HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 02, 2008, 10:54 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I understand how you feel dwells. I would be well on my way to finishing Level II if it weren't for lack of "qualified" witnesses. It seems the witness part is proving as challaging as the tasks.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2008, 11:08 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Yeah Steve, gonna hire labor 21+ that can time, measure, read and write English and shag my chute for about $5.00 an hour .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jul 02, 2008, 11:15 AM
Elitist Sub-group
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
13,874 Posts
I had my problems getting witnesses at times during my LSF adventures as well. But, it really is a hidden part of the program. Idea is that by the time a person becomes a L5, they likely would have "built" other LSF members allong the way.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jul 02, 2008, 12:22 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
I would be well on my way to finishing Level II if it weren't for lack of "qualified" witnesses.

Keep at it. When I earned my level 2, I know I did 3-4 times as many landings as required. I did a lot of practicing in the winter. It was cold enough, none of the other club members were crazy enough to fly.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Jul 05, 2008, 08:44 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I finally finished Level I yesterday. Today I came close to my first Level II task with a 13:50. I had a great time flying with Jim Deck. His Gnome was over 1600' at one point. He bested me with a flight of almost 20 minutes. It was a beautiful day soaring. I can't wait to get out again tomorrow.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 09:53 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Congrats on finishing level 1!! Way to go.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:22 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Way to go Steve. How many landing tries to get the 5?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:44 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Really not that many. I don't land hard, I like to grease them in as I fly woodies. The plane I was using for the first 4 I hadn't flown in years. A little Dyna-flite Skeeter HL. I was launching from a mini-winch. (one of those made from a slimer starter) So maybe 15-20 tries. I had never flown from a winch before so I had to figure that out as I went. It got easier when I found I could just stand on the peddle all the way up. The last one was with my S. Lady on a breezy day. It took one attempt. Brought it in close and cranked it into the wind for a nice 3D elevator style landing. I think the next ones will prove to be a bit more of a challenge. 4.92' is a lot smaller target.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Cool, I really need to get after it and get those 5 knocked out. Got vaca coming up soon and will just spend a day or two getting it done.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 06:40 PM
Elitist Sub-group
Joined Feb 2004
13,874 Posts
8 hour slope

Here is a cool thread about Johny Berlin finishing his 8 hour slope last weekend:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893630

I hope this inspires some of you out there working on tasks. I know it inspires me.

Ryan
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:59 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
716 Posts
Now it is official

I have just finished scrutinizing Johnny Berlin's LSF Level V voucher and it gives me great pleasure to announce that Johnny is officially the LSF's 124th Level V.
A hearty, "Well done, sir." to Johnny on behalf of the officers and members of the League of Silent Flight.

Jim Deck LSF Secretary
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:02 PM
SoarNut
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2005
372 Posts
Yea! Johnny, how about doing it again?

Dh
spinolio is offline Find More Posts by spinolio
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:16 PM
Elitist Sub-group
Joined Feb 2004
13,874 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting the update, Jim. That is what I hope this thread is all about. Inspiring folks that are currently LSF members to keep at the program and inspiring those that are not members to start the program.

Personally, I'm very much excited about the possibility of doing an 8 hour slope some day. I need to earn about 2,000 contest points at two contests before I'm ready to take on that challenge though.

Ryan
Old Jul 19, 2008, 04:27 PM
LSF 1359
Northwest Florida
Joined Dec 2006
221 Posts
1 hour duration for Level IV

Today at Harold Sailplane Social in beautiful Harold, FL I did my first 1 hour thermal duration flight. Thanks to Rick Lake for being a great encouragement. And Thanks to all the guys at Harold today. What a beautiful day.

Time was 1 hr 8 min 40 sec. Could of stayed up longer, but was standing and neck was ready for a rest. Witnesses were Ray Fritz and Rick Lake.

The sailplane was a Ukrainian Buzzard.

Interesting note: Rae Fritz signed my LSF level II form for a contest accomplishment back in Jun 1977.

Larry Pitts
LSF 1359
sailfree is offline Find More Posts by sailfree
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:01 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2006
105 Posts
1 hour

Great flight Larry!!! What a day at Harold!
gliderr2 is offline Find More Posts by gliderr2