Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 04, 2010, 04:24 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjimi View Post
Stu, the fact that you make some of the cleanest Foam IMO that is out there, we should all start calling you the Bad Boy of Foam! You are "Da Man" when it comes to pumping out these clean looking foam creations as well as flying them well too. I know every time I see you I want to check out your latest work. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the Mako you got going to see if there is any little tricks I can borrow( steal) to make mine a cleaner build. Hope to see you at Weldon soon. jimmi
Jimmi, can you guys come up next weekend? Friday and Saturday are looking good. I'll bring the Mako, it's begging to fly.
My problem right now is I can't "pump" 'em out. I'm trying to cut corners and it's adding time. One thing I would like to see improved on the JW is the spar cutouts but I'm sure that would add time and cost to the kits. Can you tell I've been wrestling with spars and P/U glue all day?
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:52 PM
Acton Ca.
Joined May 2007
239 Posts
I tried this new go fast mod on my old JW, I am having trouble CGing it..
Bill do you sell just a fuse?
Thats my new DS Special in the backround.. 90 oz...Saving that one for Weldon.
Parker Bob is offline Find More Posts by Parker Bob
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:13 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Bob. When I totalled my first fuse I ordered another whole kit from Bill and he sold me an extra fuse . I'm sure you can get another fuse and I found out it's good to put multiple stringers ahead of LE to behind saddle! On sides as that's where mine broke off. I think I saw your nose break at same placeLOL hope to fly with you soon. Jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:17 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Stu. We will try and be there at least Saturday. Spencer just went 416 at Mars so Chris will want to go fly his Kinetic (chriss) 100 Im building the only other 60 mako so it's the same for the most part. I really want to check your dubs and your build on the Mako. See you soon Jim
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:23 PM
Acton Ca.
Joined May 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjimi View Post
Bob. When I totalled my first fuse I ordered another whole kit from Bill and he sold me an extra fuse . I'm sure you can get another fuse and I found out it's good to put multiple stringers ahead of LE to behind saddle! On sides as that's where mine broke off. I think I saw your nose break at same placeLOL hope to fly with you soon. Jimmi
Hey Jimmi
I had those carbon stringers in the nose but they got sheared off clean..looked for a while but could not find the nose piece. I will probably find it another time I am down that way.
Parker Bob is offline Find More Posts by Parker Bob
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,280 Posts
bump
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:50 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,185 Posts
For those that have been looking for the pushrod exit farings I use on my JW builds you can find them here

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/aileron_p...QueryId=599462

and they are even on sale now
Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:59 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
These fit the airfoil of the Jdub real nice!
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old May 06, 2010, 10:40 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,185 Posts
Trashed JW

So about a year ago I ripped all the gear out of one of my JW's and tossed it in the trash can because I didn't want to repair it.

I crashed the JW at Jones pass into the rocks at around 170mph and broke both of the spars and this wasn't it's 1st time crashing it at that speed

The plane seemed to be pretty beat,,hence it ending up in my trash can.

Skip being the airplane freak he is couldn't stand to see the plane in the trash can so he dug it out and repaired it and installed new gear in it.

The plane has sat in his shop for over a year and then just the other day he decided to bring it up to Mt. Zion for it's re-maiden flight.

The JW just needed a click or 2 of trim to get her flying strait and level.
Skip rolled it inverted and it just needed a tiny push on the stick to keep it level inverted,,cool this tells us that the cg was perfect.

Then Skip dove it into the backside and in a few circits he had a new PB of 162mph. Man ya just gotta love JW's

Nick
Old May 07, 2010, 12:51 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
Wow, great story and a very respectable foam speed. Congrats Skip!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old May 07, 2010, 05:49 AM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
I love the fact that you can rebuild a JW and make it fast again!

My first JW was the 3rd plane I bought when I got back into the hobby some 3 years ago. After nearly 2 years of smashing, bashing, and generally mistreating it, I thought it was ready for the bin. I had already built another heavy one and didn't really need it, but it was there and I had time.

I did a very simple rebuild - 150 micron laminating film over bare foam - no tape whatsoever. Standard spars, standard everything except for a gooped fuse.

The best I had previously managed with this plane was 105mph. 3rd flight out with the rebuilt version netted me 144mph at the same hill. There is a video and a photo of our local hill (Long Reef) - the backside is flat, and it's less than 100' high on the frontside, so I was fairly happy with that.

The best I have ever managed there is 158mph with a brand new heavy (95oz) JW, and we had more wind that day.

Don't give up on your old JW's - just keep rebuilding them!!!
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Fairfield
Joined Oct 2002
76 Posts
What receiver are you guys using for this plane? Spektrum is what I am flying.
ecoliburger is offline Find More Posts by ecoliburger
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:22 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
I've picked up about 20 Hitec Electrons cheap on RCG over the last few years. I love 'em.
Getting ready to maiden a new JW around 4th of July. It's nice, I'm happy with how it turned out...pics soon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:32 AM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoliburger View Post
I use AR500's in my JW's. Full range, no remote receiver.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
cambridge nz
Joined Oct 2008
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoliburger View Post
I have used ar6000's for two year's mainly in sloper's' never had one glitch and spec'ed out models all the time...
electronutter is offline Find More Posts by electronutter
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:24 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,826 Posts
new one..now maidened and dialed in..ready for parker

bout 65 oz auw
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:34 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
OK Guys, Here are some build pics of the JW Mars special! Just received on Monday!
JW fuse process: Sanded round, 1/2" stainless tube in fuse to center of wing, lead strip embedded for nose weight, gooped three coats, bidirectional taped and 5mil NS twice for a total of 10mil. Next is 3m77, ultrakote and one more layer of NS on the nose. My target weight is 70 oz. I think it would go faster if I had instructions. I guess they got missed!

Gary
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Last edited by garyg4rc; Jun 29, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:40 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
I didn't like the stock vertical stab, it was way too flexible. New stab is airfoil shaped balsa laminated 64th ply. It's covered in 5mil NS and much stiffer. Both fuse and stab are ready for Ultrakote.

Gary
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:12 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,434 Posts
need instructions?
will this help?
most of the important stuff anyway.
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Last edited by prplgoat; Jun 29, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:35 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Looks good. I like the cannon in the nose. It'll go thru to the center of the wing?
Good luck in getting it down to 70oz. You're gonna have to keep it to less than 2 layers of tape I'd imagine.
The only thing I use the instructions for is to remember which spar to install first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:37 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Thanks Guy's, Instructions will help! More progress on the fuse. All covered and ready to start on the difficult stuff... the wing. This JW will be a Mars regular and needs to be heavy. Has everyone settled on the best proven bang for the buck servo yet? I know all the gear needs to go in the wing.

Gary
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:51 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
5945 digital high-torque. not too fast but durable to withstand the unlimited punishment these JW's go through. I have pancaked mine on the servos multiple times at 150mph and they are still perfect.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:54 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
Gary,
I can't tell in the photo but you normally need to extend the rear part of the wing cutout in the fuselage to clear the cores and more if you plan for the trailing edge balsa to sit in the fuselage. If you haven't made the wing yet I would suggest completing the wing before going any further on the fuselage.

I also agree with Stu. If you double tape and mount the radio in the wing, you will be at no less than 80-85oz dry weight. It takes quite a bit of nose weight if you mount the radio in the wing.

Good luck, she looks fantastic!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:28 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
Gary,
I can't tell in the photo but you normally need to extend the rear part of the wing cutout in the fuselage to clear the cores and more if you plan for the trailing edge balsa to sit in the fuselage. If you haven't made the wing yet I would suggest completing the wing before going any further on the fuselage.

I also agree with Stu. If you double tape and mount the radio in the wing, you will be at no less than 80-85oz dry weight. It takes quite a bit of nose weight if you mount the radio in the wing.

Thanks again for the input. I am trying to decide if I want to install a set of ballast tubes. With an auw of 70 to 80oz, do I really need more weight? Spencer had no problem getting his past 200mph with auw of 70oz.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:30 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
5945 digital high-torque. not too fast but durable to withstand the unlimited punishment these JW's go through. I have pancaked mine on the servos multiple times at 150mph and they are still perfect.
Having difficulty locating the Hitec 5945. Are they still made?

Gary
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:45 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg4rc View Post
Having difficulty locating the Hitec 5945. Are they still made?

Gary
I hope so, they were cheap and reliable. You could go all out and get 7955TGs, Jason swears by them:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...hs-7955tg.html

and here is the 5645 (oops on the number earlier):

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...hs-5645mg.html
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:53 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Gary,
Here Here!
I have just finished my DS Special wing and fuz. NOw the fuz fhas ripples at the back due to the fatness of the wing with all the tape, solartex, NS and goop...
Still Adam has suggested a few mods to aleviate this... I'll try it later and let you know how I get on.
But on reflection, I would have finished the wing first, adjusted the fuz to fit then worked on the fuz.
never mind!
George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:41 AM
DS Will Change Your Life!
Parker Mtn / Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
779 Posts
I had the digital JR 5996 with the titanium gear set in my last JW, I'm throwing them back in my new future JW. They are the bomb! Did the 7955TGs replace them?
_Sloper is offline Find More Posts by _Sloper
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:07 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Help please! I have started on the wing of the DS special and realized there are two shorter spars. Just wondering where to locate the shorter spars. Ballast tubes or no ballast tubes?

P.S. Trying to build without instructions.
Thanks, Gary
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:14 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Gary, I have one of those kits in my shop and I think it has instructions. Let me know if you need help later and I will dig them up.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:02 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Gary, I have one of those kits in my shop and I think it has instructions. Let me know if you need help later and I will dig them up.
Thanks Joe, I am hoping bill will e-mail them to me very soon! If not I may go for a ride to your shop.

Thanks,

Gary
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
What do you guys think of these for servos? There on sale at HP

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/474551.asp

Gary
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:40 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Help! I think I have gone as far as I can without instructions. I need details on servo location. What elevon size should I cut. How far inboard do I need to cut for best results. This is going to be a heavy mama and used only for DS circuits.

btw... it will have a rubber nose cone when done!

Thanks,
Gary
Last edited by garyg4rc; Jul 01, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:46 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
I thought the second spar came from the rear forward. Am I missing something? Maybe that was the Cali special? Looks good, dont overthink it. Put some Hitec 5955TG's in it so you wont have to cut it open and dont look back. I might have an old crusty set around the shop.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:58 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
I thought the second spar came from the rear forward. Am I missing something? Maybe that was the Cali special? Looks good, dont overthink it. Put some Hitec 5955TG's in it so you wont have to cut it open and dont look back. I might have an old crusty set around the shop.
Joe,
Can't overthink it when your not much of a thinker. I may come by the shop since I'm stuck on the last details.

Gary
Old Jul 01, 2010, 11:13 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Give me a call, and when I said "old crusty" i meant the case. If I do have a set they are good as new. The 5955TG's are older servos and I think I might have two. They are a great servo for the JW. The D80's are using the newer version 7555TG's or even the 7950 TG's. Just get some titanium gears in it and you will have plenty of servo and they probably will never break even in a crash. Clevises and horns break first. That will come in handy trust me.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:57 PM
Petaluma, Ca
Joined Nov 2004
95 Posts
I have a pdf file of the instructions for the standard version. It is pretty much the same as the special. If you pm me your email address I can send them to you.
dbcaster is offline Find More Posts by dbcaster
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:50 AM
no pain, no pain
Brazil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Dec 2006
174 Posts
Hi , I'm also building the standard JW60 , Bill didn't send me the printed manual and as this is my first JW build need it to start. Bill told me that he is not in town and will send me only in the weekend.
will send you a PM.
marcioh is offline Find More Posts by marcioh
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:42 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Not really any instructions for anything but the basic build. All the info you need is in this thread: Where to put the servos v(11-12" outboard), what folks are using for fixed TE (2-7"), Etc.
The short spars are for the bottom but you'd find that out as soon as you try to install them. Oops, looks like you put 'em in wrong. No worries, I'm just surprised they fit. Make sure you put in some reflex in the fixed parts, how much is the big question.
I agree that the TG servos are best if you can afford them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:21 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Ok, Made more progress and moving right along. Radio installed and I'm half way through the strapping tape process.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:22 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
I like that fin!

After 5 days flying 4 different JW's I've decided to go back to basics. My next "all around-sub-WR speed-JW" won't have any fixed TE parts. Easier to build and set up, and the gain isn't that great speedwise, IMO. I really like the way my original green beater flies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:35 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Snapped a coupla pics of my latest up on the hill in Weldon. Only got a 196 on her maiden weekend but it's not really dialed in yet. Still working on a perfect CG and it tucks a little at very high speeds probably due to elevon flex.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:56 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Anybody ever nail that rock with their plane? I'll bet it doesn't have much give
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:14 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
More progress on the JW Mars hill special. Wing is taped and one layer of 5mil NS. Very smooth!!!!! Next comes Ultrakote covering and one more layer of 5mil NS. As for the elevons, I was going to reinforce with plywood in the horn area, cover in NS then Ultrakote for stiffness. Any thoughts ??

Gary
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:24 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
I like that fin!

After 5 days flying 4 different JW's I've decided to go back to basics. My next "all around-sub-WR speed-JW" won't have any fixed TE parts. Easier to build and set up, and the gain isn't that great speedwise, IMO. I really like the way my original green beater flies.
Good to know! I'm also going this route to avoid setup issues. Many people are posting flexing elevons at high speed. I may go 10mil NS on the elevons for extra stiffness.

Gary
Old Jul 06, 2010, 09:36 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Good to know! I'm also going this route to avoid setup issues. Many people are posting flexing elevons at high speed. I may go 10mil NS on the elevons for extra stiffness.

Gary
10mil new stuff worked fine for my WR dub.

Nick
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:29 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Quote:
As for the elevons, I was going to reinforce with plywood in the horn area, cover in NS then Ultrakote for stiffness. Any thoughts ??

Gary

That is pretty much exactly what I did for my 117oz dub. I also put a thin carbon trailing spar on the elevons and it has fixed portions inboard and outboard. Since it's my first JDub I'll have one or two changes if I build another. I'll make the vertical stab more foiled and fatter and beef up the fuse more with some longerons. This one's been flying for a long time and a lot of miles and it's still in great shape because I put a lot of spars in the wings. Seemed to work fine it’s last flight @ 219mph and if I wasn't getting 380mph out of an 80", (you gota love the D80) it probably would have seen more air time that epic day and gone faster. Hoping Norco gives up some big air this fall!!!

Chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Last edited by daboz; Jul 07, 2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: 117oz dub
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:30 PM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
More progress on the JW Mars hill special. Wing is taped and one layer of 5mil NS. Very smooth!!!!! Next comes Ultrakote covering and one more layer of 5mil NS. As for the elevons, I was going to reinforce with plywood in the horn area, cover in NS then Ultrakote for stiffness. Any thoughts ??

Gary
Looking good dude!
+1 on the fin. narce!
Regards
George
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:58 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo420 View Post
Looking good dude!
+1 on the fin. narce!
Regards
George
George, The fin is 1/32 ply sandwiched in balsa and airfoil shaped covered in 5mil ns then ultrakote and one last layer of ns. It's the proven method that has worked well for the Moth with many midairs and poundings into the ground. The JW is now completely covered and it's on the final stages of completion. Auw is 66oz so far.

Gary
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:40 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboz View Post
That is pretty much exactly what I did for my 217oz dub.

Chris
Holy Crap 217oz dub what?

Nick
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:04 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Thanks Nick, maybe the 72" could get that heavy and work well, but no, I made a boo, boo it's the old 117oz dub that's been flying around for a long time.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Hope to see ya at Norco soon...

Chris
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:07 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Ok Guy's. All done and ready for maiden! J dubs auw is 88oz. It's pretty much built as tough and streamlined as my own build techniques can get it. It won't be a WR breaker, but it may get me close.

Btw...the visible compression hinges are actually under a layer of NS.

Thanks again for those who chimed in on the build.

Gary
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:41 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
sweeeettttt
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:47 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Why isn't it a record contender? Should go fine. Honestly, anybody that brings a halfway clean JW to Mars on a good day can take the current record no problem as long as they have the thumbs. I have gone 200+ a couple times there with just mediocre conditions. Never tried a good foamy on one of the big days. Ill bet that your JW can go 250+ at mars. I have gone 200+ on the third lap there with a JW.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:48 PM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Nice one Gary!
Just need to cover the rons and ballence and mine is good to go. Stills when I have.
Go Fast dude!

George
Old Jul 09, 2010, 11:08 PM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
That JW looks HOT!!!

I've always thought about doing my foamies in that scheme to match all my crunchies (They all have that scheme). Might have to put in an order for some different covering film!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:00 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Sorry guys, Forgot about the bottom pic.

Gary
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:51 AM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,495 Posts
You've got a real purty mouth JW. Looks fast to me - nicely done
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:54 AM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
NICE!

Mighty fine looking ladies there brother nice work
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:15 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Guys, The JW maiden went perfect!! I'm very happy with the end result. The JW flew awsome !! Just a couple of cliks of trim and it tracked straight as an arrow. It was ballanced with the CG at exactly 2 5/8 and I think it was perfect. I'm very certain this will be very fast on the backside as it was grooving very well on the front. The advantage of a JW as a great DS trainer is it's ability to carry weight so well. This JW has many layers of goop, tape and 5mil NS on the wing and fuse and was purposely built with only strength in mind. It's a typical JW, and it tracked like it was on rails!

Gary
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:00 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Narce Gary!
Yahooo!
George
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:40 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
That's a 200 MPH'er for sure. The only thing I would suggest is to add a couple more screws to those control horns and once you are happy with your linkages hit the threads with some loctite.
Bring it out to Weldon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:57 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
The Puzzler DS Special JW

Well at long last finaly got the 'Puzzler' finished and maidened.
A bit on the fat side at 5lbs 91/2 oz. ( 153 and an arf oz)
I'm not realy sure how that happened... too much goop I think.

Twin ballast tubes, a la Lambretta
5 cell battery.
All electrics in the wing.
New Stuff (supplied with the ds special)
Colour by 'Sharpie's' on white solartex with black tex where there aint no colour.
Drawn out and coloured in by Chrissie, thanks babe, took about 10 hours to do all the marking out and colour coding etc.
Maiden flight in Peak District UK.
All good once the elevator was drasticly rated down.
105mph top speed on a rubbish day.
I'm looking forward to getting it dialed in a bit more.
cog 67cm. (2 5/8ths)
Ballence & Hingeing by Adam Lambretta
Stills by Zim
I have now coloured the hinge tape with Sharpies (... lol) and covered and coloured the ballast bay plugs. Looks much better.
Go Fast Guys

regards
George
Last edited by Geo420; Aug 27, 2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: got weight wrong... 5lbs not 8... idiot George
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:19 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
I love it! Good move on the black/white bottom.
That's with full ballast, right?
Is that the heaviest JW?
How do you land such a porker? Very carefully?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:57 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo420 View Post
Well at long last finaly got the 'Puzzler' finished and maidened.
A bit on the fat side at 8lbs 91/2 oz. ( 153 and an arf oz)
I'm not realy sure how that happened... too much goop I think.

Twin ballast tubes, a la Lambretta
5 cell battery.
All electrics in the wing.
New Stuff (supplied with the ds special)
Colour by 'Sharpie's' on white solartex with black tex where there aint no colour.
Drawn out and coloured in by Chrissie, thanks babe, took about 10 hours to do all the marking out and colour coding etc.
Maiden flight in Peak District UK.
All good once the elevator was drasticly rated down.
105mph top speed on a rubbish day.
I'm looking forward to getting it dialed in a bit more.
cog 67cm. (2 5/8ths)
Ballence & Hingeing by Adam Lambretta
Stills by Zim
I have now coloured the hinge tape with Sharpies (... lol) and covered and coloured the ballast bay plugs. Looks much better.
Go Fast Guys

regards
George

Wow !!!!! That's looking sharp, but a bit of a puzzler on the color scheme. Incredible weight at 8 1/2 lbs

Gary
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:04 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
I love it! Good move on the black/white bottom.
That's with full ballast, right?
Is that the heaviest JW?
How do you land such a porker? Very carefully?
Er... no thats without ballast...
It'll take a full 'predator f3f load of ballast too. 4 slugs in each tube.
I've 'nailed' the ballast tubes shut for the time being.

Lands ok to be honest, only done it twice so far.

Thanks for the comments on the colours Guys. Looks sort of 'Rasta Colours' in flight.

Regards
George
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
DS Will Change Your Life!
Parker Mtn / Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
779 Posts
Man geo, that Puzzle pattern JW is sic man!!!!
_Sloper is offline Find More Posts by _Sloper
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:37 PM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sloper View Post
Man geo, that Puzzle pattern JW is sic man!!!!
THANKS Dude!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:45 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,280 Posts
Need a couple good high res pics of the puzzlers, my email is l2airframes@cox.net

I can't even imagine how long it took do do those schemes

B
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:40 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L View Post
Need a couple good high res pics of the puzzlers, my email is l2airframes@cox.net

I can't even imagine how long it took do do those schemes

B
Will do Bill. Thankyou.
George
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
I just started my J-Dub DS project and have a few questions, whats the best CG? should I use carbon strips for the trailing edge or the wood ones that came with it? I'm shooting for something in the 80oz AUW area, is that a good weight? Your info will be much appreciated.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:52 PM
Deutschland, BY, Goldbach
Joined Jan 2010
9 Posts
Hi JLink125

my JW is in the 67 - 95 oz (1.9-2.7 kg). the CG is between 2 1/2" and 2 5/8" than is a funny plane. You can see here http://www.dynamic-soaring.de/forum/...read.php?t=260 the german list of my plane.

have fun

Jorg
jduggen is offline Find More Posts by jduggen
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:10 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
My JW is 84oz and needs no less than 15mph/gusts25mph to have any hope of getting going. 20+ and it flies great. Flown in 50+ too.

The light ones (<65oz) look like rippers in lighter air.

Heavy ones (100oz+) are very fast in big wind.

Good luck with the build!

(I would suggest bagging the elevons and vertical fin if you plan to make record plane)
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
I was definitely gonna glass the elevons but I don't know if I should use the wood supplied in the kit seems a little flimsy for a ds plane.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:20 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
I was definitely gonna glass the elevons but I don't know if I should use the wood supplied in the kit seems a little flimsy for a ds plane.
FWIW My 117 oz JW flys in 20+mph wind up to 55 so far. It has the original wood ailerons, and the coroplast vertical stabilizer. What I did was reinforce almost everything with thin carbon spars. The elevons have spars on the trailing edge and the leading edge and a bit of thin ply along the bottom. I ran spars with square cross sections up through the vertical stabilizer and put a small amount of thin ply in the center section, (you can see the ply in the photo below).

I think this is good for stiffness and last ability and it’s actually still flyable even after a few crashes. In fact last time it went fast it got to 219mph, (no flutter) and quite a few little bends here and there. The JW is truly an amazing foam plane for speed and longevity if you build it strong. It’s my only JW and I’ve been having a blast with it for a long time in all conditions.

Chris.
Last edited by daboz; Aug 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
Thanks Chris I can't wait to get it on the back side and set a new PB!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
980 Posts
daboz,

in your photo it looks as though the ailerons dont run to the end. i was thinking of doing this. can you tell me how far from the end of the the wing do the ailerons stop? also how differantly does it fly?

thanks andrew K
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
Here are some pics of my JW project so far. I added an extra spar and I installed all the radio gear in the wing, it's all spackled and ready for tape. I'm also going to run my push rods internally and you can see the exit holes right by the trailing edge. I just finished shaping the fuse and I added two carbon spars to help strengthen it up a bit.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:02 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Looking good. Keep in mind, for high speed, you should run fairly tall control horns. I use full size DuBro cut down to three holes. Your pushrod cutouts might need to be a little further forward to get the right angle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
daboz,

in your photo it looks as though the ailerons dont run to the end. i was thinking of doing this. can you tell me how far from the end of the the wing do the ailerons stop? also how differantly does it fly?

thanks andrew K
Wow Anderw I'm sorry it took so long to respond to your question??? I just noticed it? Anyway I just went and measured, 4.5 inches. How differantly does it fly. It's my first and only JDub so I have nothing to compare but it does fly very well. Seems great, I never expected to have such a good time for so long with this plane in light to heavy conditions!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:34 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
Tall horns? Really why do they need to be tall? Is it to reduce throw or to provide more leverage on the surface to reduce the chance of flutter? Thanks for all the info guys it's helping a lot.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:14 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
The surfaces on a JW are gigantic. If you are planning on making a heavy/fast one, tall horns and shortened bagged surfaces are commonly used to improve control and prevent flutter. I didn't bag my surfaces but used several bias layers of tape and the elevons are all busted up and floppy. I have been to lazy to redo them...should have done them right the first time
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:51 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
I was thinking of glassing them and also glueing a few inches of the elevons at the tips to clean it up and it would also reduce the size a little. I did cut them down some already though.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:36 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Here's how my horns/linkages end up.

I've fixed my TE bits anywhere from 4-7". I've made the comment that I probably won't on my next "all-rounder" and I still feel that way. They've all flown slightly different depending on how accurate you line them up, differential, etc. Spend some time to dial them in and your rolls can still be nice and axial.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
OK i'll do that, that's a cool covering scheme!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
So what would you Guy's recommend as my initial CG setting for a maiden?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:24 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
So what would you Guy's recommend as my initial CG setting for a maiden?
2 5/8" from the leading edge next to the fuse or on the front 1/3 of the spar if you can feel it near the fuse.

Nick
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,173 Posts
Ok cool thanks, that's where I set it already. here's how it looks so far, just needs covering, tape the fuse, and it will be all done, as of right now it weighs 83.5oz's
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:44 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Here's how my horns/linkages end up.

I've fixed my TE bits anywhere from 4-7". I've made the comment that I probably won't on my next "all-rounder" and I still feel that way. They've all flown slightly different depending on how accurate you line them up, differential, etc. Spend some time to dial them in and your rolls can still be nice and axial.
Can you give any details on how you built and installed those pushrods? What kind of clevis is that?
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:29 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Oops. Sorry Bill I was out of town.
I did a "How To" in the Rebel Build Thread that shows most of my secrets. The clevis is your standard 4-40 sullivan. I like those better than the DuBro because the look stronger and hopefully are.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:26 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,350 Posts
Ahh, thanks for that link, I had given up hope! Beautiful build too!!

I'll be building my first JW soon...
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your skills applied to a JW build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:57 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
980 Posts
doing my first half pipe with this technique. thanks 1000mph..

later andrew K
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:29 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
I've got a 1/2 pipe kit in the rafters. I'd like to see a few pics of your gear install when you get there. Still deciding how to beef up the spar and what servos: 225s or 94761's
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:01 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
I am getting ready to dip my toes in the DS water. Here's a couple of in progress pics of my first JW60. I'm hoping it comes in around the mid to upper 40's (oz.) range for frontside as well as trying to learn how to DS. I shouldn't have visibility problems.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:17 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
If one is applying 3 layers of tape, laminating film and shrink film, along with lots of goop, is it really necessary to first apply spackle, unless one is correcting wobbles in the hot-wire cutting, or smoothing over the servo installations? Would the first layer not adhere better to the foam without spackle in between?

If I have it right, spackle should only be required if you are adhering to the 60" racing rules which specify a total flexible covering thickness of 175 microns, which typically equates to one or two layers of fibre tape and one of shrink film, plus glue, depending on which type of tape you use. In this case you don't have much thickness of covering to smooth over the dimples in the foam. But a full heavy-wind DS covering would appear to make spackle superfluous.

Building my first JW60, wanting to do it right!

Richard
Sailplane Nut is online now Find More Posts by Sailplane Nut
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:34 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,280 Posts
If you spackle your wing, it is applied as a very light skim. Sand it smooth vacuum clean, thin your goop almost to a water consistency, apply over the light weight this will actually bond the filler to the foam.

This also makes a good base for your tape, I am sure there ar 50 different ways to do this but this is how I do it. Btw before you apply your tape spray the surface with some 3m spray adhiesive.

Good luck with your build and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have

Bill

L2 Airframes
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:16 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
Thanks Bill, appreciate it!

Richard
Sailplane Nut is online now Find More Posts by Sailplane Nut
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:25 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
No Spackle necessary if your gooping and using triple layers of bidirectional tape. Make sure you iron down your tape! I use multi layers of 5mil laminating film on fuse and wings and always get an extremely smooth finish.

Gary
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:44 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
I can't not use spackle, but that's just me. In my experience, every little dent and divot will show even after 4 layers of tape.
I need a spackle intervention.
RCG Plus Member