SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:02 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,399 Posts
Discussion
The NutBall, best damn RET foamy yet.....

The NutBall..........it's round and flies like crazy, hence the name. It's been built in many sizes, from 7" span versions with electric power to a 7' monster powered by a 120 4S glow, even a two foot 26 ounce cardboard sloper.

It can be setup for flying from mild to wild. It's a super simple inexpensive easy quick build, so repairs are a breeze. There's no nose or tail to break off and the wing can't fold. As a trainer with low control inputs it can fly slow, is super stable and has no bad habits. Great for just cruising around. Or, turn up the volume for advanced aerobatics and silly fun. It flies 'almost' as if it has ailerons.......rolls, loops, snaps n' spins, flies 'forced' inverted and can prop hang n' toque roll like a full blown 3D machine. Mount the battery with Velcro so you can adjust the C of G for the flying conditions. Adjust to 25% for those windy days and for training. Move it back for nutty aerobatics and super slow high alpha, perfect for indoor flying. Keep in mind that tail heavy will cause major tucking at speed. Set the dihedral between 12 and 18 degrees EACH tip for best effect, it's not too critical. The difference between more or less is in the rudder authority.

You'll find a plan on the next page that can be sized to give you the lowest possible wing loading for the weight of the flight equipment your using. LIGHT IS MIGHT.

Cutting the circle is as simple as drawing it on the foam using a string, a small nail and a pen. Cut along the line with a new sharp blade, turning the foam as you go. The hinges and dihedral joint are melted out of the EPP foam using a modified 30W solder iron. File the tip into a wedge, use a wheel collar as a depth gauge and run it along a steel ruler. CF flats are installed across the wing in two locations into melted out slots with another modded tip. Other methods and glues can be use according to the foam your using. Add a bottom spine and a foam box for attaching the motor mount. The landing gear is a wire 'V' lashed to the motor mount with carpet thread n' CA glue.

If you need more information on recommended sizes based on the electronics you have, just use the search feature.

CAUTION: Never attempt the maiden voyage at high throttle settings. This will control any unwanted torque effect and/or pitch until you get it trimmed and gain confidence in how it flies.

Use this plan to build any size.......... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=16

Enjoy and have fun, silly fun that is .
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 01, 2013 at 04:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:27 AM
Brit in Bahrain
Bahrain
Joined Mar 2004
610 Posts
Frank,

Thanks for the pictures etc. That is one neat build - love the idea of the bracing wires underneath the EPP (why didn't I think of that ?).

You were right about the Smart Dart XS and I have no doubt you are right about the Nutball - thanks.....Now, where is that scalpel?

Nigel
Nigelp is offline Find More Posts by Nigelp
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:34 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
You Beauty Frank. I can stop dribbling now and finish my NutBall. I, like everybody have been really looking forward to it. Its now here.

Thanks

B x
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:45 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,399 Posts
Nigel: I just use very thin wire, run it through a wire eye in the spline, cut slits, insert the wire, adjust until flat and then attack it with the hot melt. I tried dental floss, but it didn't work. Got this idea from floppy 6mm EPP PBFs. With the thicker EPP I've had no proplems with warps.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:00 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
I don't really understand the method for inserting wire as bracing. Is it the same as CF, only with thin pushrod wire (.032/.064)? Do you cut a small slit in the EPP and then the wire fits snuggly into it?

I've been flying your dart longer than any of my other models mostly because I never crash it, but it's also just so much fun. It's my "old reliable." When my EPP comes from rcfoam (as well as some Depron!) this will be the first thing I build out of EPP - from scratch, that is. I have a flightflex yak in works

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:09 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,399 Posts
Yup, I just used thin music wire, as in pushrod material, it's all I had and my patience was running low. I ran the wire up through a long slits, at the same angle. After I adjusted and glued it, I then just clipped off the excessive.

If you like your Dart, you'll love the NutBall, it flys better and you can do more with it, it's way easier to build and I think kinda pretty too, pretty simple.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:13 AM
Team LRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,784 Posts
Looks right up my PBF allie!!!

Great job! All I need now is some more foam
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:37 AM
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Kinda a newby to Darting, Just finished # 6! So I need a little help. I "discovered "Hobby City and am now Platimum. Cant beat em. The 3.7 servos they sell are EM.
In your list you used EU 3.7 servos. Are these the same or did you find a better source than HC?
Thanks for the help. Just got a batch of .9 hot cut EPP. Time to build a round one.
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:24 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Good job...looks right Gold... even Gpw should be happy....after all it is Round.

We might need a plan......for the guys who like to hold something in their other hand while building!

I have just ordered another 10grm motor so.....
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:43 AM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
347 Posts
So 10g United Hobby motor for the 16" and 24g blue for the 20"? Sounds good to me, I will break out the chalkboard compass and get to work. Don't think Drawings are necessary for this one.

easier and better than the dart......... sounds like blasphemy to me.

Thanks Gold
teched88 is offline Find More Posts by teched88
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:59 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2002
66 Posts
I have my EPP ready to cut!
How are you doing the control horns? (close up pic would be great)
Flywellnz is offline Find More Posts by Flywellnz
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:03 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Nice one Frank! Can't beat a quick, easy build...looks good too.

Now we just need Gene to post his plans and Box to put on the MelonCam™ and grab us a video

Congrats on another winner,

Si.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:04 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,203 Posts
Cool!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:32 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
What? A round (toit) NutBall Dart????
Darn nice looking PBF Frank, wonder if I could modify my Rountoit, to resemble this??
Just checked my EPP stock, all I got left is 2 sheets of 5.5mm... That's gonna have to do it.... (Must get another order off to supplier, I can see many roundies in the future.)
It is a beauty to behold Frank, and thanks for another successful flyer!
Oh ya, and I'll allow this for the Postal... Get those flights in before the 31st!
Now, like Nigelp, where the heck is my knife?
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:50 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Frank, I love the Dart and I thought the R1 was even better. Can't wait to try your NB. I love your innovation on the fuse bracing and the v-grove construction technique. The latter sounds like something I'll want to practice before giving it a try on a larger piece of epp. Thanks! Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt