Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 17, 2008, 06:16 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Discussion
Nitro Models 50cc 2.2m Yak

Just got one of these and the elevator servo installation has got me stumped. The very short instructions infer each elevator servo goes in the stabiliser but there are nothing precut to accept them. Otherwise it seems a very good kit for the money.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/new50nimogis.html
DominicM is online now Find More Posts by DominicM
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:04 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
I have the 69 " version which has an unusual design. One servo for the elevator and there is a carbon fiber rod that goes thru the fuse into each elevator half so you can get away with only using 1 servo. Yours should have 2 do to the size, maybe they mount in the fuse.
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:23 PM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Hi Ditchit: Theres A Very Detailed Build Thread Here On RC Groups Of The Nitroplanes 50CC Yak-54. Post #10 Shows Very Detailed Pictures Of The Servos Mounted In the Stabs. www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773195

My Nitroplanes 50CC Yak-54 Should Arrive Tomorrow!

Happy Flying: JP
Yardbee is online now Find More Posts by Yardbee
Last edited by Yardbee; Mar 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:21 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Thanks Yardbee. Did see that thread but my stabs are different. They are not hollow and so do not accomodate the servos. There are no holes in the side of the fuselage that are of a standard servo size so I'm still at a loss as to where they go. I'll post picture of the stabs tonite. Maybe I've been sent 120 size stabs but seems unlikely.

EDIT: Just been advised by manufacturer that the design has changed. Has not told me reason why yet. Servos are now supposed to be installed in fuselage contrary to the printed instructions. Problem is that the pre-cut holes in the fuselage are too long. Will take pics tonite and send to manufacturer. It's a shame because the stab install is a clean way of hiding the servos. Putting them on the side of the fuselage is a bit lazy.
Last edited by DominicM; Mar 18, 2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Ditchit: Received My Yak-54 Today & The First Thing I Noticed Was That The Stabs Are Just Like Yours. I Held a Light Up to The Side Of the Fuselage & Noticed The 2 Pre-Cut Servo Holes Just Above the Rudder Cable Exit. The Pre-Cut Servo Holes Appear to Be Close to The Servo Size I'll Be Using. I Am Going to Test Fit The Servos & Let You Know How They Fit. I Was Really Looking Forward to Mounting the Servos In The Stabs As It Makes For a Much Cleaner Look!! Cheers: Joe
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:16 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Yup. Seems that way. I cut away the film with a soldering iron. All the precut holes are 40mm for standard size. Ordering my servos. Will fit hardware in next couple of days and fit my electric motor.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Ditchit: I Just Did The Same Thing & Glad We Both Found Out There Cut For Standard Sized Servos. I Am Going to Power The Yak With a Hyperion Z5045-18 Motor & 12 Cells. It Should Perform Really Well!! Good Luck With Your Yak.

Happy Flying: Joe
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:22 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Nice. Z50s good motor.

Having so many projects has forced me to go the economy route. Am powering mine with HXT 80-100-A 180Kv from Hobby City.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5139

Will start with 12 cells and see how it performs.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:06 AM
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Hi Dichit: I Was Really Bummed When I Saw The Tunnel On the Bottom Of The Fuselage For The Canister Type Mufflers For a 50CC Motor. The Pictures On The Website Show a Different Design. I Am a Little Disappointed That The Manufacturer Changed The Design From the first Production Run. I Am Going to Add Some Stingers & a Bulkhead To Close the Tunnel Off. Cheers:Joe
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:39 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Tunnel may be good location for hanging the ESC or maybe even the lipos in the breeze me thinks. Create a simple shelf for the ESC to sit on and it'll never even warm up. Am going to try first with the Sentilon 110A 12S ESC but suspect with this motor I'll have to got for a Jeti 200A. What ESC you going with on your Z50? Titan HV? I doubt you will think of doing it but I did find that the Sentilon does not work with the Z50 motors. Timing problems. Best to stick with Hyperion all the way on the power system if you can.

Test pilot selected. The guy in the plane not the guy holding it.

Just to add that I went for these servos. Again what I would consider bargain basement for a 15KG digital servo. Amazing how the price of some of this stuff has come down over the last 18 months but the strength of the Queen's pound could have somethnig to do with it.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6334

Model: HD-9150MG
Voltage: 4.5v~7.2v
Speed: .17sec
Torque: 15.8kg/cm
Bearings: 2BB
Gears: Metal
Weight: 60g
Size: 40x20x37mm

You got any planes for backup RX/servo power? regulators, batt share etc? Flying Spektrum TX/RX and want to avoid dreaded low voltage AR700 RX reset at all costs. Am going to research options this weekend but would be interested to hear what you are considering if anything.
Last edited by DominicM; Mar 19, 2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:52 AM
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Hello: Your Suggestion Of Placing the ESC & Or The Lipo's Is an Excellent Idea!! Ive Read That the Sentilon Is A Very Good ESC. I''ll Be Using a Castle Creations 110 HV ESC & 5 Towerhobbies T-S150 Servos (193) OZ Of Torque @ 6V. For My The Receiver Will Be a JR 9100 (2.4 Ghz) & a Dimension Engineering 6V Voltage Regulator. For My Receiver Power I"ll Be Using 2 2s 2500 Mah Packs. I Ordered a Set Of Carbon Fiber Landing Gear For The Aero-Works 50CC Yak-54 From Graph-Tech. The Picture Of The Yak Looks Very Nice & The Pilot Seems Ready To Fly!!! Take Care:Joe
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:59 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Hi Guys...I just finished building a Extreme Flight Yak 54, and this kits has some striking similarities. (including the embedded elevator servo). The thread we used to build this plane is here:

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tml#post417336
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:00 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Yardbee and I have found that our kits have design change where the elevator servos are mounted on the side of the fuselage. Disappointed with this. For larger quality models you expect a bit more thought on design. What's even more ridiculous is that the instruction manual hasn't changed.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit
Yardbee and I have found that our kits have design change where the elevator servos are mounted on the side of the fuselage. Disappointed with this. For larger quality models you expect a bit more thought on design. What's even more ridiculous is that the instruction manual hasn't changed.
Remember where you got it! I have quite a few Nitro models planes. Like GWS great price but you have to give up something. I have been watching this thread, might have to get one.
Chuck
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:33 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Price is right. I would be very interested in your folks who get the kit...post individual weights on the component parts. It seems that Nitro Models is chasing QQ Yak 86, or the EF Yak 88, or the maybe the Aeroworks. It would be nice to figure out which design they "ripped off"

- Richard
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton