HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:16 PM
The Great White
USA, CA, El Cajon
Joined Feb 2005
61 Posts
Contest
USA FAI/CIAM World Air Games 2009 Selection Contest

The Torrey Pines Gulls is honored to have been awarded the sanction to conduct the United States National FAI World Air Games 2009 Selection Contest. This contest, which will be held June 6th (Friday, the day before the IHLGF) at the Torrey Pines Gulls Poway Flight Center, will determine the two pilots that will have the opportunity to represent the United States at the FAI World Air Games 2009 to be held in Turin, Italy, June 7-13, 2009.

The World Air Games can be clearly defined as One Week – Ten Sports – Unlimited Adrenaline! The World Air Games is the biggest gathering of air sports in the world and during one week brings together, in one location, World Champions and other top competitors in ten different air sport disciplines from more than twenty nations.

One of the disciplines that will be featured at the World Air Games 2009 will be Hand Thrown Gliders or, as we know them, Hand Launched Gliders. For complete details on the HTG event, including rules and tasks go to:
http://www.worldairgames.org/2009/sp.../aeromodelling

There are only two tasks: “Next to Last and Last Flight” and “All-Up”. There are two qualifying rounds one for each task. The top scorers (up to 24) from qualifying rounds will then go into a semi-final round. From this point forward, the task is “All-Up” with the first pilot down receiving a zero. There will be three launches with a three minute max. The top ten pilots will then go into the finals. Each launch in the finals reduces the field by one until there are only two. These two will be the USA representatives to the World Air Games. One last launch will determine the USA Champion.

There will be no entry fee for the contest; however you must register for the event. Since this contest is only sanctioned as a "national" contest, only US citizens will be eligible for the two nominations. More details will be available on the TPG FAI World Air Games 2009 website, which we are in the process of finalizing. It should be complete in a couple of days. Stay tuned.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS CONTEST DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE F3K WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS US TEAM SELECTION
scharck is offline Find More Posts by scharck
Last edited by scharck; Mar 19, 2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Title to be all caps
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:35 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Interesting
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:57 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
I'm in, sounds fun.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:27 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,192 Posts
why does it always have to be the 'next to last and last' task????!!!!
man....

I'M IN!
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,661 Posts
Do the winners get airfare and accommodations paid for? I'd hate to win and then not be able to afford the trip $$.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,049 Posts
AMA is only providing logistical support. If you win, and want to attend, you're on your own....
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:51 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
No, but you can always fund raise for the money. Its allot of work to fundraise, so either way you earn your way there.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:08 AM
The Great White
USA, CA, El Cajon
Joined Feb 2005
61 Posts
I just received the following information from Guy Revel, the CIAM's WAG F6D (Hand Thrown Gliders) coordinator:

If I didn't tell you, better to know that there are no entry fees at WAG, no accommodation costs, everything from the point of arrival in Italy is paid by the organizers,

At WAG pilots will fly in front of spectators and TV while two giant video boards will allow the spectators on the 4,500 seats grandstands to watch details of the action. Good to raise the ego, but good also for the pilots' sponsors. I have no doubt that, with the competition run in front of such a large audience, it should be easy to raise funds and cover the travel costs. Bringing back a WAG Champion title would be a good bonus !
scharck is offline Find More Posts by scharck
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:17 AM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
Ron,

Is this a clever way to break planes and get us tired before the IHLGF? I can just see you on the sidelines smiling as the linguine armed competitors leave the field

Sounds fun, I'm in!

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
dark-side of the slope
Verona Italy
Joined Jul 2005
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharck
will determine the two pilots that will have the opportunity to represent the United States
how do you know it's two?
I know it's 16 pilots from all over the world. Minimal 1 per Continent...but there is no number per nation.

Once they have all the result they'll select the 16 contestants...

In theory if all USA pilots are after 1 canadian placed 16th...there will be no USA pilots...
twentynine is offline Find More Posts by twentynine
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:46 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,189 Posts
My understanding is the same, the top pilot from each continent gets to go, after that people are invited depending on their points in the world league (which is a league based on your top two scores)

Scores from a competition are dependent on your placing AND the number of people entered in the competition... So if you can bring along all of your family and let them chuck-glide a model for a couple of feet in the comp... you get more points

A rough break-down of the scoring is here : - (note the winner gets DOUBLE the points of the 2nd place pilot) http://barcs.co.uk/SoaringClasses/Wo...1/Default.aspx (I might have made a mistake in these calculations)

The rules are a bit mickey-mouse, and I keep seeing claims that it is more tactical than F3K (which it plainly isn't), but a free stay in Turin makes it worth a go

I thought there would be approx 32 competitors invited, but again I might be mistaken
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Mar 19, 2008, 01:02 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,513 Posts
I have attached a document showing the F6D rules. I don't know if it is the latest or most up to date version. I found it through a link on the UK F3K forum. I could not find any such list of rules at Ron Scharck's link or on the FAI/CIAM web site. If anyone knows if this is a current rules list or has a link to a version that is known to be current, please let us all know. The sections in red ink apear to be rule revisions that change an earlier version of the rules.

It is not clear to me whether Ron Scharck's rules that he summarizes in post #1 are meant to be a summary of the actual F6D rules or if they are only meant to be the rules for this particular F6D team selection contest. Certainly the rules that he lists in post #1 are different from the rules in the attached document.

Here is my summary of F6D rules based on the attached document:

Qualifying rounds are flown, initially with all pilots entered. There may be one or several rounds flown at the CD's discretion. The CD also decides how many pilots proceed to each subsequent round (any percentage allowed, up to 100%). Tasks for qualifying rounds are either "All Up" (three throws, 3 minute max) or "last Flight" (5 minute max, 7 minute working time).

Up to the best 24 pilots from the qualifying rounds proceed to the semi finals. The "All Up" (three throws, 3 minute max) task is used in the single semi final round (a round typically has multiple flight groups).

Precision duration timing is used in the qualifying and semi final rounds. You recieve one point per full second flown up to the max time and the score is reduced one point per each second flown beyond the max time.

The best 8 pilots proceed to the finals. The task for the finals is a different "All Up" task. This time pilot/pilots are eliminated after each throw. On each throw, any pilot that scores zero is eliminated. A zero is awarded for launching either before or after the three second launch signal, landing out of bounds, or landing first. If all pilots fly the full three minutes then the pilot landing last is awarded the zero. This brings back the precision duration element of the scoring. There is only a max time or a precision duration element when all remaining pilots fly for a full three minutes.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Mar 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,513 Posts
Thanks Richard for that link. I am going to try and research the qualification rules after I take a lunch break. My brain is fried after an hour or two of studying the F6D contest rules (I sure I hope I studied the most current version )

According to Richard, we should think about setting up a second large F6D qualifier contest in the US (Friday before Polecat comes to mind). I think I stumbled across a list of worldwide F6D qualifiers during my searches for current F6D rules. I don't recall any canadian contests yet. I think it is safe to assume that all North American continent F6D events will be in either USA or Canada.

One unfortunate thing is that the World Air Games dates conflict with the IHLGF dates in 2009
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Mar 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharck

There are only two tasks: “Next to Last and Last Flight” and “All-Up”. There are two qualifying rounds one for each task. The top scorers (up to 24) from qualifying rounds will then go into a semi-final round. From this point forward, the task is “All-Up” with the first pilot down receiving a zero. There will be three launches with a three minute max. The top ten pilots will then go into the finals. Each launch in the finals reduces the field by one until there are only two. These two will be the USA representatives to the World Air Games. One last launch will determine the USA Champion.

There will be no entry fee for the contest; however you must register for the event. Since this contest is only sanctioned as a "national" contest, only US citizens will be eligible for the two nominations. More details will be available on the TPG FAI World Air Games 2009 website, which we are in the process of finalizing. It should be complete in a couple of days. Stay tuned.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS CONTEST DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE F3K WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS US TEAM SELECTION

Lets start from the beginning, the North American continent is composed of three nations

1. Canada
2. United States of America
3. Mexico

http://www.belairmodels.be/documents...air-games-2009

"Selection will be made by continent (Africa, North America, South America, Asia, Europe & Oceania) with an equal number of places reserved for each continent, the remaining places being decided on a Worldwide basis according to points gained by competitors at selection competitions."

I am so perplex by some of the ethnocentristic comments posted...
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb
Lets start from the beginning, the North American continent is composed of three nations

1. Canada
2. United States of America
3. Mexico

http://www.belairmodels.be/documents...air-games-2009
Actually the North American continent goes down to Panama

FAI guy
FAI_guy is offline Find More Posts by FAI_guy