HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Larry, that is very cool. Very cool that you had a guy from one of your tasks 30 years ago sign this one. Thanks for sharing the story and congrats on your great flight!

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2008, 02:51 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I met Joe at the turf farm today just after 10:30. The weather was beautiful. Then Joe tells me we're launching downwind so he can practice. I was thinking, "what wind?" but I'm good for giving anything a go. Joe steps up to the winch, gets off a short trim flight and gets a few bumps in the process. As soon as I get back with the chute, not being one to waste free knowledge, I launch right a bit on the way up. I come off and it's looking good. For 10 minutes I'm holding my own, then it hits. At 15 minutes I'm so high that I'm doing loops, flat spins and knife edge circles just to bleed altitude and having a ball flying aerobatics with my S. Lady. Joe is 5 minutes behind me and looking good but he's working a bit harder than I am. It's a good thing Jim wasn't there with his BA Gnome or we would have had to send out for lunch. Joe beats me to the ground with a 37+ to get his last 15 min flight in. Me? Well after a couple of more minutes I landed with a 44:53. SWEET!!! I made one of my landings later as well with the Vista. Not to mention this is the first time I had the longest flight of the day. What a great day. Congratulations Joe on getting your 15 minute flight in! Hope to see you Saturday.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jul 25, 2008, 01:38 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
Joe is 5 minutes behind me and looking good but he's working a bit harder than I am.
Worked a little harder my rear end!!! About 5 minutes of my flight was gravy. Up and down several times, I even made for the tape but caught a bump and scratched some more time but just could not get as high as you did.
You even got better lift in the area I had scrathed my A#$ off in. That little Lady beat an Aquila and I fair and square.
It sure looks good on the voucher to have three time the needed task, congrates and see you Saturday for a rematch

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:08 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Got my 15 minute tasker for LSF1 knocked out yesterday, thanks to Gordysoar and the loan of his Super AVA....THANKS, COACH GORDY!!!!!
Twizter68 is online now Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:46 PM
LSF 1359
Northwest Florida
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
1 hour duration for Level IV

Today at Harold OLF in beautiful Harold, FL I did my second 1 hour thermal duration flight for level IV. Thanks to Rick Lake, Lance Ropke, and Jim Hartely for being a great encouragement. What a beautiful day with tremendous lift.

Time was 1 hr 4 min 54 sec. Witnesses were Lance Ropke and Rick Lake.

The sailplane was a Blue Topaz S. Purchased from Skip Miller Models. Great RES ship!

Larry Pitts
LSF 1359
sailfree is online now Find More Posts by sailfree
Old Aug 02, 2008, 07:57 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
way to go Larry. That's awesome you got both flights done so fast.

Your accomplishment brings back fond memories of my own level 4 thermal flights. I was so proud of myself. I got 3 one-hour thermal flights on 3 consecutive weekends, each time with a different plane.

Glad to hear you've picked up your LSF journey again. That is so cool.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Aug 03, 2008, 07:55 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Congratulations Larry! I just got my second 15 minute today. Of all things, I got it with a Tower Hobbies Vista. I picked up two more landings as well. I just need 5 more landings and the contest requirements now.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Aug 03, 2008, 08:04 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Level I is complete as of yesterday! Going in the mail tomorrow morning!

On to Level II!
Twizter68 is online now Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:13 PM
LSF 1359
Northwest Florida
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Great Work Guys!

I took off 25 years. I had completed most of level III I needed 1 contest, 1 thermal flight and the distance requirement. The LSF still had my name and number, 1359, of course I still had the form. So I got my level III 28 years after taking a break. The LSF is a great organization. Level IV will be accomplished by next Spring.

SAILFREE
sailfree is online now Find More Posts by sailfree
Old Aug 04, 2008, 12:40 AM
2013 US F3K Team Manager(ret)
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,053 Posts
The "casual" LSF IV 1 hour flight

Some days are just better than others. We started the day with a thick marine layer in southern California, which means foggy overcast skies. I launch the Topaz just as some blue stuff started peeking through in spots. Just for grins, I have them start a watch. If I can catch some lift now, the whole sky will be going up once the clouds break up and should make for an easy hour. I'm still being really casual about it, as I'd been skunked three weekends in a row when trying for my hour. It got so bad I left my TD planes at home and just flew the DLGs instead for a few weeks.

Sure enough, after about 15 minutes in the sky is about half blue and there is lift everywhere. There's a steady flow of guys launching and landing, while I'm basically ignoring them and flying my own thermals way up there. 40 minutes in and I'm sky'd out on the top of a large gaggle. Things are looking good and some of the guys start to notice that I've been up a long time. With 10 minutes to go, I'm about 1.5 times launch height and figuring I need one more ride to get me to the end. 5 minutes later I haven't found that ride and down to about 200 feet when Dave B tells me there's a guy on the other side of the field going up like mad. He points me to the farthest guy out and I put the nose down to get over there. Seems like it takes forever to hit the lift, but it's solidly there. Wrap up the turn and let her circle until the timer hits the hour mark. 53 seconds later, it's on the ground and it's all done. 1:00:53.

Thanks to my witnesses, Dave Bukovich and Don Northern & to all the guys flying and spotting air at the TOSS field.

Looks like I'll have to get the Topaz charged for another weekend when I can do the 4 hour slope....

-l
dlgdude is online now Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Aug 04, 2008, 03:25 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,989 Posts
My LSF-III 30min thermal fly... with my DLG

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Aug 08, 2008, 12:41 AM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
Remember, DLGDude, it is about the journey, not about the tasks... Some day you will look back when you have achieved the V and will remember all those days, tasks, friends and maybe even the crappy weather you had three weeks in a row...

Joe
LSF V (and loving not to care anymore at contests)
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2007
382 Posts
Joesoar,

That is very true. Looking back at what we had then and what there is today I am amazed we made it. Craig Foxgord and I did the Level V goal and return in 2 hours plus in misty skies at Taft. A high tech Paragon was what I used and now an AVA could blow that time away. Craig's Big Al was a real slug as well.

I've yet to see you stressed at a contest anyway
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old Aug 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
I used my Paragon for all tasks all the way up to Level 4 and some contest wins of Level 5. After that, the AVA came out and I used it for the remaining two contest wins, the cross-country run and the 8-hour slope flight.

With a pound of ballast in the AVA I managed the 10K out and return in a bit over an hour in Rosamond, CA (Mojave desert). I put the Alti logger into it at the time to record my attempt. Basically scooped a thermal to the top, flew like mad loosing most of the altitude to reach my goal, looked for another thermal, and so on. Needed about seven of them... See attached graph - what a rush!

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:35 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,218 Posts
I spent the day with a few of my soaring buddies at the sod farm Saturday and enjoyed every minute of it.
Started out discovering a broken wire on the wing servos, DAMN!. The first buddy to show up set the turn around and did some landing practice after we marveled at the line break his son in law made me for FREE!!! Now I have a line break and pedal to rig up, damn more work.
Second buddy to showed up with a butane soldering iron and saved my day. While I was doing the repairs he helped the third buddy to show trim his Urge, very nice looking and flying plane. Then he helped the first buddy trim his Vista, it is getting better.
We all flew and BS a bit, buddy #3 had a bit of a setup problem with the Tx for his Virga. Buddy #2 reminded me of the advice he had given me the last time we flew together. I wrapped my hard head arond it and got the best two and last landings for my level II.
Thanks guys for a great day, see you Sunday for and even better day.
Joe,
The guy with the best soaring buddies around here.
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler