HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2003, 01:26 AM
Menifee, CA
Joined Sep 2001
240 Posts
And to think this started as a block of foam…

Well after a good two months of waiting and waiting and waiting I finally have my CNC foam wing cutter up and running. I found a place in San Diego that sell eps foam for dirt cheep. I started with the idea that I would use the eps foam for test cuts because is cheep. Well any way I cut the e205 airfoil. After a ton of mistakes and a trash can full of foam I think I have the hang of this CNC machine now. Let me know what you all think. I think I will have a fuse of this wing within the next few days and I just might be able to fly it by Sunday if all goes well.

Steve
spreslar is offline Find More Posts by spreslar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2003, 01:27 AM
Menifee, CA
Joined Sep 2001
240 Posts
pic 2

Old Jan 07, 2003, 01:28 AM
Menifee, CA
Joined Sep 2001
240 Posts
pic 3

Old Jan 07, 2003, 02:02 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,901 Posts
Cool, looks like a gentle lady wing. What did you get as a weight on this?
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Jan 07, 2003, 02:41 AM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
Do you have pics of the machine in operation, and pics of the wing panels before joining them? What were the errors that occured which created the trash can full of scrap?
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jan 07, 2003, 10:40 AM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
I cut all my own wings and Love it...it can make flying much more relaxed because if you destroy a plane...just cut another!

Nice job very clean and now you can make a flying wing for combat and a speed machine, ect.... I have made nearly 30 planes in a year and a half and I am still cutting!

Nice job.
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old Jan 07, 2003, 11:40 AM
Menifee, CA
Joined Sep 2001
240 Posts
5.4oz

The wing came in at 5.4oz covered. Its 48 inches from tip to tip. Brian, some of the mistakes that I made were just not knowing were on the table to place the foam. You know like if I move the blank from right to left on the X axes. I also had an issue with wire temp. Another issue I has was I had the stepper motors set to ˝ step  not good.. I will be cutting another wing same size for a friend of mine and I will take some pictures of the cutter in operation. I will also be sure to get some photos of the wing before I assemble it.

Steve
Old Jan 07, 2003, 12:23 PM
Menifee, CA
Joined Sep 2001
240 Posts
on the fence

Hey real quick. I just started this RC hobby about two years ago. I have only owned two planes. That is an XR from combatwings.com and a Wingo from Hobby-Lobby.com. That is the extent of my building. To tell you the truth I would say that I have only been doing this for about a year. I took a year off. Well anyway I got excited when I saw that I could cut my own wings and what not. I was going to go with a feather cutter but I was not into the template thing. Too much work. So, any of you out there that are on the fence about CNC cutting, build one you will love it. I have only cut a few wings and I am already thinking of how I can redesign the table to work better.

Steven
Old Jan 07, 2003, 12:58 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
I think you need to practice cutting some wings with the following specs:

22" wing panel
8 1/2" root chord
4 1/4 tip chord
rg-14 airfoil, 7 1/2 %

Cut about a half dozen sets, mail them to me, and I'll build some planes around them. I will be sure to report here on the quality of your cores.
Old Jan 07, 2003, 01:24 PM
Menifee, CA
Joined Sep 2001
240 Posts
Brian...

Cool deal send me your address and I will start working on those for you. Should have them in the mail by Sat..

Steve
Old Jan 07, 2003, 02:15 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
Hey bro, I was just kidding. I didn't really expect you to do it.

If you are serious about wanting to try cutting those cores, please do go ahead.

I will be more than happy to send you a few bucks to cover your costs and time. I usually cut my own cores, but making the templates, setting up the cutter, etc is a pain.

I am sure there are other scratch builders who read this forum who would be willing to pay you for good foam cores.
Old Jan 07, 2003, 05:56 PM
Menifee, CA
Joined Sep 2001
240 Posts
Hey Brian

Hey Brian

I have the RG 14 airfoil but it does not say 71/2 percent. Is that an issue. And if any of you foam cutters have that dat file could you please send it on over?

Thanks

Steven
Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:07 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Don't believe him Brian!!!

He promised me a set of MH45 cores last week, and still nothing.

He is a no good punk.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:26 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
I use a program called profile to modify airfoils, and to print my templates for foam cutting. The program reads .dat files, unfortunately it saves the modified airfoils in a proprietory format, and I have not been able to extract a .dat file from the modified files.

I'll keep trying.

SD-flyer... Keep being such a sweetheart and your cores could be a very loooong time coming!
Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:51 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Brian,
You can export the modified airfoils to .dxf format. I think you might need another tool to suck up the .dxf and spit it back out as .dat.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron