HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:05 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Discussion
The Bagram Bazaar in good old Afghanistan

Me and some of the guys finally made it down to the Bazaar they have here on Fridays. A bunch of locals come in and sell thier stuff. Here's a few pics from todays walking around.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:13 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
A few more pics from today...
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:31 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Laine,
Wow, all that stuff for sale. The wood working stuff in really amazing.
How much does that "stuff" cost?

Bet you can't bring back any swords or that other stuff.

Did you get the bride one of those "outfits"?

Thanks for the pictures. Really impressive.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:04 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
Are all of those goods locally made, or are they imports from China? If they’re local handicraft’s I have a small shopping list of assorted sundries if you don’t mind??? I need a new prayer rug, a Burka for the wife, one of those spear thingies to keep the neighbors dog off my new lawn and possible an new water pipe, for a friend of course!
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:53 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
most of it is local stuff, some of it is from China, Russia and other places. The prices on most things is really decent. For example, those wooden bowl thingies, they colapse and lay flat... really cool. They ask $35 for them. Not a bad deal.

Pretty much anything in the pictures can be bought and sent home with no problems at all. So, if anyone seriously wants something, let me know and we'll get it worked out.

Laine.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:27 AM
RIP Bryce Russell Love U!
United States, AL, Headland
Joined Jun 2005
312 Posts
I could spend a LOT of money over there! Good thing you go and not me! When the kids see these pics they are gonna have a huge list of things for daddy to get for them.
kmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by kmopar69
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:33 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Thats fine with me... just lemme know and I'll get on it.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:11 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Those wooden bowls are cool...some of the craftsmanship is amazing. Do they have any puzzle boxes that you noticed? I see lots of jewelry boxes but it's hard to tell if they are puzzle boxes. I tried to find another one on my last TDY and they had never heard of them.

Those bazaars are good fun--I did a good share of my Christmas shopping last year at the bazaar.

Keep the pics coming and stay safe!

Jon
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:53 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,546 Posts
Wow, some of those rifles look like cap & ball with some rolling blocks and a couple of bolt actions thrown in. Good pics all around. Glad you guys' n gals' got out to see the sites and get a little relaxation in. How's the local food when you get out like that? Are the locals friendly or do they just tolerate you for the money? More pictures for the eatery Thank you!

Be safe...

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Old Mar 15, 2008, 01:10 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Well, the folks at this Bazaar are brought in from the comunity. There is no going off post to look around here, unless your infantry kickin in doors and such. I had much more interaction with the locals in Iraq when I was on the ground. Now that Im flying everywhere, you wont see me on the ground outside the wire unless something bad happens (again).

However, the few things I can tell you about the locals, very hard working, "normal" people, dirt poor mostly, who could REALLY use some "personal hygeine lessons" from us. Maybe a little deoderant would help. Im not sure how to take some of them. Many times, the little kids in the villiages try to throw rocks at the helicopters when we fly by... that cant be a good thing. So, my best guess is, for the most part, the majority of them are not happy. Or, maybe its just fun to throw rocks at helicopters... could be either!

Oh, and unless one of them has an arm like Nolan Ryan, there is no chance they will hit us. But, what worries me is those kids parents... if the kids are throwing rocks, daddy may have an RPG in his kitchen waiting for a chance to use it.

Laine.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 02:07 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
Do they have kitchens?

Those lever action rifles look like Martini-Henrys, what the British were fielding at Rorkes drift fighting the Zulu’s.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
RIP Bryce Russell Love U!
United States, AL, Headland
Joined Jun 2005
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
Now that Im flying everywhere, you wont see me on the ground outside the wire unless something bad happens (again).
Well, I like it that way! Well except for the something bad happening so lets not have that happen anymore shall we. Thanks!
kmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by kmopar69
Old Mar 17, 2008, 06:52 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Wow, i really like that chess set. Another great set of pictures Laine, keep up the good work bro.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:12 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
when you go to the bazaar you got to be thinking "Tijuana". i don't know if you can barter but....it maybe worth a try. next time you go, bring an interp. they will get you some great deals.

they have these things so "Joe" can buy his trinkets with American dollars. at the end of the day, the vendor exchanges those dollars for his currency. you don't want to flood the local economy with American dollars.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:35 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
I had a buddy who went to TJ to buy some stuff for Christmas presents… turns out the blankets and serape’s were marked made in China