheet from some blister pack, with an aluminum bearing tube between them.

Art: Yes, it flies straight and level... somewhere in there is a spot where I zoomed down the street while cussing the motor

Yes, the weather got real nice yesterday. Wind dropped to almost nothing and temps were 50'ish... I was working on de-winterizing the RV, and decided to fly while the water tank was filling and draining to flush the antifreeze.

My vote? It's close, but I still love my Darts just a hair more. The little bit of extra work is no biggie (15 minutes?). The looks of the Darts is still enough better to justify the work, and the personality is slightly better (for me).

But, the dihedral tips does bring back up the point of what a Dart would be like if we tried it that way. May give it a shot next week.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:02 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Thanks, Gene.
Just what I was hoping for - an excuse to not build just yet while I finish up the programing and building of my home brew RPM meter. Come to think of it, I have used the excuse of waiting for your next promised report, before. It is nice to know that this old geezer can always count on you for an upcoming report. Dr. Kiwi's continued activities have got me very interested in motor and prop performance - hence the RPM meter.
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:24 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Gene:

You need a contol tower at that airport, or a traffic cop. It looked like you were having fun, we were to, watching you have fun. So, your thinking the Dart is still number one by a whisker. I think they are both close in flyability, but my NBs have the edge over my SDs, they roll, spin and do inverted better. To be fair, I'm talking about MY models and how they are built and set up, which differs with each builder. Thanks for all your input and effort, it's valued, because your the 'Formative Force in Foam'.

By the way, I just hit a really big pothole and am thinking I need an alignment. Where exactly do you live?

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 27, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:33 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Thanks for the tips and links on rolls guys. Like usual it's my limited skill level stopping me. That's one of the reasons this is so fun, always something new to learn and practice.

I may still be a bit tail heavy, will try adjusting cg. It's allot of fun for 50 cents of foam and a couple hours!

Someone (Gene I think) mentioned something about mixing rudder control in. I've been flying models with 4 channels for a few months and now find when flying the 3 channel that I try to turn with the left stick when my rudder is on the aileron channel (right stick). What do most guys do? Set up rudder on rudder channel or rudder on aileron channel or some mix so both sticks control the rudder?

Thanks, RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay