HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:11 PM
USA, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jun 2004
58 Posts
Discussion
New full scale HP-24 homebuilt

I've been following this project for a year , this guy ( Bob Kuykendall )
is pretty amazing ,he resides in N. Ca. He has taken over where Dick Scheder left of with the HP-series sailplanes.

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/
jhiggins is offline Find More Posts by jhiggins
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:50 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,548 Posts
it's been one hell of a ride, should be a nice ship unfortunatley it knid of looks like all the others....
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:54 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,657 Posts
text
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Last edited by DT56; Apr 01, 2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:45 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181
it's been one hell of a ride, should be a nice ship unfortunatley it knid of looks like all the others....
The closer we get to an optimum design the more these things are going to look like each other.

In a way, that's why, for modeling, I like some of the older designs where just getting something built with the materials available was the problem that had to be solved. Performance, comfort and safety are the criteria for full sized soaring, looks and character are what's important in a model.

(Is that why my only scale job so far is the ASW 28-18? No, I got that because it was a beautiful ARF and I don't really have the room to build something that large.)

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:08 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Sep 2004
999 Posts
I believe the intent was to have it look like all the others. Odd-ball ships like the Diana 2 are a hard sell - regardless of the superior performance they look funny acc. to the establishment, which is a pretty conservative crowd.

I'd venture to say with the euro doing what it is to the dollar, and if he can hold the $17-18k entry price point, and if there are no "suprises" in the test phase, he will have more orders than he will care to produce. Not since the American Spririt has such a craft been made available to homebuilders. I applaud his efforts.

http://www.sac.ca/index2.php?option=...=316&Itemid=88

/Adam
sekollera is offline Find More Posts by sekollera
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:10 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,597 Posts
"We are specifically designing the HP-24 forward fuselage and cockpit for more upright seating, with better ergonomics and visibility than the HP-18. We believe that better comfort and reduced fatigue will result in a better soaring experience, and improved overall performance by the pilot. "

It's hard to imagine better visibility and comfort than what the HP-18 provided...how much easier does it get than flying in a supine position with your flying arm on a padded arm rest with a side stick? This 24 must be some glider!

...bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,548 Posts
I hear where your coming from. After a long master pattern build I will be finally moulding my 1/3rd SB 13, I only hope it flies ok, but at least I'll know which is my model in the sky.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:59 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,293 Posts
I once attended a SHA Sailplane Homebuilders Assoc seminar in Bryan OH at Dick S's hangers. Jim Marske flew his Monarch via Auto Tow several times.
Dick had lots of great stories to tell. Too bad he is gone now.

Is this guy going to make model Kits someday ?
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay