HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2003, 10:07 PM
Oliver BC Canada
Joined Nov 2002
189 Posts
Guillow's FOKKER DR-1 TRIPLANE

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone has converted or considered converting the Guillow's DR-1 Triplane to a RC parkflyer.
http://www.guillow.com/GuillowDetail...=18&FamilyId=1
It is much smaller then the other DR-1 kits on the market, but with the right motor battery combination it should be do-able, and it is such a nice looking balsa kit.
Here is a picture of the uncovered DR-1 kit
http://www.guillow.com/HiResImg.asp?prod=204

I built one of these Guillow's Dr-1 kits over 20 years ago for control line,,,, I remember wishing they would make RC gear small enough to fit in that little plane. Well I think it's possible now, but I don't exactly know what motor/battery combination would work for this plane. Would like to hear from someone who has tried it, or at least some people's views on the feasibility.

Randall
Randall is offline Find More Posts by Randall
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2003, 10:48 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Randall,
For 20" span that DR-1 is built like a truck. Would need to lighten it quite a bit, I would think.
My experience is in converting a 30" rubber kit, for GWS IPS power and 300 mAh NiMH. You would need a smaller motor (I think) and lighter pack.
There have been some threads discussing Guillows kits and the feasability of converting them. I think more over on the scale forum. You might try a search.
BTW I started out building Guillows kits 30 years ago and I also dreamed of remote controlling them. The hobby is finally fulfilling our dreams, huh?
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jan 07, 2003, 09:36 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,577 Posts
I ran across some guillows laser cut kits in a store over the weekend. I didn't even know they made laser cut kits. Anyway if I recall they were about 30" ws range and if they are newly engineered maybe better candidates for rc.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jan 07, 2003, 09:46 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,666 Posts
Yup, I've done a Guillows DR-1 conversion. It flew but not great. I used a DX-A motor and either a rechargable 9V battery or 7 300 mah NiMh cells.

I'm sure if you do a search more than one thread will emerge (I read one before building mine) but here's the one I started about my project:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=guillows+dr1

When I bring this one back to flight ready it will be with the DX-A gearbox -- but with an EDF motor and that 7x6 prop. The 9x6 looked wierd.

You could also get a lower gear ratio DX motor (an S1 or S2) and go that way.

Getting the weight far forward enough is the trick with this model. Tail heavy will kill you and there's not much fuse forward of the CG.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Jan 07, 2003, 05:20 PM
Oliver BC Canada
Joined Nov 2002
189 Posts
Melfsmite
I actually read that thread (and a couple others) last night after D W suggested I do a search in the scale forum. I did previously try a search of the entire electric forum for Guillow fokker DR1, but came up with nothing...
Anyway, your DR1 looks good, looks like you used a lot of, or some very thick, paint.
It is encouraging that it did fly. but you mention that it flew funny "plane wants to drop its tail/strange crabbing motion" You also mention that you modified the ailerons and I assume you didn't go with a servo for rudder control. Do you think that with some rudder input on the turns that they might be more coordinated?
Personally I would like to see if it could be made to fly properly with as an aileron plane rather then putting dihedral into the wings, there are already kits out there with dihedral wings, though none as small as the Guillow's that I know of. I can't see any reason why it couldn't be made to work properly with ailerons.
Also, you don't really mention why you moved the ailerons back an extra 1/4". Not that that likely has anything to do with the strange flying characteristic, but I am curious why you made that modification?
As far as modifications, how about extending the fuselage in front of the wings a bit (say 1/2") to get the firewall and motor a little further forward to help balance the CG?
As well, I would imagine any and every small weight saving idea or modification would help the flight performance in the end. Someone suggested using a small Li-poly pack to save weight. I can't help but see that making a huge difference as well. I recently just got back into RC and bought a slowstick type plane (Pleaser) and a few battery packs for it. A 8 cell 750 mah NiMh pack, almost not usable because it's too heavy, a 8 cell 300 mah NiMh, works but nothing to scream about, and a 1020 mah Kokam, works fantastic, lighter then the 300 mah, which of course allows the plane to fly and climb better, and the Kokam last over twice as long. I only have one pack, but I plan on buying several more, the difference between the NiMh packs and the Li-Poly pack is day and night.
Anyway, back to the point, possibly a 560 or even 880 Kokam in the little DR-1 with the right motor, and the fuselage modified slightly to get the motor and battery a bit further forward of the CG ???? What do you think?
Randall is offline Find More Posts by Randall
Old Jan 07, 2003, 05:31 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
I say Go for it! You already know it's possible so it's not a lost cause. Should be FUN. I think you can save a little weight by removing some of those ribs.
And I am about to enter the world of Li-polys also. Looking to save weight. Got some great advice about what to get on these E-Zone groups. Thank goodness for this board. Don't know what I'd do without it.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jan 08, 2003, 04:21 PM
Balsa addict
Charlotte, Nc
Joined Dec 2002
726 Posts
DerpronDR1

I built a Depron DR1 by cutting out sheets of depron to match the guillows plans. It had a profile fuse that was not to pretty, and a little dihedral for Rudder and elevator. I put a geared N-20 similar to DJaerotech's in it and it was terribly under powered. I may try to put the dxa on it. It did float nicely.

SD
ClosetRCModeler is offline Find More Posts by ClosetRCModeler
Old Jan 08, 2003, 08:59 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
I'm planning on bashing together a DR.1 out of 3 sets of modified Lite Stick wings and a blucore fuse. The LS wings can easily be modified to look pretty scale. I am planning on powering it with the GWS 300's. We'll see how it goes.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Mar 03, 2010, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
im working on a dare hobbies dr1 great kit you should try also alot easier than trinying to convert the guillows fokker dr1
SkinnyPuppy208 is offline Find More Posts by SkinnyPuppy208