HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:24 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
Discussion
King 2 or EP100/EP200?

I've been flying a walkera 4#3, and #4 for a few months and am looking for another heli. I realize the King2 and the EP100 are in a different class.

Can those of you that have experience with both recommend one over the other?

TIA
-Kory
fretman is offline Find More Posts by fretman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
Anyone? is the ep100 lot more twitchier than the king2?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:21 PM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Yes EP100 is much twitchier and better. Crashes are more expensive - don't take that lightly.
I have both but fly the King II more when I need to practice hovering. I'm having trouble with my EP100, got vibration after a crash!!!
turnbui is offline Find More Posts by turnbui
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:48 PM
That whirly guy
Vivian, LA
Joined Jan 2007
830 Posts
I have the EP-100 and a Trex 450. I also have a Blade CP Pro but it isn't flying these days cause of needed parts that I don't really want to spend anymore on so it'd kinda semi-retired.

I've had a lot of balance issues with my EP-100. The battery that is recommended is a two cell lipo that is the right size for fitting in the frame but is way too light for the balance of the helicopter. It needs the battery from the CP Pro, eflight 800 mha. The heli needs expo on the transmitter for smooth flight. If you tune down the throws, it gives smooth flight, but really do need the long throws to recover from some situations. I have yet to go inverted with mine as it seems too twitchy. The tail holds well, but the whole heli is just about 1 size too small for my liking. If it were the same size as the CP pro, it be just right. Maybe an EP-200?
Bothersome is offline Find More Posts by Bothersome
Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
The EP100 is a sexy little assembly of tiny cnc parts. Relatively difficult to build and fly. Great heli for a clean build that you put on display.

The King 2 is a cheap, no-nonsense, highly customizable platform. Not the prettiest bird in the park, but relatively easy to build and maintain. Great heli for a trainer, or for general flying fun.

If this is your first CP heli, I highly recommend the King.

-Jeff
spinup is offline Find More Posts by spinup
Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I would add that I own the 4#3 and the King II as well as the entire E-sky line (sans coax, cool and king 1)

I also owned the ELE EP100.. not quite the same, since the quality was not great. But the smaller a CP is the harder they are to maintain.

For the money.. the belt cp is a better heli than the King II if you have the space to fly a slightly larger heli.

450s are a bit easier to work on.. and vs the King it requires less modification.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
I would add that I own the 4#3 and the King II as well as the entire E-sky line (sans coax, cool and king 1)

I also owned the ELE EP100.. not quite the same, since the quality was not great. But the smaller a CP is the harder they are to maintain.

For the money.. the belt cp is a better heli than the King II if you have the space to fly a slightly larger heli.

450s are a bit easier to work on.. and vs the King it requires less modification.
The only reason I haven't already picked up a King2 is because of that very reason. I don't have the space and don't have the time to really venture out to fly. I've also been flying the 4#3 and am having a great time doing it. Put the wife and the kids in bed and just fly in the living room.

I was hoping that a ep100 would fill the role of the 4#3 while able to handle the occasional trip outdoors. But if its really twitchy... indoor flying is probably not very practical for me?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:57 AM
zaw
Joined Feb 2008
194 Posts
My friend build one of those EP100, I helped him setup Throttle and Pitch Curves and I hovered in his living room, its pretty smooth for it size, just need little more tunning up to do and it should be a great little machine. If you don't pay attention it can move around and it is hard to make it steady again.

Only heli experience I have is doing tail-in on Blade CP, I can hover the Blade CP better then CX2.

Very nice machine but working with small screws in tight spaces could be PITA for most people, also they use aluminum screw/nut/bolts so magnetic screw driver don't help in most parts.
zaw is offline Find More Posts by zaw
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:06 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
I've had an MX400, and it was just a little too big for the space I have to fly. I live in a kite-eating tree ridden trailer park (insert Georgia boy stereotype here - I won't mind), and the King is just the right size for buzzing the empty trailers and sleepy coon-dawgs.

The 400 could only be hovered with a few lazy-8's before space became a serious issue. I can do high-speed runs, figure-8's, piros, and stall turns in my limited space with the smaller bird.

Still not quite enough space for nose-in practice or full circles, but the smaller size gives me a lot more maneuverability.

How big is your indoor area? Empty 2-car garage size? Go for the King, but drop the extra bucks to get one with a brushless motor already installed. JAG hobbies sells brushless RTF King 2's for $189.

If you have an outdoor area that's about the size of a little-league baseball infield, I'd say get the BeltCP. I've flown one, and man, that's a SMOOTH, stable bird. I even hovered it (it was nerve-wracking) in my protegè's living room.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:33 AM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
indoors, get the hirobo srb quark. stable hands off flight indoors and can fly outside on calm days. Or you can try your hand at the walkera 52, but it can really move so might be tough indoors.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:32 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman
The only reason I haven't already picked up a King2 is because of that very reason. I don't have the space and don't have the time to really venture out to fly. I've also been flying the 4#3 and am having a great time doing it. Put the wife and the kids in bed and just fly in the living room.

I was hoping that a ep100 would fill the role of the 4#3 while able to handle the occasional trip outdoors. But if its really twitchy... indoor flying is probably not very practical for me?
No it would not be practicle at all.. unless you are a very experienced heli pilot. The 4#3 is a great indoor heli, and to be honest.. I really see no need for any other indoor heli for myself. My indoor space is uber small and very obstacle heavy. So it's very challenging.. I sometimes set up an obstacle course inside to make it even harder.

The ELE EP100 was crap.. but I hear this new EP 100 is somewhat better. Still working on small helis takes allot of patience. To get them to fly well it will cost you as much as a 450 size heli.

Maybe the CopterX 200 is right for you? I know the name copterX has been getting some buzz.. you might want to look at it.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Wasp V3 or V4 would be better than CX200..
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whilrybird
indoors, get the hirobo srb quark. stable hands off flight indoors and can fly outside on calm days. Or you can try your hand at the walkera 52, but it can really move so might be tough indoors.
I've thought about the SRB Quark... are these on sale here in the US yet?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
No it would not be practicle at all.. unless you are a very experienced heli pilot. The 4#3 is a great indoor heli, and to be honest.. I really see no need for any other indoor heli for myself. My indoor space is uber small and very obstacle heavy. So it's very challenging.. I sometimes set up an obstacle course inside to make it even harder.

The ELE EP100 was crap.. but I hear this new EP 100 is somewhat better. Still working on small helis takes allot of patience. To get them to fly well it will cost you as much as a 450 size heli.

Maybe the CopterX 200 is right for you? I know the name copterX has been getting some buzz.. you might want to look at it.
Hmmm... why do you think the copterX 200 would be better thatn the ep100?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salat
Wasp V3 or V4 would be better than CX200..
Kostya
Arent't the v3 and v4 300 size? about the size of the King 2?