HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2003, 06:03 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Who here is spending their kid's college money?

Anybody have any thoughts on saving for tuition? I'm doing the 529 plan for my boys. Just trying to get a feel for what everyone else, (besides financial advisors) are doing to sock away $$ without going broke.

How much help are you going to give your kids?
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jan 07, 2003, 07:03 AM
Bend Or
Joined Apr 2002
167 Posts
How Much?

Dont have kids IRS U Dog. But recently bought my nephew
who is 2. One share of BRK B. at $2400 share. Dont know
if it will be enough but thats what he gets.
The regular Berrkshire Hathaway BRK A was $3200
in 1988 now it $74,000. They never split.
Im not a stock broker, just telling you my opinion.
Brad
kapos45 is offline Find More Posts by kapos45
Old Jan 07, 2003, 09:52 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
You're a good uncle!

!!!
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jan 07, 2003, 07:37 PM
broom driver
Barnsley, Gods own Yorkshire, Uk
Joined Mar 2001
240 Posts
we have this coming in the Uk but there are no widely known saving schemes at the moment.

The blair goverment introduced college fee's on the sly and removed the remainder of the grant and now you are can see young graduates ending up 40K (sterling) in debt before they start the career.

Since the national average uk wage is 20K (sterling) we are going to be in trouble in hte near future, as this will put a lot of people off.
DanC is offline Find More Posts by DanC
Old Jan 08, 2003, 11:21 AM
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Apr 2000
353 Posts
My parents couldn't afford my books and tuition (or my Brother's) but they made just enough that I wasn't eligible for any loans or grants. No scholarships either.

We worked our way through school. It took longer (10 years at night for my BS) but at the end I had NO student loans to pay off AND had the added benefit of having 10 years of work experience in my chosen field.

I'm told that employers look favorably on someone that is that determined to get their education...

Where there'a a will, there's a way.
Phil G is offline Find More Posts by Phil G