HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:13 PM
Bridgeport, WV
Joined Jun 2002
428 Posts
Max,
Very nice of you to offer but not necessary IF any other "blue wonder" shaft will do it...I ordered a shaft from "Heads up RC."

If the shaft doesn't work...I may take that from you.

thanks very much for your offer in any case...much appreciated.

bob
rpavich is offline Find More Posts by rpavich
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:50 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,037 Posts
BW shaft

Hi Bob
I think the shaft is 3mm and you may be able to use an old CD/DVD drive guide rail. I'm sure lots of us have a few lurking in the junk pile.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:06 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
My experience with 5&10G motors is that you have very little margin on AUW...

Which can take a bit off getting used to compared with using your standard size BW or Tower pro brushless motor.

My advice is weigh all the bits first before you build the plane... you may find that its too heavy before you cut any foam!
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:21 AM
Cypress Texas
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Dekan and Goldguy I think you are right the AUW is probably the answer as my motor battery and servos are 54 grams and then there is the foam and landing gear plus the hot glue.

Think I will try without the landing gear and if that proves the point will just put the 10 gram motor up in the parts bin it is not worth fighting the weight issue as I only have a few dollars in the motor

Peter
CaptPJB is offline Find More Posts by CaptPJB
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:00 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Had the same problem with my 17" with 10g motor and 2S, although I think my prop was a bit of a problem there too. Not quiet enough power to see it fly properly.

I've now got hold of a Rhino 260mah 2S and the recommended prop for my 10g, and am going to build one out of 3mm Cell foam at around 15". That'll fly for sure.
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
No retreat no surrender
USA, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 1999
657 Posts
Still waiting for good weather to maiden... ...Jim
newguy is offline Find More Posts by newguy
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:53 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,257 Posts
Me too. I'm gonna dust of a 10g and give it another try. Looks like a 15 incher in 3mm Depron is in order.

I'm going to fight myself all the way on this one. Damn, but it's hard to build light........."needs a little brace there, that wouldn't add much weight", or "that looks a little weak, think I'll add another dab of glue" and the big one, "that paint job sure looks pretty".
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Oct 20, 2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
Cypress Texas
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Might try that too as a good use for that 10g hopefully HC will get some Rhino 360's in soon.
To save me a long search can someone give me the wing tip size, dihedral in inches and the elevator for a 15" NB or the post #. Tried a search but no luck so far

Thanks
Peter
Last edited by CaptPJB; Oct 20, 2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:34 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,701 Posts
Peter,

Here are the rough distances, from measuring the 15" airframe:

Wing tip size = 3-9/16"
Dihedral = 1-5/8"
Elevator chord = 2-3/16"

I also increased the rudder area by about 1/2" all around. I'll bet none of these dimensions are all that critical.

Good luck,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:24 PM
Cypress Texas
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Dekan
You were correct all up weight for my 17 NB with 10 g motor was 140 grams of which the biggest culprit was the battery at 43 grams (500mah). (post 1501 &1503) HC has the 360 Rhino advertised at 23 grams (out of stock at present) but even so I would still be over the 100 gram target.
A 17 gram 2211-17 motor on 2s would be 9 oz thrust with 7x5 on 2s as opposed to 6oz on the 10 gram I had with the 6x3 prop.
Can anyone say if the 17 2211-17 is a good match for a 17 NB as a 24 gram BW would probably be too much.
Last edited by CaptPJB; Oct 20, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:29 PM
RC Flyer
Malverne NY
Joined Jul 2007
410 Posts
Hi Guys

I would like to relate my experiences with 10 gram motors. I have built 2 of the 17 inch Nutballs using them.

The first one was built with 6 MM EPP and for all intents and purposes it flys just like my 20 inch Blue Wonder job .I consider excellant results .Auw with a 350 =2 cell battery 3.4 Oz. see my specs and comment page 87 line 1303

My second plane was built to be very light .It was built with 4 MM epp and no extra bracing is needed. The AUW with a 2 cell 350 MAH is only 2.97 Oz. I intended to use it in indoors .I have flown it a lot in front of my house out in the street .It flys great and is a lot of fun .I also increased the rudder and elevator sizes .It will not fly with the same authority that the 6MM will but it is made for a differant requirement and doe's it very well .You can see the specs and my comments on page 92 line 1372.

Charlie
Patsy 2 Shoes is offline Find More Posts by Patsy 2 Shoes
Last edited by Patsy 2 Shoes; Oct 20, 2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:06 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Charlie,

Very nice. These are my kind of planes... LIGHT! And that dynamic rudder to reduce servo torque is a great idea. My Quicksilver MX full size has this and it works wonders for control. Now gotta try it on my NB.

-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsy 2 Shoes
Hi Guys

I would like to relate my experiences with 10 gram motors. I have built 2 of the 17 inch Nutballs using them.

The first one was built with 6 MM EPP and for all intents and purposes it flys just like my 20 inch Blue Wonder job .I consider excellant results .Auw with a 350 =2 cell battery 3.4 Oz. see my specs and comment page 87 line 1303

My second plane was built to be very light .It was built with 4 MM epp and no extra bracing is needed. The AUW with a 2 cell 350 MAH is only 2.97 Oz. I intended to use it in indoors .I have flown it a lot in front of my house out in the street .It flys great and is a lot of fun .I also increased the rudder and elevator sizes .It will not fly with the same authority that the 6MM will but it is made for a differant requirement and doe's it very well .You can see the specs and my comments on page 92 line 1372.

Charlie
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:50 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Brilliant design there Mr Gold
My first attempt at the 20"er
Maidened her today and havent laughed so hard in quite some time
Out of control (pilot) coming back at me and was all over the place
Too much fun
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:03 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,257 Posts
The NutBall = simple silly fun.

Your LG have arthritis??? Kinda looks like my knees.

So, what's the yellow color, paint or sign vinyle?
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:10 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The NutBall = simple silly fun.

Your LG have arthritis??? Kinda looks like my knees.

So, what's the yellow color, paint or sign vinyle?
lol yeah arthritis
If you would have seen the crazy s%#@ it was doing you wouldnt be razzin my crazy legs lol.
The yellow is Krylon Fusion, Blue on the bottom. I used the cheap 1/4" poster board foam from Michaels craft store and just painter er up. Had just as much fun buildin her as I did flyin. Broke up my surplus of SF props during the trimming mission (and silly funning) Tomorrow back to the LHS for another handfull and do it all again. Thanks a bunch for the great ideas. Appreciate it. F2F
Im laughing right now just thinking about it
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY