HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
Joined Nov 2006
3 Posts
Discussion
What's the best way to replace wing damage?

This side of the wing hit a tree:

Should I:

1. Cut the section out, replace a piece of foam

2. Boil it with water and pull it back to original shape(How?)

3. Buy a new piece.

What's your experience that actually works?

Thanks,

Caliber
sigpe57 is offline Find More Posts by sigpe57
Last edited by sigpe57; Mar 16, 2008 at 01:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:49 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,560 Posts
Easiest would be a new wing set for $20

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...96&pid=V009284

Not real sure if 'elapor soup' will work here, but it may. You would have to stick the dented end into simmering water, not quite boiling. Don't know though if it will get that much of a dent out. I usually use hot water to re-straighten wings and control surfaces. Never tried on a dent that large.

You could try using micro-balloons and epoxy to make a filler. Then paint if you choose to do so.

If you cut out the piece you will need to shape a piece of foam to glue back in. But it is doable.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Mar 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:00 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Boiling water would melt the foam, and damage it.

You can try this method:

Using a covering iron, turn it on untill it gets to about 180 F.

Next, place a damp cloth or paper towel over the surface, and apply the iron to remove the dents.

Keep ironing untill the dents are either removed, or smoothened out.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:09 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..

You can try this method:

Using a covering iron, turn it on untill it gets to about 180 F.

Next, place a damp cloth or paper towel over the surface, and apply the iron to remove the dents.

Keep ironing untill the dents are either removed, or smoothened out.

True, thanks for pointing that out, I intended to write simmering, not boiling. One image in my mind but my fingers typed another. I will correct my post.

I have used the same technique you mentioned to remove dents from wooden stocks for rifles and shotguns. Works real well. But I have always used it for small dents.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:32 PM
Joined Nov 2006
3 Posts
"Using a covering iron..."

I don't have the covering iron anymore.
Build one from a wood kit when I was 16 years old. It was a bad experience. The whole plane was not straight. I realized building a plane needs a lot of fixtures just to make it straight. I have not build another one since. Just buying ARF or RTF.
sigpe57 is offline Find More Posts by sigpe57
Last edited by sigpe57; Mar 16, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:43 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Use a regular iron, it'll work just as well, be sure to have a cloth between the iron and the foam, work it alittle at a time so you don't get it to hot(the foam will bead up and look like rough football skin if you over heat it.) Nearly boiling water does work as well, but again if your not very careful, the flat beads on the surface will bubble out. After it's back in shape, you can use superglue to repair the crack(atleast most Multiplex planes are regular super glue safe, but test it first just to be sure).
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:01 AM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Carbon rod, tube, and fiber work wonders when applied with CA. But it would make more sense to buy the new wing for $20.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:25 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
I've repaired several Multiplex and Strykers by dipping them in boiling water. Simmering or hot tap water didn't hardly do anything at all.
The deeper the damage the more or longer you have to dip it.

I even tryed to repair severaly damager Elapor by holding it in the boiling water for a while. it swelled up alot, but never melted.
Then I'd dry it with a paper towel and rub my finger over the swelled beads to reform the shape.
It will have to be dried for over a day, as the foam will retain some of the moisture. After it dried, I'd sand it to smooth it again. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
That's a huge dent. I'd replace it as suggested then cover the leading edge in packing tape. This will help with hanger rash and minor crash incidents like seen on your wing now. However, I'd fly with that wing till broken or damaged it beyond repair.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:40 PM
Joined May 2006
270 Posts
I have used the hot water on the nose of my ES and smoothed the foam back down with a round pencil.You will need a pan deep enough to dip the wing to beyond the bad dent.I would do this then CA the crack and fly that wing for many more flights.I will add be careful and dip the wing a couple seconds and look at it, keep this up and you will need to be careful not to get hot water on your hands, but it does work.Just remember to be careful.I know to be careful next time myself because hot water is hot!!!!!!! Slowdragon
slowdragon is offline Find More Posts by slowdragon
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:08 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
I think it looks worse than it actually is? No foam pieces are missing, right? You should be able to restore most of it by putting it in pre-boiling hot water for a few mins (only the damaged area), then work the piece that took the hit and got knocked down to bring it up to the wing edge. You can do this by 'pulling' that piece out and up with your hand. Pull it as much as required but limit the force so that it won't tear the foam off the wing. As you pull, you want to claw grip it in the compressed area and squeeze it a bit at the same time to coax the foam to relax. When you are satisfied, use the back of a teaspoon and go over the foam surface where the foam beads have expanded to flatten them down again. You will likely get most of that damaged leading edge back up to match the rest of the undamaged edge, but if 1/8" of it is still compressed in, just apply some packing tape or 3M extreme tape over it and that will strengthen and shape the edge again. Apply some CA to the crack before taping and you're set to go!

cheers,

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2