HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Discussion
Backing Obama may be impossible (for me) now.

Searching for his stance on the 2nd amendment and found,

Quote:
Q: How would you address gun violence that continues to be the #1 cause of death among African-American men?
A: You know, when the massacre happened at Virginia Tech, I think all of us were grief stricken and shocked by the carnage. But in this year alone, in Chicago, we've had 34 Chicago public school students gunned down and killed. And for the most part, there has been silence. We know what to do. We've got to enforce the gun laws that are on the books. We've got to make sure that unscrupulous gun dealers aren't loading up vans and dumping guns in our communities, because we know they're not made in our communities. There aren't any gun manufacturers here, right here in the middle of Detroit. But what we also have to do is to make sure that we change our politics so that we care just as much about those 30-some children in Chicago who've been shot as we do the children in Virginia Tech. That's a mindset that we have to have in the White House and we don't have it right now.

Source: 2007 NAACP Presidential Primary Forum Jul 12, 2007

Quote:
I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manfuacturer's lobby. But I also believe that when a gangbanger shoots indiscriminately into a crowd because he feels someone disrespected him, we have a problem of morality. Not only do we need to punish that man for his crime, but we need to acknowledge that there's a hole in his heart, one that government programs alone may not be able to repair.
Source: The Audacity of Hope, by Barack Obama, p.215 Oct 1, 2006
Sounds OK.

Quote:
Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
-Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
-Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
-Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998
All semi-autos?

Obama voted NO on,
Quote:
A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others. Voting YES would:
-Exempt lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime
-Exempt lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect
-Call for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought
-Prohibit the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations
-Require all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices
Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005

I have yet to see anyone, press or otherwise, challenge him to explain his stance against legal gun ownership.

It seems he wants to blame the guns, and not the perpitrators.
metalbuggy is offline Find More Posts by metalbuggy
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:50 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
If you want to have unrestricted access to all the guns you desire, don't vote Democratic, vote Republican.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
If you want to have unrestricted access to all the guns you desire, don't vote Democratic, vote Republican.
I don't want "to have unrestricted access to all the guns I desire".

I'm not pushing for legalizing fully-auto. I just don't want to see the criminalization of all guns.

I'm just looking for a little constitutional right to own a handgun, rifle, or shotgun. Whatever I see fit.

It seems Obama doesn't see it my way.

Quote:
In 1999, Obama proposed to make it a felony for the gun owner if a firearm stolen from his residence and used in a crime was not “securely stored” — effectively negating the homeowner’s right to self-defense.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:04 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Those who think the ongoing mindless slaughter of Americans by gun violence is a swell thing should not vote Democratic.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
The odds that a president, whether Obama or Clinton or McCain, will actively push for further gun control laws are pretty insignificant. The Pres is an executive rather than a legislative power.

Not even getting into the Constitutionality issues, it is unlikely that any President will spend political capital on such a divisive issue.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Those who think the ongoing mindless slaughter of Americans by gun violence is a swell thing should not vote Democratic.
The Dems would rather it be an ongoing mindless slaughter of Americans by ball bats?

Guns don't commit crimes, people do.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
OK. Don't vote Democratic of you don't want to see the criminalization of all guns. Vote Republican.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:09 PM
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
OK. Don't vote Democratic of you don't want to see the criminalization of all guns. Vote Republican.
Thanks.
Is that your permission?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:11 PM
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Not even getting into the Constitutionality issues, it is unlikely that any President will spend political capital on such a divisive issue.

I hope you are right about that.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Those who believe in the constitution and personal responsibility should not vote Democratic.

(in reality both parties are just as bad on both issues, but sometimes you need to show people how stupid their statements are by using the same faulty logic)
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbuggy
It seems Obama doesn't see it my way.
why should anyone care ? obviously you should vote GOP...after all it is
the GOP that has solved all our ills through the diligent application of
conservative principles all these years. Look around you and reward the
GOP for the "hard work" it did to improve your state. Don't be stingy
with your vote, throw the straight GOP lever come November and keep
enjoying the greatness and prosperity GOPers have produced for our country.
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:19 PM
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964
why should anyone care ? obviously you should vote GOP...after all it is
the GOP that has solved all our ills through the diligent application of
conservative principles all these years. Look around you and reward the
GOP for the "hard work" it did to improve your state. Don't be stingy
with your vote, throw the straight GOP lever come November and keep
enjoying the greatness and prosperity GOPers have produced for our country.

Well, I was in Obama's camp.

The GOP has been hi-jacked, and doesn't represent my more consevative views anymore.

Obama seemed to be drinking a different flavor of Kool-aid than most of the Dem party. So I give him a closer look.

I guess I haven't a horse in the race.

And talk about testy libs. I bring up a valid stance on a very divisive issue, and our resident libs say they don't need my vote, and show animosity at my relaying of Obama's stance on gun control.

I guess you guys didn't want it brought up yet. Or at all for that matter.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbuggy
The Dems would rather it be an ongoing mindless slaughter of Americans by ball bats?

Guns don't commit crimes, people do.

Where you gonna hide that baseball bat. I guess thats where that ghetto walk came from. The guy that could only afford a bat.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2
Where you gonna hide that baseball bat. I guess thats where that ghetto walk came from. The guy that could only afford a bat.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:29 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
"Bring it on, Dems": http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS...rol/index.html

And by the way, as you watch the Chinese slaughter Tibetans, note that the Chinese are among those in the history of the world who have realized that gun control "works".
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight