SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2003, 01:34 AM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Inside Story - January 2003

Inside Story - January 2003

By Graham Stabler

Graham Stabler opens his new column, which will cover one of the "smallest" segments of our hobby, indoor flyers. In this introductory issue is a detail discussion about magnetic actuators and a mini-article by Ralph Bradley about mounting components, such as lithium batteries, with magnets. new
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2003, 01:28 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,438 Posts
Graham,

Congratulations on an excellent start to what should prove to be a great addition to both the E-Zone and the world of indoor micro-flight!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jan 08, 2003, 05:59 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Thanks Greg,

I hope there is much more to come, there is a lot of interesting stuff happening on the boards so I hope we can show some of it to the world.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Jan 08, 2003, 08:00 AM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
Very nice Graham! But hey, thats your normal M.O.

Greg
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc
Old Jan 08, 2003, 01:50 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Timely article

Great article. I just this week started trying to wind my own coils. I like the way you gathered together so much and distilled it. Searching the Zone and wading through many posts works, but the article was much nicer and cleaner.

Thanks,

John
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Jan 08, 2003, 03:58 PM
S55
Beaverton, OR, USA
Joined Feb 2001
773 Posts
This certainly was one of the best construction articles I have ever seen. Outstanding picture support.
Now of course I canít wait for some ideas about the electronics needed to drive these actuators. There might be some specialized receivers, but what I am looking for is circuits that can make use of the standard receiver.
Any plans to cover the electronics?

Thank you,
S55
S55 is offline Find More Posts by S55
Old Jan 09, 2003, 10:26 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Thanks again for the comments guys.

S55, if you fancy DIY check out Aeronut Andy's page:

http://www.gaspode.co.uk/planes/radio/radio.htm

It includes PIC code and info to convert a std radio for actuator drive.

I think it would be nice to do an article including a simple plan and all the details of doing the mod.

Graham
Old Jan 09, 2003, 11:35 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
S55,

If you don't want to build it yourself check Bob Selmans stuff. He has a DPC board to drive two actuators from a digital reciever like the GWS R4p. Cost is $25 and weight is 1.25 grams, and you couldn't find a nicer guy to deal with.

Dave wulff
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jan 09, 2003, 04:16 PM
S55
Beaverton, OR, USA
Joined Feb 2001
773 Posts
"circuits that can make use of the standard receiver"

When I said standard receiver I did not mean digital. I meant the old style analog part.
I am a do-it-yourself-er, but have no digital/software expertise. My field is analog.
Thank you,
S55
Old Jan 09, 2003, 04:31 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Hey

By standard we mean the ol' GWS Pico......that is analogue innit? (and muchos cheap)

Good stuff

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Jan 09, 2003, 05:16 PM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Sorry, should have left the "digital" part out. The GWS R4p is just your basic reciever, about $30 and without case weighs under 5 grams. You will need an FM transmitter, but that goes for anything made in recent history. It dosen't get any cheaper or simpler than this.
Dave Wulff
Old Jan 10, 2003, 08:18 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
S55, if you uses Andy's pic code you don't need any digital knowledge. Build a simple programmer, download the code, program the chip and solder it in.

If you really want to do it yourself then you need to look at the signal comming from the RX (digital) and convert that into a bi-directional PWM signal or an analogue equivalent. If you can find a search for an analogue speed control you are half way their, if you find one for a boat/car speed control then that is all you need. But it will be heavier than just a PIC.

Graham
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:15 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,053 Posts
Graham, another 'well done' for a great column, I'm even seriously considering an RFFS setup now!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:19 AM
S55
Beaverton, OR, USA
Joined Feb 2001
773 Posts
DOW, thanks,
I visited Bobís website and found it. Now I see it works for an analog receiver, what's digital is just the interface, so it needs the micro controller and I lack the programming skills. I think it can be done around some Op Amps, but then you probably need at least 5V battery (two Li Polyís) because the common LM358 (dual opamp) does not swing rail to rail.

S55
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:14 PM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
S55,

I refer to anything with a chip on it as digital, but I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous. I thought when the RFFS came out there would be no demand for Bob's DPC, until recently when Gordon pointed to a niche between the RFFS and regular micro servos. There is alot of interest in the Guillows line as they are well known and widely available. It's no secert that the wood is poor (heavy) and design-wise they are way over built. I think this is a good opportunity to make these planes viable flyers at a reasonable weight and cost.

Dave Wulff