HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Buddy is beautiful and Tank is too. A German Shepherd and a Border Collie. Now there's a couple of darned smart dogs. You guys have those dogs right where they want you. Ha!
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Buddy is beautiful and Tank is too. A German Shepherd and a Border Collie. Now there's a couple of darned smart dogs. You guys have those dogs right where they want you. Ha!
PETE:
TANK IS NOT A BORDER COLLIE If you come across a border collie that is 72#,that can still walk,and not roll,I want to see him/her.
Now I like Border Collies and it is a compliment but they are not close in size.
TANK
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Nothing there to gauge the size but I'd bet a dollar to a donut that dog has Border Collie in it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Nothing there to gauge the size but I'd bet a dollar to a donut that dog has Border Collie in it.
Pete: the FBI crime lab cannot determine is genetic makeup. Coming from Kentucky nevermind. We have been told that he has Australian Shepherd(he does have droopy ears like an Aussie). Our vet thinks his short legs came from a Corgi. He has a lot of markings like a Border Collie. He has a paw that fills up my hand. One paw would be the size of all four on a Border Collie. His overall size comes from neither Border Collie ,Aussie ,Corgi and God knows what else, Burmese, has been suggested, making him larger than the aforementioned. We secretly believe that he is derived from all of these, and he got the best of each.
OBW
PS if anyone from Kentucky gets upset about what I said..... Lighten upit's just a joke.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Hey Old Goat Water. Ya got some better pics of Tank? Like from the front and standing next to you or somethin for size comparison? I'm interested in this dog. Pete
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Hey Old Goat Water. Ya got some better pics of Tank? Like from the front and standing next to you or somethin for size comparison? I'm interested in this dog. Pete
More pics to follow,I'm in my bathrobe now(I'm hoping you don't want to see that)
I have a big hand (I'm 6'2")and note he's not standing on it or it would be splayed out wider.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Nothing like a nice herd of feet to keep you company. My dad always told me that dogs will grow into their feet, he looks to be biggun,
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,218 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes for Buddy. He pulls like a Mack truck. Hoping he can learn to mow the yard soon.

As for the border collies getting big, I donno, our's tipped the scales at well over 70 pounds. Was one ton of seriousness mixed with several parts of bizarre behavior.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,758 Posts
Our latest American Eskimo is presently about 18 pounds, and nearly 1 1/2 years old.
He'll never go much more than 20 pounds, which is okay with us, because he can tuck himself into little spaces and get comfy.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
My Morris T. Cat.
I had him for 14 years, he passed over the rainbow bridge
in the 1990's. I just found some old pictures.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Looks like he was a good cat, Millertime.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:31 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
I can see your point about the size of the dog as Border Collies don't usually go more than 50 pounds or so.However there's no denying the classic black and white markings of the breed including the white tail tip. My Cinder is mixed. Her dame was Golden Retriever and Black Lab and the Sire was Black Lab and Border Collie. She is very intelligent (Border Collie) very independant (Golden Retriever) and a mature juvinile deliquent (Black Lab). She runs between 40 and 50 pounds depending on if the winter people are here feeding her dog bones all the time. The dog goes and sits at their front doors until they come out and give her a cookie. I actually have people come to my store and never spend a nickle. They just come to see Cinder and she eats it up.
No doubt your dog has a larger breed in the mix to give him the big size but you can bet the family farm that there is a lot of Border Collie in him and he'll probably live to be 13 or 14 years old. Collies just live longer for some reason. And he's smarter than you are in a heart beat. Mine knows what I'm going to do before I do.
In any case Tank is just beautiful and I hope you will post more pics of him when you can. And NO I don't need to see you in your bathrobe. Ha! Pete

Palm Lake and Cinder 024.AVI (1 min 55 sec)
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
Tank the wonder dog

After we had Tank one year we noticed he started putting on a lot of pounds. Yes, 91 pounds. We found he had a thyroid condition and have been treating him ever since. Even at 91 he was killing squirrels, etc. they couldn't escape him. So no one should be offended, using the AKC standard, male Border Collie's are 30 to 45 pounds. So this is why I say Tank is not a Border Collie. Whatever he's got in him, here he is and are we damn proud of him."TANK THE WONDER MONGREL"
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Tank is well named! LOL!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,450 Posts
Well whatever he is (Heinz 57), he is a good looking pooch!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot