HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:37 PM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Discussion
Oil the main shaft bearing? What oil?

I watched a maintenance video in which the author said he oiled his heli every flight. What oil should be used? Is there a UK supplier of the oil, I searched RCMods & Heliguys' sites but they don't appear to sel it.
turnbui is offline Find More Posts by turnbui
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:55 PM
USA, PA
Joined Jan 2008
1,683 Posts
I'm waiting to see replies on this one also........ I've used a rc car motor type oil and had a bearing in my brushless motor develop play after 33 flights...........
As for oiling every flight.....I wouldnt.........It will get messy and probabbly attract more dirt .........it'll and up doing more harm than good...........

I think my next round of oiling is going to be a thin synthetic average car type oil..........

I wouldnt use more than a drip every 10 or so flights........or maybe I dont use enough and thats why i smoked a bearing already..........
jstcriusen is offline Find More Posts by jstcriusen
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:11 PM
wisconsin
Joined Dec 2007
243 Posts
After five flights, I remove, clean and re-oil my brgs., just a drop, w/common motor oil.
jimzpsd is offline Find More Posts by jimzpsd
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
i raced rc cars for years and the best scenario is to clean them in solvent and oil them with somthing light like 3in1 oil after every couple of runs ... but the truth is that its a pain, and especially in a relatively clean environment like the air it wont be really necessary, even if you do nothing to them, ever, they will likely last for hundreds of battery packs, also, in my opinion, oiling the bearings will necessitate removing them and cleaning them or all u are doing is washing dust and dirt into the bearing with the oil and shortening its life ... so if u oil them then remove and clean them in solvent first ...what i would do is forget about greasing them up and just replace them quarterly or twice a year if you fly everyday or if you notice a crunchy one when u have it tore down .....
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Last edited by dze; Mar 16, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:53 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
IMO: Tri-flow. It uses PTFE (teflon) as the lubricant. Super slippery stuff, and it doesn't get gummy or attract dirt like oil.

I feel a noticeable difference when I lubricate my main shaft and tail shaft with a couple of drops before a flying session. The bushings (swash, washout, tail pitch slider) are more important to lubricate than the bearings, but I'm sure a little bit of lube makes its way to the bearings too. Add a quick shot of aerosol silicon lube down the tail boom, and it spins like silk.

-Jeff
spinup is offline Find More Posts by spinup
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:47 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,317 Posts
I read somewhere where the Szabo brothers use 3-in-1 oil on their birds. That's it! Nothing fancy or exotic. I use it also. Just a little dab will do ya! Wink wink!
Brown Shoe is offline Find More Posts by Brown Shoe