HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:05 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Discussion
FOD: don't let it happen to you!

It stands to reason that anything getting into your intakes and striking a plastic fan blade traveling at thousands of RPMS would be bad... so it wasn't much of a surprise when I took a look at the fan of my HL F-18 Pink Viper after half a dozen take-offs from a cinder/gravel track at the local highschool and found some damage.

Apparently the front wheel kicks up small pieces of gravel and the fan sucks them up like Daniel Plainview drinks milkshakes from across the room.

Nothing is broken yet but the leading edges of the fan blades are slightly pitted....any guesses as to what this is doing to performance? The plane still flies fine...but that can't be helping.

My point is, that when your propulsion system is behind your front landing gear, you have to be really careful about what might get kicked up.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I had the intake on my F-22 suck up a small piece of foam the size of a nickle (the type used in a TX case) during a test bench run up... needless to say all 6 blades came out the exhaust and flew across the garage.

I ROG from a dirt and gravel parking lot...so I know the feeling and keep a close eye on my blades.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:51 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
would mesh screens installed, have a significant decrease in performance?
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
not that it matter now that i totalled the f-18 .........ahhhhhh......
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:54 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkn951
not that it matter now that i totalled the f-18 .........ahhhhhh......

Ugh... sorry to hear that. Can you salvage the electronics/motor at least?

Yeah, I would guess that mesh screens (fine enough to help) would noticably decrease the performance...if nothing else, they would introduce turbulence that mess things up. Its a good thought though.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:23 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
smokescreen38, well al electronics are salvageable and in good working order. though i am really accumulating alot of electronics.
what would be good scratch built plane candidate, in the jet family.....?
TIA
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:37 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Feb 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
would mesh screens installed, have a significant decrease in performance?
That became pretty much a thread at one time. The answer I remember is that they're pretty restrictive.

As for sucking stuff in fans, I've done it several times too. What happens to the fan is obvious, but what amazed me is what the fan did to the parts that went through it, such as cutting through metal.

There's a lotta money in the replacement fan rotor business, GWS probably being at the top of it. Kinda like Polaroid cameras, where they should have just gave you the camera for free.

Bill
OnVacation is offline Find More Posts by OnVacation
Last edited by OnVacation; Mar 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Can anyone reccomend a good fan that will fit on the stock F-18 motor?

Are there any performance gains to be had with a different part from the stock one?

Quote:
smokescreen38, well al electronics are salvageable and in good working order. though i am really accumulating alot of electronics.
what would be good scratch built plane candidate, in the jet family.....?
TIA
I know the feeling!
When the day comes that I have an extra fan laying around, I'll probably scratch build something vaguely resembling the Korean War era jet fighters where the fan housing basically is the fuselage... simple and cool looking.

Why don't you take a try at building an F-86?