HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:14 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
746 Posts
One of soaring's little pleasures

Today, it was my pleasure to coach a beginner through one of his LSF Level I flights then sign his voucher as a witness.* Made a good day at the sod farm even better.******** Jim Deck
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:25 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Thanks for the coaching Jim & Joe. First time I ever got to use a real winch or see one for that matter. Way too much fun! As Jim already said, I managed my first 5 min. flight (with a witness) today. Later I did have an 8 min. flight that was the highest I've ever had a sailplane. I still look like this . One more 5 min & 1 more landing and it's off to level II. Thanks for everything. I'll be back soon.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Very cool. As you guys know, that story is what this program is all about. Thanks for sharing it.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
If the weather holds, RIGHT!! it is looking good for Red Hen next Saturday also.
Steve, that smile will come off your face by then and we can put another one on.
You guys remember the pucker test the Merlin gave me? It was a Switch on the Stylus. Up or down it dialed in 1/4" down elevator and over road the trim lever.Explains the two short flights with the stick pulled way back.
Jim, it was nice seeing the 3M Gnome gracefully floater around and the practice you got low level circling will come in handy at Woodcrafters.
Steve, you have been bitten "I've not been here before" flight, you are in for more and the addiction does not go away. Wait 'til you get that 78" wing looking like a HL, the Lil' Lady will think you have been catting around judging from your grin.
So welcome to Red Hen, I'll try and get up earlier next Saturday.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:02 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I'm glad you figured out the Merlin's problem. The loop into the sun WAS intense. I'm just sorry your luck was going so bad. Killing two planes in one afternoon is rough. I've been there. I plan to bring the 4M Discus with me next time as well. I just hope my glasses are in so everything isn't a blur. We need to get some meaasurements for your brake arm and I'll get it made up. I plan to build a winch soon. The drum will be the hard part as I don't want to spend $100+ for a comercial one.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 06:44 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
At 16 you can drive a car, at 18 you can vote and go to war. Sadly though you have to be 21 to be a LSF witness. After getting some coaching last weekend from Jim & Joe I decided to give it a go today at my house again. I pretty much had given up on my site as a good thermal area. Good thing I'm stubborn. I hit a sweet boomer and specked out the S.Lady today. I was actually starting to worry about getting it down. Stick in the corner, no good. Circled knife edge so fast I thought the wings would fold, still climbing. Inverted, still climbing. I finally managed to fly out of it and lose some altitude. Half way down I thought, that was cool, so I went back and there it was again. Sweet! I made 10:13. Only bad thing, the kid helping me out around here with some work...18. No witness. It was still a blast. Thanks guys. I just wanted you to know I'm putting my new knowledge to good use. Oh yeah, the stupid grin is back.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:30 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
What happens if you do tight turns inverted? That might make it sink faster, if you can't find where the sink is so you can fly into it.

LSF can afford to go to age 21 on the tasks. Being a witness is not all that dangerous or terribly arduous (though it does require patience). Therefore we are less likely than the military to activate a mental subroutine describable as "You want me to do WHAT?!?!?".
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:49 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Completed my LSF III today

I'm going to the Outer Banks in a few weeks and thought it would be cool to knock out the 4hr slope task for LSF IV at Jockey's ridge, in the shadow of Kitty Hawk! So today I mustered the usual suspects and set out to complete the 1K goal and return to complete my LSF III.

Normally we try to get in the air by 10 in the summer but we had a "cold" front come through last night generating some pretty big weather, so we delayed our first launch until 1:00 allowing some upper level clouds to burn off, and the field to dry.

The delayed start was a good call. We strung the winch, measured the course with GPS and came up with a plan for spotters, walkers and those power lines. With Gary, my normal contest timer flying wingman, we set out on the task after the 1st launch. My spotter Tim, kept an eye on my Ava, and the fire ant piles. Larry drove down to the pre-designated goal, with the other walkie-talkie.

Big thermals in Big D made for quick ride up to over 1500 agl and a nice lazy drift downwind. On this course, there is the matter of the "BIG HONKING POWER LINES". They serve as the southern border of our field; go up at least 120 feet. For today, we needed to get past them to get to the goal. Both EE's on the field assured me that the massive high voltage lines would not be an issue if I kept her nice and high. Turns out the biggest problem was getting confirmation that we'd made the task as Larry our spotter was:

1) surprised how fast we got to the turn point
2) surprised how hard an Ava is to see at 2000 feet AGL!

Getting home was pretty simple even with the light 10 MPH breeze. Topped it all off with a 100pt landing! This was not our first rodeo, planning made for an easy task!

Thanks to the guys from SLNT, I'll report back from the Outer Banks, time to start taking the contest flying a bit more seriously!

Dan in Dallas.....
SLNT Club VP and LSF Coordinator
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Last edited by Hostage-46; Jun 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:35 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Congradulations Hostage-46 on accomplishing your level III task!!! The pictures were a cool touch as well. Gives everyone a chance to see where others fly and adds to an already great story.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:14 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Nice one Dan!

Yeah, the power lines is no big deal, unless you land on them... My 2K G&R had similar size power lines and actually the AMA national flying site has similar sized power lines running through it.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:54 AM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Nice one Dan!

Yeah, the power lines is no big deal, unless you land on them... My 2K G&R had similar size power lines and actually the AMA national flying site has similar sized power lines running through it.

Ryan

Oh I know, but that buzzing and crackling sound is something I just can't get used to
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Way to go Dan, sorry I missed it. I thought you would blow it off with the way the weather was but indeed as the day went on it starting looking good. Congradulations!!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:24 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I live next to power lines. The buzzing isn't even noticable now that the brain tumors are getting bigger.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:52 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Way to go Dan, sorry I missed it. I thought you would blow it off with the way the weather was but indeed as the day went on it starting looking good. Congradulations!!!

Dude we need to sync the honey do lists
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:47 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Dude we need to sync the honey do lists
No doubt man. The only witness to any of my tasks are grasshoppers. At this rate, I should achieve LSF 1 status when I'm about 60 .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells